Turn on thread page Beta

UNRELIABLE EDEXCEL MARKERS - My remark went up by 10 MARKS watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    This actually happened to my History teacher too, funnily enough.

By the way, your sig made me laugh.
    Thanks

It's really worrying... How can you mark a paper 3 grades lower than what it was worth?

I've heard that some exam boards were paying undergrad students a pittance to mark them in order to save money, and they quite understandably didn't have much of an idea what they were doing. Long gone are the days when exam boards entrusted our papers with qualified and knowledgeable markers

It's strange to think that identical exams could be marked differently depending on where in the country they are sent to...

ReputationRep:
    YES. People in my school got their papers remarked from D's to A's. I mean how can that happen, they are ruining lives.

ReputationRep:
    I think the marking errors have a lot to do with the extremely high volume of marking that examiners have to do in a very short space of time. One of my teachers used to mark for an exam board and said that with the time limits given, he had 3 minutes to spend on each script. Not a great deal of time to read and reflect on a candidates responses :rolleyes:

(Original post by SemperVivum)
    I think the marking errors have a lot to do with the extremely high volume of marking that examiners have to do in a very short space of time. One of my teachers used to mark for an exam board and said that with the time limits given, he had 3 minutes to spend on each script. Not a great deal of time to read and reflect on a candidates responses :rolleyes:
    :eek:That would explain a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Thank goodness I'm only doing Maths with Edexcel . . . unless they manage to get that incredibly wrong as well!
    Dont be too sure. My friend had his C3 paper remarked, and got extra 5 marks. I mean for maths, 5 marks! For a subject where its right or wrong, no inbetween. Its ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    My head of year said that the exam boards are doing us a "favour" now but doing AS & GCSEs exams together then doing the A2 exams so they have more time to mark all the papers as they couldn't even mark the papers the year before...That's pathetic. I really hope they don't mess up.

ReputationRep:
    I dropped 8 marks in Edexcel GCSE ICT course when it was sent for moderation... from an A* to a B...

ReputationRep:
    I sent my Bio EDEXCEL Unit 1 exam, but it stayed the same mark. The thing though when I received my re-marked script I could tell that the examiner who marked it again just put ticks next to the first marker, so basically he didn't even read over my answers, coz when THREE experienced teachers and I went over my answers we found 8 marks that were not awarded!!!!!

And by the way in my old school we used to have an examiner that teaches ENGLISH but for some reason was marking BIOLOGY exams for EDEXCEL wtf?????

But tbh it's every exam board. This year AQA gave me 88/100 for my D1 Maths paper, I was expecting at least 90/100. When I asked for the script back I saw that the marking was awful - in two questions the examiner deducted two marks for ONE mistake that I have made wtf???? The mark scheme says only one mark should be deducted! But I can't be bothered to sent it for a re-mark and waste another 40 pounds, because I know that nothing will be changed!!!

ReputationRep:
    So many AQA english lit & lang exams at my college have been marked wrongly, people predicted As got Cs and those predicted Cs got As - the college recalled the weirdest marks and have now done a mass remark - one girl's has come back with 12 extra marks already. It is worrying to see how badly they mark.

Hoping mine comes back higher because I have an A for AS and then I got a high C in this paper .... :/

ReputationRep:
    it happens quite often, especially for essay subjects. My friend got his unit1 aqa economics remarked last year and it went up my 20 ums because the examiner marking it was using an old mark scheme criteria...

ReputationRep:
    Crap, going to be sitting my economics exam with this worrying me in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    There was some big deal last year about AQA drama GCSE exams all being marked completely wrong. I know mine got marked wrong but never sent for a remark, but it was on the news and everything. And I think they ballsed up the marking with my Philosophy AS this year because most of the class had been getting A's and B's in mock assessments every single week from September to December yet all these people (including me) got a D in the exam and it wasn't a challenging paper in my opinion...
    It really is worrying to know that they can mess up so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenDiff)
    I had my AS Unit 1 Edexcel Economics remarked, and it went up by 10 marks!

Obviously I'm happy but I think it's disgusting that an examiner can get it so terribly wrong. Other people could be walking around and applying for university with results that don't actually mirror their true potential.

Anyone faced similar situations?
    I've never taken an Economics exam but I know the EDEXCEL one is full of essays, which immediately makes the marking a little bit subjective, which probably explains your fluctuation. 10 marks is quite a lot though.

ReputationRep:
    My history paper at AS went up by 13 UMS marks. That was OCR though :/ They need to sort themselves out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    its their job!! and they have taken on the responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackyblueyes)
    its their job!! and they have taken on the responsibility.
    I agree, though I think it is ultimately the exam boards' responsibility to ensure the accuracy of the marking. There are supposed to be random checks made on markers' accuracy to make sure you haven't got people marking against incorrect mark schemes or just getting it totally wrong - given what people are posting, you can help but wonder how effective these 'quality control' checks are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    Last year everyone In my sixth form's History class underperformed massively in their exams, so they were all sent back. Everybody's grade improved, and some of them went from E's to B's.

Seriously.
    Your sig is awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Really explains the grades. Everyone did all edexcel and some results were quite unexpected.

ReputationRep:
    No wonder i got C's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    Last year everyone In my sixth form's History class underperformed massively in their exams, so they were all sent back. Everybody's grade improved, and some of them went from E's to B's.

Seriously.
    Your sig is so unbelievably epic!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.