Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a description of 'Scientific benefits' or 'Ethical Costs' for the Controversies they wouldn't mind sharing? I know examples of them, but no idea how to describe what they are (for the 3 mark questions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cello Ninja)
    Anyone have a description of 'Scientific benefits' or 'Ethical Costs' for the Controversies they wouldn't mind sharing? I know examples of them, but no idea how to describe what they are (for the 3 mark questions).
    i need help with this as well !
    someone please can you help

ReputationRep:

(Original post by *rainbows*)
    i need help with this as well !
    someone please can you help
    Scientific Benefit:

A scientific benefit in psychology is research that is carried out that improves our understanding of certain phenomenon in the world. An example of this is Milgram who showed ‘ordinary people’ are willing to obey authority figures, disproving the ‘Germans are different’ hypothesis. Scientific benefits also contribute to the betterment of society. For example, the development of treatments and therapies for the mentally ill.

Ethical Cost:

An ethical cost can be some sort of harm that an individual suffers due to the conduct of psychological research. Human ethical guidelines as laid down by the BPS include that we must gain informed consent, must protect participants from harm and must give them the right to withdraw from the research if they are uncomfortable taking part. If the researcher publishes findings that can be damaging to groups of people then the cost can also be towards wider society. An example of this is Jensen who published research claiming black people had lower IQs.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    Scientific Benefit:

A scientific benefit in psychology is research that is carried out that improves our understanding of certain phenomenon in the world. An example of this is Milgram who showed ‘ordinary people’ are willing to obey authority figures, disproving the ‘Germans are different’ hypothesis. Scientific benefits also contribute to the betterment of society. For example, the development of treatments and therapies for the mentally ill.

Ethical Cost:

An ethical cost can be some sort of harm that an individual suffers due to the conduct of psychological research. Human ethical guidelines as laid down by the BPS include that we must gain informed consent, must protect participants from harm and must give them the right to withdraw from the research if they are uncomfortable taking part. If the researcher publishes findings that can be damaging to groups of people then the cost can also be towards wider society. An example of this is Jensen who published research claiming black people had lower IQs.

I hope this helps
    this is great! thankyou

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know any theory that can support the role of prisons being good for prisoners ?

ReputationRep:
    That question came up last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    That question came up last year
    Ahh, that's good then

ReputationRep:
    you wil be ok, resitting unit to will help with PY4 with things likethe controversies
    and good luck with unit 2 and 4
    Hey, thanks for the good luck. Haven't been on TSR for awhile, just been grafting revision. PY2 went okay though Just PY4 left now but good luck too, I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what the questions were for Forensic, Memory and Levels of Consciousness in the January exam this year? I don't think I'll learn those so well, seeing as I doubt they'd use the exact same question in the next exam... :/

On that note, does anyone have any intelligent guess as to what the questions might be this year? Including the controversies?

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth adding some additional information that I havnt been taught?

In class, we have been given handouts which all the needed information, such as we would have a heading which is the question e.g "Discuss the decission making of juries" and underneath all the possible things which may effect decission making and studies and names which back it up - just explaining this as I heard that some classes dont get given the handout and have to rely on notes?

Anyway, to get a better understanding ive been using other means of research and found some quite good bits of information and studies etc. which have never been mentioned in class, and I want to add them as I feel they are very relevent and answer a lot about the subject, but in previous exams I have basically just stuck to exactly what the handout says, so I kind of dont know whether its worth taking a risk and throwing in some of my own information ive found or just keep to the 'safe' stuff.

I know there are alternative studies and information as ive seen some mentioned on here that I have not come accross, making me feel that its not essential for me to include only what ive been taught.

Probably might seem a bit of a silly question, but I have never really revised, I normally just scrape through exams but its important that I do as well as I possibly can in this exam, and therefore dont really know what is required from me to get the high grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali.R)
    Is it worth adding some additional information that I havnt been taught?

In class, we have been given handouts which all the needed information, such as we would have a heading which is the question e.g "Discuss the decission making of juries" and underneath all the possible things which may effect decission making and studies and names which back it up - just explaining this as I heard that some classes dont get given the handout and have to rely on notes?

Anyway, to get a better understanding ive been using other means of research and found some quite good bits of information and studies etc. which have never been mentioned in class, and I want to add them as I feel they are very relevent and answer a lot about the subject, but in previous exams I have basically just stuck to exactly what the handout says, so I kind of dont know whether its worth taking a risk and throwing in some of my own information ive found or just keep to the 'safe' stuff.

I know there are alternative studies and information as ive seen some mentioned on here that I have not come accross, making me feel that its not essential for me to include only what ive been taught.

Probably might seem a bit of a silly question, but I have never really revised, I normally just scrape through exams but its important that I do as well as I possibly can in this exam, and therefore dont really know what is required from me to get the high grades!
    The exam board recommends you do extra reading from textbooks to make your work stand out, so go for it! It's not compulsory to do more reading-round, but it will better prepare you for university if that's where you're aiming to go.

ReputationRep:
    I've got this exam too. I'd love to help with notes, but I'm so unorganised with my notes that I think I will fail because of that :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    The exam board recommends you do extra reading from textbooks to make your work stand out, so go for it! It's not compulsory to do more reading-round, but it will better prepare you for university if that's where you're aiming to go.
    Oh right thats good, I was just a bit concerened that they stick to a sort of strict checklist on what should be involved and anything else might be ignored if its something they arent as familiar with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali.R)
    Oh right thats good, I was just a bit concerened that they stick to a sort of strict checklist on what should be involved and anything else might be ignored if its something they arent as familiar with
    Not at all, if it's a piece of research they've never heard of chances are they'll be impressed! Even if you make a study up if it sounds sensible they will probably give you credit for it, although to be on the safe side stick to studies you know exist

ReputationRep:
    see we were all spoon fed the information at our college at the start of the year the teacher gave us essays already done but then halfway through just gave us the notes but only on 2 occasions were we asked to research our own information. usually it is harder for teachers to talk and reinforce information that pupils have had to go and research. maybe making it less likely that the students will remember it. I know from experience (resits..) that i need to be tought by a teacher i can not teach things my self. I need to the ability to be able to answer questions in class. what topics is everyone doing here anyway for the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy93812)
    Can anyone tell me what the questions were for Forensic, Memory and Levels of Consciousness in the January exam this year? I don't think I'll learn those so well, seeing as I doubt they'd use the exact same question in the next exam... :/

On that note, does anyone have any intelligent guess as to what the questions might be this year? Including the controversies?
    my teacher has made a tracker sheet and has suggested that describe multistore model of memory is one, controveries hard to tell cause its very recent but gender bias or culture bias is a loose possibility, for forensic the hopeful one is eyewitness testimonies cant help you with levels of consciousness we didn't do that topic we did abnormal psychology

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know any theory that can support the role of prisons being good for prisoners ?
    ive not put any supporting data for that. but from what i've seen on this thread I might do a bit of my own research. maybe just mention in the conclusion that from evidence it can be said secure institutions are not affective in preventing recidivism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellpastmybedtime)
    3. Forensic Psychology
    • Approaches to profiling (e.g. the US ‘Top down’ approach, the British
    ‘Bottom-up’ approach and geographical profiling).
    • Decision-making of juries (e.g. minority influence, majority influence and
    characteristics of the defendant).
    • Theories of crime (biological social and psychological).
    • Factors affecting the accuracy of eyewitness testimony (e.g.
    reconstructive memory, face recognition, attributional biases, the role of
    emotion).
    • Treatment and punishment of crime (e.g. cognitive therapies, behavioural
    therapies and zero tolerance).

The above is from the specification.
    The word from WJEC is that if it is specified here then they expect to see it in a students answer. You can see cognitive therapies, behavioursl therapies and zero tolerance.

This below is taken from the examiners report on the question asked:

Q.10 A shock for the examiners, as this was a very popular but poorly answered question.
    Many candidates wrote superficially with little actual psychology. It is also important
    to answer the question. Many quoted ‘zero tolerance’ policing, which is relevant to
    the question when considered as a vicariously learnt punishment (i.e. relevant in
    social learning theory terms). Unfortunately most of these candidates chose to
    discuss it as a simple crime prevention measure with no relevant psychology and the
    least successful treated it as an extended tabloid leader.

You will note the examiner says the answer was superficially answered by most and then goes on to cite the issue of zero tolerance and how it was not addressed or when addressed not done so properly

So just be aware. Its not often examiners use the word " shocked". It usually means it will be back on the paper ...... although I wouldnt like to say back for this sitting ( maybe next jan or June) but you never know they could throw it again just to see if the issue has been addressed.

Good luck! I hope its not there . I hope you get something decent like theories or offender profiling.
    this is rediculous I have 2 friends who are in a different psychology class to me and them and me included have never done zero tolerance we have done short sharp shock but nothing like that kinda worried if we get that

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried now we did death penalty, secure institution, cognitive skills programmes and social skills training do you think that is good for treatments and punishments of crime. also we havent focusd to much on the behavioural, cognitive, biological we focused on punishments and crime, they may or may not fit into those categories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I swear the WJEC exam board for this course is a joke? All the students just 'learn' an essay to which they regurgitate in the exam.
    OMG! you are joking.. this py4 exam is the hardest thing i have ever had to revise for ffs!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 4, 2011

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.