Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to love your body? watch

yo!

I've always been fairly self conscious about my body, and I normally take care of it well and go to the gym etc... But lately it's been getting a lot worse. Over the past year I've gained a stone - mostly in fat - because I wasn't taking care of myself properly at all, went up at least one waist size.

The worst part is that my self consciousness can ruin most of my day. I can be in the best mood ever, but if I log on to facebook and see a bunch of **** pictures of me or if I've gone to Topman and I've been trying on clothes and criticising myself so harshly for gaining so much weight in a year, I'm in a very grumpy and obviously self-conscious mood all day.

Since last month I've been going to the gym frequently, sleeping more and eating better and being generally more productive. But of course weight loss/muscle gain is a long process, and in the meantime I'd like to find some ways to improve my confidence (especially seeing how I have a date next week with someone I have met via the internet ).

So, does anyone have any tips as to how you can appreciate your body more? I want to be confident and I don't want something as simple as fb pictures or looking in the mirror to bring me down anymore. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    :teehee: at you're life

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask how much you weigh/how tall you are?

You say you've been going to the gym since last month, you must have lost a little since then? Doing this and generally taking more care of yourself will make you feel good about your body, which ideally should help your confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yo!

I've always been fairly self conscious about my body, and I normally take care of it well and go to the gym etc... But lately it's been getting a lot worse. Over the past year I've gained a stone - mostly in fat - because I wasn't taking care of myself properly at all, went up at least one waist size.

The worst part is that my self consciousness can ruin most of my day. I can be in the best mood ever, but if I log on to facebook and see a bunch of **** pictures of me or if I've gone to Topman and I've been trying on clothes and criticising myself so harshly for gaining so much weight in a year, I'm in a very grumpy and obviously self-conscious mood all day.

Since last month I've been going to the gym frequently, sleeping more and eating better and being generally more productive. But of course weight loss/muscle gain is a long process, and in the meantime I'd like to find some ways to improve my confidence (especially seeing how I have a date next week with someone I have met via the internet ).

So, does anyone have any tips as to how you can appreciate your body more? I want to be confident and I don't want something as simple as fb pictures or looking in the mirror to bring me down anymore. Thanks
    you appreciate your body by making it look BETTER, be slim and sexy, whether that's via gym, make up or surgery.

Then you go on fb, post a hot picture of yourself posing at the camera. And see how many "likes" you get.

Then, and only then will you appreciate your body (assuming you get enough likes from the hot people on fb)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    you appreciate your body by making it look BETTER, be slim and sexy, whether that's via gym, make up or surgery.
    Nobody needs surgery unless they have a medical condition or are deformed.

Healthy diet and exercise are much better for you.

ReputationRep:
    Healthy diet, exercise and a healthy mind set. No-one will every be as critical of your body as you are, so try on some different clothes to see if you're wearing the most flattering things that you can, and get yourself down to the gym as often as you can manage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonelink)
    :teehee: at your spelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    :teehee: at your spelling.
    Comment on spelling, typical. Judging by your profile pics your not fat in the slightest, you're very, very attractive but im guessing your going to tell me those pics were taken ages ago. Sorry I just find it pretty pathetic when you say you log on to fb and see pics of yourself you dont like which in turn, ruin your whole day

ReputationRep:
    Comment on spelling, typical. Judging by your profile pics your not fat in the slightest, you're very, very attractive but im guessing your going to tell me those pics were taken ages ago. Sorry I just find it pretty pathetic when you say you log on to fb and see pics of yourself you dont like which in turn, ruin your whole day
    What? I have no idea what you're on about...
    I'm not the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    What? I have no idea what you're on about...
    I'm not the OP.
    Lmao...my bad

ReputationRep:
    Consult Gok Wan :smug:

Thanks for the responses guys

I'm 88 kg and I'm 6'1" or 185 cm (and I'm a guy btw). I am in the healthy mindset now and I'm generally productive but I'm still so ridiculously fed up with body, I'm going through a grumpy phase now as we speak...

As for my body, I am very frequently complimented for my nice face and muscly arms/legs. But whenever I gain weight, the vast majority of it goes straight to my stomach - more specifically, the love handles get more and more apparent.

There are so many little things that will throw my confidence to the ground and stomp all over it. I feel horrible knowing that some of the t-shirts I have to buy might be a large instead of a medium. I look at myself in every reflective surface possible and about 10% of the time I'll think 'I'm okay with how I look here'. I feel gross when I walk down the street - I feel like I'm one of the 'fat kids'. I'm surrounded by people who never do exercise and don't even diet seriously yet have perfectly normal/skinny/defined bodies. I also see that most (gay) guys seriously prefer guys who are skinny or smooth or whatever; my date next week is a slim guy and all I can think is how much he's going to judge me for having extra weight around my stomach. Like I said, he's seen pictures of me online and I'm *pretty* sure they are representative of how I look like, but then there's this uber self conscious part of me where we'll meet up and it will be clear after 15 minutes he's not attracted to me.

Sigh, I'm really starting to get sick of this! I am desperate to be happy with my body. Seriously desperate. I am so sick of criticising myself so harshly every ****ing day. I'm sick of being pessimistic 24/7, I'm sick of feeling like I look **** in most pieces of clothing and I would love to be able to walk past a mirror without wanting to look at it.

So again, any advice is appreciated. I don't need physical health/diet tips, I know what I'm doing right/wrong in that sense

ReputationRep:
    righthand.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel horrible knowing that some of the t-shirts I have to buy might be a large instead of a medium.
    You should feel lucky, I can't even buy from most high street shops. XXXL isn't usually an on the shelf size!!

ReputationRep:
    :teehee: at your grammer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyrawstorne)
    :teehee: at your grammer.
    Yeah someone beat you to that one...

Lol at your spelling.

ReputationRep:
    This is tough. The obvious answer is: "Dude, it's your body, it's all you are. Accept it, no matter how bad or good it gets." There is nothing ever to be ashamed of. Especially not for the sake of other people.

But I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as it sounds.

ReputationRep:
    "Nobody's perfect? Everone is perfect"

There will always be somone who finds you attractive, even if you don't : )

ReputationRep:
    Dude, get some perspective. 88kg at 6'1 is normal. YOU are normal.
    I have the feeling that you are obsessing over your stomach as a way of avoiding dealing with something else in your life. I say that because I've been there. I apologise if I am wrong.
    Stay healthy and look after yourself by all means but obsessing over a particular area is a very destructive and pointless thing to do.
    Please just try to enjoy your date

ReputationRep:
    Yeah someone beat you to that one...

Lol at your spelling.
    oh awkward ...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.