Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why new driver who over 30s get cheaper insurance than people in their 20s? I personally know someone who is 32 and passed his driving test 4 days ago claim full comp insurance for £600 i think ( i cannot remember the figure but i know it is a lot cheaper)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamZ)
    Why new driver who over 30s get cheaper insurance than people in their 20s? I personally know someone who is 32 and passed his driving test 4 days ago claim full comp insurance for £600 i think ( i cannot remember the figure but i know it is a lot cheaper)
    Because statistically, people over their 30's are less likely to be involved in a crash. Insurance companies base their quotes on statistics and statistically guys in their lates teens/early twenties are more likely to crash. Seriously though, you could have just Googled this. It's such as simple question.

Hands up everyone who knew the answer to this since they were 12 or younger.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info.. If forum never exist then i would have google up :P

ReputationRep:
    I guess the older the person is, the cheaper the insurance, not to sure though. it doesn't seem fair though that i at 19 and have held a license for 2.5 months have to pay about £300 minimum a month to insure something like a 1998 vauxhall corsa when older peole who also recently passed pay an alarming rate less.

i am hoping to get out on the road by end of this month or beginning of next for the first time ever on my own. I'm saving hard

ReputationRep:
    They still pay over the odds though to be fair. My next door neighboor learned at the same time as me with the same instructor and he is in his 30s, his wife drives a Golf and he got insured on it when he passed his test as a named driver on her policy for £800, which isn't cheap considering his age. Its half what I pay for a much lower class of car, but I was 17 when I passed my test and likely to be a boy-racer and crash immediately by driving up the motorway the wrong way so still expensive.

Insurance is simple, it comes down when you're 25 significantly, then every year, and if you don't drive like a **** it comes down a little with your NCB. If you can't afford to drive the car you want then that's just life. It sucks, but that's just the way it goes, how many young people do you really see in nice cars? If you owned an insurance company, why on earth would you give a cheap premium to a 17 year old (or thereabouts) who can't spell and is likely to smash into someone's brand new Aston Martin, or total a corner shop because you were messing with your iPod and cause £100,000 worth of damage? Insurers don't want to insure young people and I don't blame them. I am guilty of driving like a tit now and again but for the most part I try to drive sensibly, respect the car that my dad worked hard for to buy me and ride out my insurance so I can afford my own car sooner. I see young drivers driving like idiots every single day. The price is to deter us. If you really want to drive then you have to pay the price. Who wants to crash if their insurance is going to cost 10x the value of their car if they do? No-one
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by badger-man)
    Because statistically, people over their 30's are less likely to be involved in a crash. Insurance companies base their quotes on statistics and statistically guys in their lates teens/early twenties are more likely to crash. Seriously though, you could have just Googled this. It's such as simple question.
    This is the case.They may still be new drivers but people in their thirties are less likely to crash than younger new drivers.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.