Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a BA in Fine Art in London this September and I've just finished my art foundation course in London- as I live in London anyway, I've just stayed at home this year to save money. As a result I feel that I've kind of missed out on a lot of the social stuff and feel a bit out of the loop; most of my friends who lived in accommodation last year have now sorted out flatshares/houseshares between themselves for their BAs this September. I guess I'm going to have to move into a hall of residence. I used to be really excited by this idea, but seeing how sort of... party-ish everybody was in these halls this year makes me really nervous. I like where I live to be somewhere comfy and relaxing, not somewhere where I'm constantly worried about looking "fun". God, that makes me sound like an old woman...

I wouldn't call myself a recluse or -anything- like that, I love talking and meeting new people, but I'm not good at going to clubs etc, as I just find it hard to see the point/find dancing amazingly awkward. I suppose I'm just more of a fan of sitting down..? It really depresses me that I don't enjoy clubs and Big Nights Out as I'm worried that finally moving into accommodation is going to be really lonely and I'll be the dull person in the flat who gets everybody else down.

I'm just so disappointed as I really thought moving out would be amazing fun, but I'm just so scared that my future flatmates will find me boring and I'll just end up getting everybody down with no friends in a block I find noisy or miserable.

Please put my worrying mind at rest... Please?!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting a BA in Fine Art and Art History at Goldsmiths in Sept - Where are you going to be?
    I feel the same way sometimes, I used to feel like that a lot more about 2 years ago - but over the past year I have been staying with my boyfriend (a student in london) for 2 nights a week, most weeks, and it's kind of broken me into that way of life - I do find the dancing crazily awkward, but obviously the drink helps a lot with that - maybe everyone feels the same way, and that is why students drink so much? to cover everyones awkwardness?

P.S I think it really depends on who is in your flat, Chinese internationals and Indians I have noticed are REALLY quiet, then you could have pretentious shoredtich types who won't bother with anyone other than pretentious shoreditch types, but I bet you have a bigger chance of getting a good mix and I'm sure some people just like to talk, I love to talk - especially at flat parties - i'm not so keen on BIG NIGHTS OUT either as you don't really meet people, they'd be nice if you were with just your friends that you have established after a few weeks, but at flat parties there is more for a chance to sit down and talk to people (this is what I have found with my limited experience anyway)

SEE YOU IN LONDON!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying- At the very least, it's nice to know there's other people who think the same out there..! I have a feeling that staying with my boyfriend is actually one of the reasons I've got even more laid back and bad at going out than I used to be..!

I'm going to Central Saint Martins to do a Fine Art BA, but I kind of regret not applying to that course at Goldsmiths as it looked amazing!!

I'm just hoping that it does work out being a nice mix- I don't expect to be best friends for life with everybody I live with, but it would be nice if it worked out in a friendly way. And thanks for putting my mind at rest a bit..!

(I think it's just a case of the more I worry about the worst-case scenarios, the more panicky and mental I become.)

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.