Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I told the university I am no longer sitting maths and they said thats fine as I don't need maths for the course. But today I got an offer of BBB Scottish Higher and I am only two highers and one advanced higher now so obviously they want maths. So what should I do now?

Phone them or just leave it? They are not my first choice and I already have an offer for my first choice (Conditional CC).

Thanks

Enjoy the weekend!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you're going to decline it then just leave it. If you want to accept the offer, even as an insurance, you need to contact them.

ReputationRep:
    Usually, whatever grade they expect at Higher will be considered the same as one grade lower at AH.
    So, in this case, they would normally accept a C in your AH in lieu of a 3rd B at Higher.

However, if you're 100% sure you don't want to take up the offer, then there is little point in clarifying this with the universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Usually, whatever grade they expect at Higher will be considered the same as one grade lower at AH.
    So, in this case, they would normally accept a C in your AH in lieu of a 3rd B at Higher.

However, if you're 100% sure you don't want to take up the offer, then there is little point in clarifying this with the universities.
    Thanks for that,

Is there really any point in having an insurance because this is how it is:

Napier: BC (sorry typo in above post) FIRM CHOICE
    Abertay: BBB
    Dundee: BBB + Adv H C
    Stirling: Waiting on reply

I think I will wait on Stirling to see all my possible options. But if I firm Napier there is not really a point in having an insurance as all other university offers are wanting higher grades. What do you think? I really like Napier been there two weeks ago and feel that is the university for me.

Thanks

BorninFinland.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BorninFinland;30774089]Thanks for that,

(Original post by borninfinland)
    I think I will wait on Stirling to see all my possible options. But if I firm Napier there is not really a point in having an insurance as all other university offers are wanting higher grades. What do you think? I really like Napier been there two weeks ago and feel that is the university for me.
    The way I see it, you may as well put an insurance if you'd consider going to Abertay or Dundee. Its basically like having a 2nd go at getting into university, so if for whatever reason you didn't get BC in your Highers and Napier rejected you, one of the others still might let you in even though they technically wanted higher grades. For example, you might get an A in your AH, then CC in your Highers. Napier might turn around and say, nope, we wanted a B in subject X and you've not achieved that so we don't want you... but the other two might be more than happy to take you even though you didn't quite meet their entry requirements. If you don't want to go to either of them (or Stirling) then don't bother having an insurance, but if you'd consider it just put your 2nd choice as then you've got your foot in the door at a 2nd university in case things go drastically wrong on results day, rather than then having to look at clearing.

However, you need to clarify the situation with all of the universities and explain you're only doing 2 Highers so the current offer is impossible to meet. Is it an admin error or did you write on your application that you were doing 3 Highers?

Napier is good I went to Edinburgh Uni and love the city so so much.... I knew a fair few people who were at Napier and they really enjoyed it. It seems like they've invested a lot of money in resources etc over the last few years, so the computing facilities etc were amazing

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=oxymoronic;30788996]
    (Original post by BorninFinland)
    Thanks for that,

The way I see it, you may as well put an insurance if you'd consider going to Abertay or Dundee. Its basically like having a 2nd go at getting into university, so if for whatever reason you didn't get BC in your Highers and Napier rejected you, one of the others still might let you in even though they technically wanted higher grades. For example, you might get an A in your AH, then CC in your Highers. Napier might turn around and say, nope, we wanted a B in subject X and you've not achieved that so we don't want you... but the other two might be more than happy to take you even though you didn't quite meet their entry requirements. If you don't want to go to either of them (or Stirling) then don't bother having an insurance, but if you'd consider it just put your 2nd choice as then you've got your foot in the door at a 2nd university in case things go drastically wrong on results day, rather than then having to look at clearing.

However, you need to clarify the situation with all of the universities and explain you're only doing 2 Highers so the current offer is impossible to meet. Is it an admin error or did you write on your application that you were doing 3 Highers?

Napier is good I went to Edinburgh Uni and love the city so so much.... I knew a fair few people who were at Napier and they really enjoyed it. It seems like they've invested a lot of money in resources etc over the last few years, so the computing facilities etc were amazing
    Thanks oxymoronic,

I had wrote on my application that I was doing 3 highers but my school dropped me from maths and I phoned up to tell the unis and abertay said it wouldn't be a problem. Will give them a phone tommorow. I emailed Dundee and they said it wouldn't be possible but I could do some introduction course in the summer but I don't want to go there anyway.

I did like Napier and was told that they are investing alot of money in the campus I will be going to. Napier will be my firm choice.

Thanks for your help and will tell you what happens tommorow when I phone Abertay.

Thanks again.

BorninFinland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BorninFinland)
    I had wrote on my application that I was doing 3 highers but my school dropped me from maths and I phoned up to tell the unis and abertay said it wouldn't be a problem. Will give them a phone tommorow.
    Do you have the name of the person you spoke to? Or if it was via email, do you have the email?
    Make sure you've got as much information as you can get about who you spoke to and what was said about it being fine to drop the 3rd Higher.
    You also need to contact UCAS to tell them you're not doing the 3rd Higher now, as otherwise this could cause problems with your offer being confirmed on results day if they think they're still needing a 3rd grade from SQA. You'd also need to double confirm with Napier (if you haven't already) that they know you're not doing maths now.

[quote]Thanks for your help and will tell you what happens tommorow when I phone Abertay.

Good luck - I hope it goes well for you

(And if your user name is as it suggests - I used to live in Helsinki I'm not Finnish though, I did a year abroad when I was at uni)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.