Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Basically, there is a girl at my work who will be leaving in two weeks time. Me and her have become very good friends during the time we have worked together, as we seemed to just click from when we first met, and I always look forward to going into work just to see her.

I want to get her a sort of 'leaving gift' so to speak, something to let her know how much being friends with her has meant to me, and to wish her well for the future. I'm not really sure what to go for, though, so I was wondering if any girls on here could point me in the right direction. For example, what kind of gift would you like someone to give to you that would mean a great deal to you on a personal level? I realise that this would vary a great deal from person to person, so just a few ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard without knowing what the girl is like, but flowers are a fail-safe! To be honest though, I think it would mean more to her if you told her how much she really meant to you at work rather than getting her a commercial gift. Get her something stupid like flowers or chocolate but then tell her how much of a great time you had with her and the great deal she meant to you.

ReputationRep:
    Does she have your number? the obvious answer would be some sort of jewellery I suppose, but maybe even something like taking her out somewhere might be more original?

ReputationRep:
    A dvd or album you've spoken about in convo that she said she liked? its something personal but not over the top

ReputationRep:
    Sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arielle)
    It's hard without knowing what the girl is like, but flowers are a fail-safe! To be honest though, I think it would mean more to her if you told her how much she really meant to you at work rather than getting her a commercial gift. Get her something stupid like flowers or chocolate but then tell her how much of a great time you had with her and the great deal she meant to you.
    Hey thanks for the advice.

I was thinking of telling her how much I like her her last day, and giving her a card with a message in it, and I was thinking of getting her jewellery, maybe a bracelet or a necklace, I'm not sure, I'm rubbish at this sort of thing. I understand how its difficult if you don't know the person, but I appreciate the suggestions

ReputationRep:
    I feel like she might mistake jewelry as a romantic advance, which, from my understanding, is not what you're getting at. Where is she going? maybe get her something funny for her new office/ work area. If you have a picture of the two of you, put it in a nice frame. I think a picture would allow her to remember all the fun you two had together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Does she have your number? the obvious answer would be some sort of jewellery I suppose, but maybe even something like taking her out somewhere might be more original?
    Thanks for the advice . The reason I was thinking of getting her something in the form of a gift was that I thought that it would be something physical that would remind her of us being friends. I think jewellery would be the best bet.

What do you think about a bracelet or something, do you think that would be appropriate?

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of my friends make photo albums for birthdays and stuff cos its something you can look back on forever and remember all the memories plus its way more personal than buying something. But if you haven't known her long enough to get loads of photos you could just take one of the two of you together and make/buy a really nice frame. It'll mean a lot to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prime500)
    Thanks for the advice . The reason I was thinking of getting her something in the form of a gift was that I thought that it would be something physical that would remind her of us being friends. I think jewellery would be the best bet.

What do you think about a bracelet or something, do you think that would be appropriate?

Thanks again.
    there are these friend bracelets, that might be appropriate

ReputationRep:

Thanks again.
    Oo, just a random brainwave I just had, but have you thought of a pandora bracelet? They're EXTREMELY expensive, but if it's the last thing you will get her and you want it to be special, could be an option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessie6693)
    I feel like she might mistake jewelry as a romantic advance, which, from my understanding, is not what you're getting at. Where is she going? maybe get her something funny for her new office/ work area. If you have a picture of the two of you, put it in a nice frame. I think a picture would allow her to remember all the fun you two had together.
    You're very perceptive. I don't intend it to be a romantic advance, that's correct. To be completely honest, I do have feelings for her, but due to circumstances nothing can happen, which I can completely accept and I am fine with it. She'll be working in a hospital/clinic type of environment, I'm not sure if that opens up any other possibilities. Your suggestion about the picture is excellent, thank you for that .

ReputationRep:
    Man this sounds like a minor obsession, in which case..

..she won't remember, but in another sense.. she'll never forget

On a more serious note.. depends on the message you want to send dude - if it's genuinely unromantic you wanna be careful what you chose aye..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Man this sounds like a minor obsession, in which case..

..she won't remember, but in another sense.. she'll never forget

On a more serious note.. depends on the message you want to send dude - if it's genuinely unromantic you wanna be careful what you chose aye..
    Humorous suggestion, but for obvious reasons not a viable one. Yea I will have to be careful, which is one of the reasons I started this thread, just to get some ideas that I otherwise may not have considered.

ReputationRep:
    Humorous suggestion, but for obvious reasons not a viable one. Yea I will have to be careful, which is one of the reasons I started this thread, just to get some ideas that I otherwise may not have considered.
    If you don't care, then the field's wide open, if you really don't want to send any kind of romantic signals whatsoever then the usual naffo gifts (flowers/chocs etc) are out aye

If it were me I'd just get her a nice card and write something touching inside it, it's about as personal as you can get, without bending over.. I'm not a fan of 'treating' girls before they've really earned it, can skew expectations/the power balance in a relationship before it's even got off the ground :devil:

ReputationRep:
    Chocolates? Flowers? jewelery would be abit OTT imo

ReputationRep:
    see that's why i suggested a friendship bracelet which obv can be any bracelet just so long as you state that it is a friendship bracelet when handing it over, the girl will not think of anything romantic as its a common gesture between girls and she will likely wear it a lot if its nice and so think of you and the ones suggested by someone else they are really popular and really nice and doesn't look like a romantic sort of bracelet if it was me who got it id get the exact right view of the situation (the one you want her to have i mean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabeth)
    see that's why i suggested a friendship bracelet which obv can be any bracelet just so long as you state that it is a friendship bracelet when handing it over, the girl will not think of anything romantic as its a common gesture between girls and she will likely wear it a lot if its nice and so think of you and the ones suggested by someone else they are really popular and really nice and doesn't look like a romantic sort of bracelet if it was me who got it id get the exact right view of the situation (the one you want her to have i mean)
    I think that its an excellent suggestion, and I am very grateful for it. Thank you .

ReputationRep:
    I think that its an excellent suggestion, and I am very grateful for it. Thank you .
    np glad to be helpful =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Oo, just a random brainwave I just had, but have you thought of a pandora bracelet? They're EXTREMELY expensive, but if it's the last thing you will get her and you want it to be special, could be an option?
    You weren't joking about them being expensive, lol. Still, I think that she might like them. One question though, if someone gave it to you on the basis of being friends, would you consider it as a bit over the top? The reason I ask is that I don't want it to be overtly romantic or anything, I would just like it to be a nice gesture.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.