Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescafrancesca)
    Don't really know if you're joking or serious.
    I'm joking :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I was 1 UMS off my nottingham offer last year. Got remark through 2 weeks later and it went up from a low B to a 95% A, so all I can say is **** you exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Yo, World War Two took place from 1930 - 1947.

I must be right because it's a subjective subject!

:rolleyes:
    Well with facts like that, there's an OBVIOUS wrong or right answer. But if you've got a question such as "To what extent did X lead to Y" or "Why did Z happen", you're gonna be getting more subjective answers.

(Original post by Cinamon)
    Biology has some of the most vague, misinterpretable questions I have ever come across. I have done Biology, Chemistry, Use of Maths, English language, History, Critical thinking and music to at least AS level or further.
    That's nothing to do with whether the subject is subjective or not, it's about your understanding of the question. If you've got a question where you have to label a cell or whatever, there are right answers and there are wrong answers, there isn't an inbetween.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazular)
    That's nothing to do with whether the subject is subjective or not, it's about your understanding of the question. If you've got a question where you have to label a cell or whatever, there are right answers and there are wrong answers, there isn't an inbetween.
    I think they're talking about the actual Biology exam itself. There are often subjective questions, stuff like "arguments for/against IVF" etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're talking about the actual Biology exam itself. There are often subjective questions, stuff like "arguments for/against IVF" etc.
    Yeah, but that's gonna be a maximum of probably 4 or 5 marks out of whatever the paper is. There's usually only one question on ethics in a biology paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Is it too late to ask for a remark? It's the Easter holidays now but back in March I got really bad marks for Edexcel C2 and S1 (retakes), worse than my first sitting, even though I worked sooo incredibly hard and didn't think there was anything wrong with the paper. My teacher said that if I felt as though I did really well then I could ask to get my paper back. Is it too late to get my paper back? Is it too late to get a remark?
    For C2 the grade boundaries were rather high, so even if you did as fantastic as you did, alot of people would've found it easy. For S1, the A grade boundary was rather low, considering it was a tough paper. The marking on Maths and Further Maths papers by all examboards is very fair and accurate, never heard of anyone going up or down significantly compared to other subjects

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but that's gonna be a maximum of probably 4 or 5 marks out of whatever the paper is. There's usually only one question on ethics in a biology paper.
    + some data response questions which are really hard to interpret.

ReputationRep:
    + some data response questions which are really hard to interpret.
    Yeah I'll give you that, some of the graphs are b*****s

ReputationRep:
    Terrified with all this AQA Eng Lit stuff! Why oh why do they have to be the exam board for the subject which will probably have the most impact on my future in the next 2 years? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    My economics and physics are with edexcel :s
    My unit 1 economcis turned out ok, thankfully. Did well without finishing last question
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Terrified with all this AQA Eng Lit stuff! Why oh why do they have to be the exam board for the subject which will probably have the most impact on my future in the next 2 years? :eek:
    That's exactly why I'm not dropping any subjects after AS-Levels. I can't afford to have AQA English Literature B ruin any of my university offers next year!

What other subjects are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    That's exactly why I'm not dropping any subjects after AS-Levels. I can't afford to have AQA English Literature B ruin any of my university offers next year!

What other subjects are you doing?
    Hopefully History, Philosophy & Ethics and either Chemistry or Biology. Can't decide between the two! Oh, and compulsory General Studies :rolleyes: and an EPQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apassingfeeling)
    I sent my OCR psychology A2 exam back for a remark and it went up by 23 marks. 23! It stopped me from going to uni that year, I wasn't very happy...
    My best friend did her A2's last year, after which Classics at uni was the plan (Exeter firm, Leeds insurance).

In Latin, 2 people in our school did the A2 and for some stupid, idiotic reason, they switched the marks of my friend (an A* student) and this other girl (a B/C student). Consequently, she 'appeared' to have come out with a B, with an A* in one exam and a D in the other. She missed both her offers, but got it remarked anyway, which is how the error was found. Her parents successfully sued OCR for incompetency or something and have got them to pay for all travel for all of her uni course, and her first 2 years accommodation.

Incidentally, she got in again to Exeter this year (with an unconditional), and has also been awarded an excellence scholarship for the highest UMS mark for Latin in the whole of the Classics course.

OCR you suck.

ReputationRep:
    It is completely to do with it. If a question is vague, and can be taken into different contexts, then the answer will need to be interpreted equally as thoroughly to make sure that the candidate is involving the correct science in the correct context with enough depth.

With my exam board at least, which is admittedly quite obsessed with giving questions in a new context, has very few 'label the cell' type questions. (SNAB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinamon)
    It is completely to do with it. If a question is vague, and can be taken into different contexts, then the answer will need to be interpreted equally as thoroughly to make sure that the candidate is involving the correct science in the correct context with enough depth.

With my exam board at least, which is admittedly quite obsessed with giving questions in a new context, has very few 'label the cell' type questions. (SNAB)
    I'm doing SNAB too, no-one in our class has had any problems with questions like that :/ Sure, there's occasionally one or two in a past paper, but nothing major.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing SNAB too, no-one in our class has had any problems with questions like that :/ Sure, there's occasionally one or two in a past paper, but nothing major.
    'SNAB is about turning A-level students into mature
    and effective biologists. A good biologist should
    not only be armed with a knowledge of biological
    principles, they should have the skills to use that
    knowledge in new situations.'

Well with facts like that, there's an OBVIOUS wrong or right answer. But if you've got a question such as "To what extent did X lead to Y" or "Why did Z happen", you're gonna be getting more subjective answers.

'A context-led approach
    SNAB does not present content in traditional
    themes such as ‘cell structure’; instead the course
    adopts a context-led approach. Topics are based on
    a storyline or contemporary issue, such as risk and
    cardiovascular disease, with biological principles
    introduced when required to aid understanding of the
    context.
    We present content and concepts via stimulating
    contexts where the relevance of learning is
    immediately obvious.'

'Skills include data analysis, critical evaluation of
    information, communication and collaborative work.
    Developing these types of skills is an integral part
    of the SNAB course. Independent learning is an
    important ability which students will develop as a
    result of doing the activities.
    This does not mean that students should be left to
    get on alone; instead they learn to work things out
    for themselves, make links between ideas, draw on
    existing knowledge, apply this knowledge to new
    situations, and take responsibility for their own
    learning.'

http://www.advancedbiology.org/data/...et-08-9641.pdf

It's a fairly new course, so many of the past papers are taken from the old edexcel course, which is full of easy, obvious questions.

context

Edit: hahaha I love how it completely nocks your label the cell argument out the window.

sorry :P
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    it is all down to interpretation though, surely?

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends got his edexcel M1 paper back after the january exams. He got zero marks for one of the questions because at the top where he was scrawling the suvat equations he accidentally wrote v=u+as, which should be v=u+at. The equation was used correctly in the question and he got the correct answer, but no marks were given. It just seems stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late for me to get a remark in my SNAB edexcel paper for biology I took in 2008?!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! I hope you guys are joking! In my EdExcel History AS resit I did in Jan 2011 I got EXACTLY the same mark as when I took the exam in June 2010, when I was CERTAIN it had gone miles better! My stupid History teacher said it was against our school policy to get remarks done so I couldn't get it remarked! I WASN'T ALLOWED EVEN THOUGH ITS MY EXAM! Now I will never know and this has confirmed my belief! I have to get 85% this year to get an A overall which I going to be difficult! This may cost me my Uni place! :'(

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.