The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths

Hi, I've begun receiving offers from various universities, but i have one problem... one of the universities (Nottingham Trent) has asked for a GCSE Maths C as one of the entry requirements.

Ill admit that when i was 16 GCSE's were the last thing on my mind and i didnt really try that hard, though i did get a couple. Right now im doing a GCSE maths retake but i dont know if the course is going to be cancelled or not due to the teacher's illness (hes been off for over 7 weeks) and all we've had are cover teachers who arent really qualified to teach maths.

I really want to go to this university but im not sure what to do, i'm just wondering is there anyway to explain the situatuation to the university or anything? Also is it possible that if i achieve higher then expected for my a-levels that they will overlook the maths?

I've already been reassured by a friend of mine who told me that his university required a minimum B at GCSE Maths, but they still let him in with a U lol. Could any of you guys shed light on the issue. Thanks.
Reply 1
I don't think that they'll overlook your GCSE maths if you achieve better grades in your 'A' levels. Maths is a core subject that demonstrates or encourages logical thinking, and this may be important for the course you're applying to read.

I'm pretty sure that you have to get at least a C in the subject, since you have already stated on your application that you're re-taking it this year. Had you not done that, you may not have even received the conditional offer.

Now if you don't get a C, then the university may still decide to accept you in, but it's their decision. If you get a C (and you meet the A level grade requirements), then they will *have* to take you in provided you have them as your firm choice.
Reply 2
You could probably help yourself in this... getting a C will be attainable for you if you just learn the basics and so los of practice. Get some revision guides like the Letts ones or something, they have workbooks for you to do...

Are you doing the higher papers? because getting a C will be easier if you do intermediate
Reply 3
Thanks for the help guys, i think it's intermediate maths.
Reply 4
You should try and get a C grade if you can, if your course is stopped due to illness try attending a night class in a local college. It is important to have GCSE maths at grade C, a lot of employers will expect it.
Reply 5
lol, i've now got an offer from Nottingham University for Computer Science and Management Studies (no gcse maths required)
Reply 6
I'm a bit surprised you were offered a place to read CS despite not having GSSE Maths.

Anyhow, congratulations! :champ: :biggrin:
Reply 7
irfsk
lol, i've now got an offer from Nottingham University for Computer Science and Management Studies (no gcse maths required)
You better check the 'General University Requirements' for entrance, not just the ones they stated in your offer.

EDIT: Looks like Notts don't have any, so you should be Ok with that one.
Reply 8
if one has done A level maths ( A grade) ... then GCSE maths is not necessary right ?
It's surprising that Nottingham, which is much more prestigious than Nottingham Trent, don't require a C in maths when Nottingham Trent do, but as some others said, most employers expect you to have Cs in GCSE English and maths, so it would be best to get one if you can. If your course gets cancelled, you'll have to try teaching yourself using textbooks, revision guides and past papers, or you could always hire a private tutor if you can afford it. Whether they'd still accept you without a C in maths depends how competitive the course is and how everyone else does, but if you get the required A-level grades, it's a possibility. If you do end up teaching yourself, you could always let the uni know and they might be lenient.
Reply 10
I have applied at Oxford Brookes to study Law this year. After speaking to the admissions tutor initally, GCSE Maths at Grade B/C was required to logic etc. However, after retaking it at college I got a 'D', but was four marks off a 'C'. I politely said 'what difference would it make if I had got the extra four marks? My ability in Law would still be the same!' She agreed with me on this point and offered me a place without worrying about the Maths requirement. I also had lots of legal work experience which helped aswell I think. I am in a gap year now though and am still retaking the Maths for a third time as I think it is important for future jobs to have the qualification. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face by not doing it!
Reply 11
i'm amazed you could get on to CS at Nottingham without GCSE maths...

CS = Computer Science right?

i was under the impression you needed a-level maths to do it.
Reply 12
Zakatu

i was under the impression you needed a-level maths to do it.
Notts specify A Level maths OR computing is required.
Reply 13
its Computer Science and Management Studies you do need an a-level in maths or computing i think it is or a related qualification. I've got my open day this wednesday for student's with offers. Anybody else going down?

Latest

Trending

Trending