Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UNRELIABLE EDEXCEL MARKERS - My remark went up by 10 MARKS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hearing about stuff like this makes me angry. Students go through so much when preparing for exams and stressing about results.. the least examiners can do is mark the damn paper correctly! Edexcel are disgraceful when it comes to remarks. There could be students that have missed out on uni places because of this and people that have grades that they don't even deserve! Why don't they just have a second marker in place?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenDiff)
    I really felt I had done better than the mark I originally got, and this proved that. I'd urge anyone who has taken an Edexcel paper and underperformed to get a remark. Obviously their markers are incapable
    To be fair though its down to human error and the individual. It doesn't mean that all edexcel markers are bad or that the exam board is bad. Although I am in agrrement that this should not happen and that somebody should go over the paper to check that they agree with the marking:-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    The target for completion is within 30 calendar days of the awarding body receiving the request.
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu...et%2011-12.pdf

That said, they are usually back much more quickly than that. Friends have experience between 2 or 3 up to 10 days.
    Thank you, yeah I guess my college will send it off on the 20th of this month, so hopefully fingers crossed I get it back before my my deadline for UCAS.

Oh and thanks again for the maths papers a couple of years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d_aan)
    Thank you, yeah I guess my college will send it off on the 20th of this month, so hopefully fingers crossed I get it back before my my deadline for UCAS.

Oh and thanks again for the maths papers a couple of years ago
    tbh - no reason why your college needs to wait until the 20th sept before they submit it.
    they fill out an online request for each one and at my college they tend to do it in front of you when you hand in the form and give them the cheque.

ReputationRep:
    I assume that because your Edexcel remark went up by 10 UMS, I should remark my Edexcel Mathematics C2 Module, as I was 5 UMS off a 'B'!, and I knew I did SO much better in the exam. Therefore, would you recommend me remarking. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Thank goodness I'm only doing Maths with Edexcel . . . unless they manage to get that incredibly wrong as well!
    Luck you

I'm doing Edexcel for all my A level subjects. Sad times.
    I never knew Edexcel was that incosistent with their marking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exam2k10)
    I assume that because your Edexcel remark went up by 10 UMS, I should remark my Edexcel Mathematics C2 Module, as I was 5 UMS off a 'B'!, and I knew I did SO much better in the exam. Therefore, would you recommend me remarking. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
    I think you're better off resitting the C2 in January markers don't usually go wrong with Maths papers although there is a chance.

ReputationRep:
    I had appealed on of my A2 modules from edexcel, got bumped from 62UMS to 95UMS. If I hadnt appealed it I would have missed my firm aswell, **** edexcel tbh, im certain they ****ed up other of my modules aswell. Ah well, go into my firm anyway..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rachel08)
    The impression I get from most teachers at my school is that edexcel are not a good exam board-the only subject our school uses them for is maths and you can't really make mistakes marking that.

My french teacher told me they switched to WJEC from Edexcel because the examiner who came to do the oral made some of the candidates cry he was so awful.
    You would think so but I gained around 9 UMS when I had mine remarked. It was a few years ago though so maybe they've got better (or worse).

ReputationRep:
    yeah u guys are right.................thats the reason why they didn't publish the marks of edexcel igcse subjects. I was surprised when i came to know that i got two As in bio and chemistry...............though i was expecting A* in both of them...............may be they have done the same case with me...............I even checked the mark scheme and still I am getting an A stars even if i checked as minimum as possible.:confused::confused:
    So what should we do then guys???? I mean we cant waste our money for their foolishness and give all the subjects for rechecking???:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I've got a little problem with edexcel at the moment.
    In my philosophy and ethics. I got 22/50 on a paper and they gave 35 % for it.
    Now i'm not doing A level Maths, but i'm pretty sure, 22/50 is 44% which would be an E grade even allowing for the 4% grade boundary movement. But they've still given me a U for the paper.

My teacher who is an ex marker for the subject received a copy of my paper and thought the marking was completely wrong, so sent it for a remark. To both have it remarked and fix the percentage error. The remark came back exactly the same, they didn't even notice the percentage error. So, did they even look at the paper at all?

It seems strange that none of the papers sent for remarking moved at all in the slightest, not up or down.

The marking may be right or whatever, i would like to get the percentage error fixed though. What am i meant to do?
    When i rang the exam board, they just told us to consult the mark scheme...
    =/
    Any help anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my history AS went from 56ums to 66ums after remark. I was still convinced that I should got at least a B though.

ReputationRep:
    Me, and four others, who all have Grade 8 in our respective instruments, all got U's in one of our GCSE music modules, and we ended up with C's because of it (it was a composition module which accounts for 40% if the overall mark)That's WJEC for you...

We're getting remarks as we were predicted A*'s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamer 10)
    Hearing about stuff like this makes me angry. Students go through so much when preparing for exams and stressing about results.. the least examiners can do is mark the damn paper correctly! Edexcel are disgraceful when it comes to remarks. There could be students that have missed out on uni places because of this and people that have grades that they don't even deserve! Why don't they just have a second marker in place?!
    Of course the markers don't have a tonne of papers to go through and a little time to do them in. You can't blame it solely on the markers.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE Religious Studies grade was originally a medium B grade. It got remarked and I recieved a high A.

To think , if we never thought of remarking it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's worrying..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scribbles1)
    I've got a little problem with edexcel at the moment.
    In my philosophy and ethics. I got 22/50 on a paper and they gave 35 % for it.
    Now i'm not doing A level Maths, but i'm pretty sure, 22/50 is 44% which would be an E grade even allowing for the 4% grade boundary movement. But they've still given me a U for the paper.

My teacher who is an ex marker for the subject received a copy of my paper and thought the marking was completely wrong, so sent it for a remark. To both have it remarked and fix the percentage error. The remark came back exactly the same, they didn't even notice the percentage error. So, did they even look at the paper at all?

It seems strange that none of the papers sent for remarking moved at all in the slightest, not up or down.

The marking may be right or whatever, i would like to get the percentage error fixed though. What am i meant to do?
    When i rang the exam board, they just told us to consult the mark scheme...
    =/
    Any help anyone?
    I think you misunderstand the marking system for all modular exams and there has been no mistake in calculating the %. I am perturbed that a teacher (particularly an ex-examiner) doesn't understand the marking system, as it is common to all modular GCSEs and A levels.

The 22/50 sounds like a raw mark. With raw marks the marks tend to be bunched up in the middle, with no one getting it all right and almost everybody cobbling together a few marks. (If they stuck raw marks and used the standard grade boundaries then hardly anyone would get an A and there would be loads of Cs.) This raw mark is converted to UMS marks to take this, and the varying difficulties of different papers, into account. It is not a linear conversion. I presume your 35% is actually a % taken from your UMS mark, hence the differnec between it and the 22/50 raw mark.

ReputationRep:
    A teacher my school marked all AQA GCSE Geography Coursework as A*'s but when they came back the pupils had got D's and E's :/ How can someone be that wrong? :/

ReputationRep:
    I know it's not as important as AS and A2, but my GCSE business studies (ICAA) just went up 14 marks to an A*. Worrying :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Data)
    I think you misunderstand the marking system for all modular exams and there has been no mistake in calculating the %. I am perturbed that a teacher (particularly an ex-examiner) doesn't understand the marking system, as it is common to all modular GCSEs and A levels.

The 22/50 sounds like a raw mark. With raw marks the marks tend to be bunched up in the middle, with no one getting it all right and almost everybody cobbling together a few marks. (If they stuck raw marks and used the standard grade boundaries then hardly anyone would get an A and there would be loads of Cs.) This raw mark is converted to UMS marks to take this, and the varying difficulties of different papers, into account. It is not a linear conversion. I presume your 35% is actually a % taken from your UMS mark, hence the differnec between it and the 22/50 raw mark.
    Thank you for the clarification, i guess i got muddled. =3
    I'll have a look at the exam board website. =)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.