Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much did your parents impact upon your decision for your career/degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents went to good universities. LSE and Oxford. When it came for me to be choosing my degree I was torn between Economics or Law to begin with, thinking mainly about job prospects. But I spoke to solicitors and they said choose a degree you'll enjoy then do a conversion. So I ended up going for Computer Science. My mum has never minded what I've done as long as it is academic; heck my dad didn't even know what Computer Science was until I showed him a prospectus, but now he's been convinced and 100% behind me!

ReputationRep:
    None at all. I doubt they even remember what course I've applied for...

ReputationRep:
    My parents never 'wanted' me to do anything in particular in regards to a career or education, just that I got the best education as possible and got better jobs. So like, they would be happy as long as I do something that means I don't face the same problems in the future that they do now (money and the like)

ReputationRep:
    None.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistani Dad:
    "You can be any job my son. Doctor, Lawyer or Engineer. " Nah, I've gone down the IT route instead but I've managed to persuade them that it's good. My dream job has the word "engineer" in the title, depending on who employs you, but it's not really engineering at all really

Saying this, when I tell people Im doing networking, most people are like yeah OK

ReputationRep:
    Well we've always assumed that I'll go to university, that was a given... they had absolutely no influence on my degree choice though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JordanR)
    I'm just curious about this.

Everyone's heard of the ridiculous "all Asian parents want their kids to be doctors" stereotype (which does have its roots in fact, from what I've seen, but it's certainly not true for everyone)...

So, the question is basically the title: did your parents impact upon your decision? If so, how did they do that, and do you wish that you'd have more freedom to choose?
    :awesome: :bhangra: :yeah:

I guess you could say that my mum did have a lot of involvement in a way: after all, she taught me piano til I went to uni and I wouldn't be doing a Music degree had I not learnt any instruments! :musicus: That said, the decision to study Music was one I came to independently and my parents both gave their blessing and support. (I'm **** at science and maths and can't debate for toffee, so my dad knew I'd never be a doctor or lawyer :rofl: ) :bhangra:

My dad had an input into the unis I applied to though :yes:

ReputationRep:
    My Dad had no impact upon my uni choices or decisions what so ever. He would have liked me to do a science degree such as Physics or Engineering as he considers them "useful" but I struggled with science at GCSE so didn't take it any further.
    My Mum did in so far as she was looking up degrees on UCAS and showed me a selection, asking if I was interested in any of them. As it happened I was interested in one she found, but I could have said no. I think if I'd said I wanted to do Journalism or Media she would have steered me towards English (as an English BA + work experience puts you in a better position for a job in those areas) but my A-levels arent suitable for that anyway.
    She did however decide I couldn't go too far away- Leeds was as far north as she would let me look.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Zero.

My dad taught me a considerable amount of maths when I was young but neither had any impact on my education from late primary onwards.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.