Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Back to the drawing board *facepalm* watch

Right, I had been using Clinique for years, until it began to make me face burn and I started getting spots again. So I ditched that in favour for Tea Tree from the Body Shop, as my mum swears this is the beeknees. 6-7months later, my face is no better. I came off the pill in Nov, and I had a good few months, before my face now erupting with zips, left right and centre.

So I went to Boots today, and got 2 products; Biore pore unclogging scrub and Freederm sensitive facial wash! I have absolutely no idea if these things work, but I have never used them before and thought I'd give them a try.

Tbh I am completely fed up with my face. I have been to the Dr who gave me a topic cream, which did seem to work for a good few years. But now that no longer works.

My daily facial routine is as follows:

Body Shop tea tree facial wash
    Body Shop tea tree toner
    Body shop tea tree day cream/or night cream
    Clinique dramatically moisturising cream I use in the day time.
    Apricot facial scrub I use twice a week.

I want to completely revamp this routine, so would appreciate any useful tips/regimes I can use on my face. My face (my mum says) is oily, majority of times, but sometimes combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)

So I went to Boots today, and got 2 products; Biore pore unclogging scrub and Freederm sensitive facial wash! I have absolutely no idea if these things work, but I have never used them before and thought I'd give them a try.

Tbh I am completely fed up with my face. I have been to the Dr who gave me a topic cream, which did seem to work for a good few years. But now that no longer works.

Body Shop tea tree toner

Biore pore unclogging scrub is really good :yep: I've used it quite a bit. It leves your skin looking healthy and smooth.
    Have you tried it yet? it becomes really warm when you scrub it...but just continue to scrub those little grain pieces around your face.

I use St Ives Apricot scrub now..only because i wanted a change..and it's quite good too.
    For moisturiser I use 'Simple light moisturiser' and sometimes 'Nivea light moisturising cream' which is my favourite
    Johnson's facial wipes (the green one..which has three in one) to remove any make up.

Other days..I dont put anything on my face..because i do like my skin..and I'd like to just let it breathe..I dont think you should put a lot of different kinds of products on your face..because it'll also probably end up clogging up your pores until you use a face wash again.

ReputationRep:
    Careful with all that tea tree. It can really strip your skin of oils (the good type) and make your skin over produce sebum to counteract the astringent qualities of the products.

Try using products for combination skin - they won't be as astringent as products for oily skin.

I'd also suggest going back to your GP and asking to try another topical cream as the one you're using isn't working.

(Original post by When will I know?)
    Biore pore unclogging scrub is really good :yep: I've used it quite a bit. It leves your skin looking healthy and smooth.
    Have you tried it yet? it becomes really warm when you scrub it...but just continue to scrub those little grain pieces around your face.

I use St Ives Apricot scrub now..only because i wanted a change..and it's quite good too.
    For moisturiser I use 'Simple light moisturiser' and sometimes 'Nivea light moisturising cream' which is my favourite

Other days..I dont put anything on my face..because i do like my skin..and I'd like to just let it breathe..I dont think you should put a lot of different kinds of products on your face..because it'll also probably end up clogging up your pores untl you use a face wash.
    Yes, I purchased the Biore pore unclogging scrub today, so I shall use it tonight. I use to use St Ives as well, the gentle one and it was working fine, until one day I woke up one morning with a ''family'' of zits. I stopped using it from then. I have used the Simple as well, that worked for a lil while, and then gave me zit attack.

Unfortunately I can't go a day without doing something to my face as it feels horrid. Although I do use a fair bit of products, it's getting to the point where it's annoying me, and nothing is helping my face anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Ever thought about putting so much stuff on your face that you're making it a lot worse?

Let me ask you this: What's your diet like? Exercise much? Current stress levels? Age? Have you seen a dermatologist?

ReputationRep:
    Right, I had been using Clinique for years, until it began to make me face burn and I started getting spots again. So I ditched that in favour for Tea Tree from the Body Shop, as my mum swears this is the beeknees. 6-7months later, my face is no better. I came off the pill in Nov, and I had a good few months, before my face now erupting with zips, left right and centre.

Body Shop tea tree toner

I want to completely revamp this routine, so would appreciate any useful tips/regimes I can use on my face. My face (my mum says) is oily, majority of times, but sometimes combination.
    Do not use anything apart from clean water, all those products will just make it worse. It's like hair, the more you wash it the quicker it gets greasy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't find Tea Tree Oil from the Body Shop any good, and I'm a die hard Body Shop fan.

The thing I found that worked the best was putting a hot, wet flannel on my face and leaving it to 'steam' for a minute or 2. Then scrubbing my face with a warm, wet body scrubber, and then with some soap (Dove, perhaps), then washing it off with cold water.

It made my skin spotless and really soft, but I can't always be bothered to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from acne too, but it's got much better recently, cause I revamped my routine too... Here's what I do now:
    Boots tea tree and witch Hazel foaming face wash
    Boots botanics blemish prone day moisturiser
    And Sudocrem
    In that order, first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and I try to keep the foundation to a minimum
    I know everyone's skin is different but I hope this helped. It's best not to use things like scrubs and harsh chemicals on your face more than once a week and try using the same products very consistently

ReputationRep:

Body Shop tea tree toner
    Let me put this in perspective for you:- These are ingredients you are putting on your face on a daily basis.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Aqua (Solvent/Diluent), Glycerin (Humectant), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate (Viscosity Modifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (Emulsifier), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (Emulsifier),

Body Shop tea tree toner

Spoiler:
    Show
    Aqua (Solvent/Diluent), Alcohol Denat. (Solvent/Diluent), Corn Starch Modified (Skin Conditioning Agent), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (Emulsifier), Glycerin (Humectant), Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Natural Additive), Salix Alba Bark Extract (Natural Additive), Allantoin (Skin Soothing Agent), Calophyllum Inophyllum Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Limonene (Natural Additive), Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Natural Additive), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), t-Butyl Alcohol (Denaturant), Citral (Natural Additive), Leptospermum Petersonii Oil (Natural Additive), Denatonium Benzoate (Denaturant), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Caramel (Colour), CI 19140 (Colour), CI 42090 (Colour).

Spoiler:
    Show
    Aqua (Solvent/Diluent), Propanediol (Viscosity Modifier), Glycerin (Humectant), Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate (Absorbent/Anticaking Agent), Calophyllum Inophyllum Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Silica (Absorbent), Acrylamide/Ammonium Acrylate Copolymer (Binder), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Natural Additive), Polyisobutene (Binder), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Emollient), Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen), Phytosphingosine (Skin Conditioning Agent), Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Sorbitan Isostearate (Emulsifier), Limonene (Natural Additive), Citral (Natural Additive), Leptospermum Petersonii Oil (Natural Additive), Tocopherol (Antioxidant).

Didn't bother with the apricot scrub as these 3 are enough to prove my point. Seriously, you're putting a hell of a lot on your skin here. It's thrown it off whack and it's clogging up pores and producing spots.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have a break if I was you. You're putting a lot of product on your skin. Although it's good to have a regular routine assuming that you're around 20ish you can get hold back on the toner and night cream. Off course this is just my opinion and what I've learnt from experience!

I quite like the Clearsil range. I've been using it for around 6 months, changed my diet and started drinking gallons of water and my skin has improved greatly

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I purchased the Biore pore unclogging scrub today, so I shall use it tonight. I use to use St Ives as well, the gentle one and it was working fine, until one day I woke up one morning with a ''family'' of zits. I stopped using it from then. I have used the Simple as well, that worked for a lil while, and then gave me zit attack.

Unfortunately I can't go a day without doing something to my face as it feels horrid. Although I do use a fair bit of products, it's getting to the point where it's annoying me, and nothing is helping my face anymore.
    You could just be allergic to something? Ask your GP for some tests.

ReputationRep:

Body Shop tea tree toner

Go back to your GP. As far as I am aware, the most effective treatments for acne are only available on prescription. There are lots of different things they can prescribe, usually they will start you out on one of the milder treatments (because the stronger ones do have side effects). So if the topical treatment you used to use was not effective, there are other treatments available. Personally I struggled with acne for years, I went to my GP and they also prescribed with a topical treatment. That didn't work, they tried another one, and eventually sent me to a dermatologist who prescribed Roaccutane, which worked amazingly well.

All I can say is don't give up, don't waste your money on expensive skincare, see an expert.

(Original post by H.JJJ)
    Ever thought about putting so much stuff on your face that you're making it a lot worse?

Let me ask you this: What's your diet like? Exercise much? Current stress levels? Age? Have you seen a dermatologist?
    Nope, I thought the 3 step for the tea tree was sufficient. The moisturiser I use because it does make my skin feel nice, and not pasty/white. Because the tea tree cleanser leaves my face with a white residue, and on black skin, it looks ridiculous!

With regards to your questions:

Diet - I eat well, lots of fruit and veg, lots of water (it's all I drink). I exercise; lots of walking and swimming (I am however recovering from a nasty bout of glandular fever I caught, courtesy of the USA. So im not doing hardcore cardio exercising, but im getting out and about to build myself up). I am 25, I am not stressed, I sleep well (although I had a stint, due to the illness, where my sleep was all over the place), and I haven't been to a dermatologist, no idea where to look for one tbh.

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Careful with all that tea tree. It can really strip your skin of oils (the good type) and make your skin over produce sebum to counteract the astringent qualities of the products.

Try using products for combination skin - they won't be as astringent as products for oily skin.

I'd also suggest going back to your GP and asking to try another topical cream as the one you're using isn't working.
    I use to use the tea tree as a kid when I was @ school, and I didn't find it good then. My mum reintroduced it to me again, and says a girl @ her work place uses it and has flawless skin. Therefore I should use it to get the same effects. 6-7months later, absolutely nothing!! :facepalm:

I am trying to avoid going to the Drs for the acne, but I will see how my skin goes in the next month or so. If no change, then I will drag myself to the Dr.

(Original post by kat2pult)
    I don't find Tea Tree Oil from the Body Shop any good, and I'm a die hard Body Shop fan.

The thing I found that worked the best was putting a hot, wet flannel on my face and leaving it to 'steam' for a minute or 2. Then scrubbing my face with a warm, wet body scrubber, and then with some soap (Dove, perhaps), then washing it off with cold water.

It made my skin spotless and really soft, but I can't always be bothered to do it.
    Yea I love the body shop too, but I really am not feeling the tea tree range, for the 2nd time in my life of trying it.

Your routine sounds interesting; simple and not loaded with product, after product.

(Original post by Electronica)
    Do not use anything apart from clean water, all those products will just make it worse. It's like hair, the more you wash it the quicker it gets greasy.
    Jus splashing my face with water feels like splashing over a build up of oil/grease/dirt!

(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    I suffer from acne too, but it's got much better recently, cause I revamped my routine too... Here's what I do now:
    Boots tea tree and witch Hazel foaming face wash
    Boots botanics blemish prone day moisturiser
    And Sudocrem
    In that order, first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and I try to keep the foundation to a minimum
    I know everyone's skin is different but I hope this helped. It's best not to use things like scrubs and harsh chemicals on your face more than once a week and try using the same products very consistently
    I heard someone else agess ago with the whole sudocrem thing; hmmmm I am interested. Might incorporate it into my regime, if I decide to take that on board.

(Original post by H.JJJ)
    Let me put this in perspective for you:- These are ingredients you are putting on your face on a daily basis.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Aqua (Solvent/Diluent), Glycerin (Humectant), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate (Viscosity Modifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (Emulsifier), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (Emulsifier),

Body Shop tea tree toner

Spoiler:
    Show
    Aqua (Solvent/Diluent), Alcohol Denat. (Solvent/Diluent), Corn Starch Modified (Skin Conditioning Agent), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (Emulsifier), Glycerin (Humectant), Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Natural Additive), Salix Alba Bark Extract (Natural Additive), Allantoin (Skin Soothing Agent), Calophyllum Inophyllum Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Limonene (Natural Additive), Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Natural Additive), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), t-Butyl Alcohol (Denaturant), Citral (Natural Additive), Leptospermum Petersonii Oil (Natural Additive), Denatonium Benzoate (Denaturant), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Caramel (Colour), CI 19140 (Colour), CI 42090 (Colour).

Spoiler:
    Show
    Aqua (Solvent/Diluent), Propanediol (Viscosity Modifier), Glycerin (Humectant), Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate (Absorbent/Anticaking Agent), Calophyllum Inophyllum Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Silica (Absorbent), Acrylamide/Ammonium Acrylate Copolymer (Binder), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Natural Additive), Polyisobutene (Binder), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Emollient), Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen), Phytosphingosine (Skin Conditioning Agent), Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Sorbitan Isostearate (Emulsifier), Limonene (Natural Additive), Citral (Natural Additive), Leptospermum Petersonii Oil (Natural Additive), Tocopherol (Antioxidant).

Didn't bother with the apricot scrub as these 3 are enough to prove my point. Seriously, you're putting a hell of a lot on your skin here. It's thrown it off whack and it's clogging up pores and producing spots.
    I knew those things were in it, but I and many other people don't have a clue. I'm just fed up because it's getting on my nerves. I don't particularly want to go to the Drs, because it'll be using tablets/creams. I'd jus rather use natural products/or good products, that will @ least stop the oil and giving me more zits.

(Original post by yesioo)
    I'd have a break if I was you. You're putting a lot of product on your skin. Although it's good to have a regular routine assuming that you're around 20ish you can get hold back on the toner and night cream. Off course this is just my opinion and what I've learnt from experience!

I quite like the Clearsil range. I've been using it for around 6 months, changed my diet and started drinking gallons of water and my skin has improved greatly
    I hate Clersil range, used it once and it was like putting paint stripper on my skin!!

It's starting to become a long chore to apply the products I am using; the only product I like is the Clinique moisturiser, as I do like it; it's nice and light.

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    the only products i have tried that i LOVE are by soap and glory. i'd def give their skincare range a try - i love the range for combo skin, face soap & clarity wash and clear here moisturiser. i dont use toner.

ReputationRep:
    I hate Clersil range, used it once and it was like putting paint stripper on my skin!!

It's starting to become a long chore to apply the products I am using; the only product I like is the Clinique moisturiser, as I do like it; it's nice and light.
    Sensitive skin? Why not try the new Nivea natural range that's just come out?

ReputationRep:
    I knew those things were in it, but I and many other people don't have a clue. I'm just fed up because it's getting on my nerves. I don't particularly want to go to the Drs, because it'll be using tablets/creams. I'd jus rather use natural products/or good products, that will @ least stop the oil and giving me more zits.
    To be honest, there is no quick fix for something like acne. Otherwise a pharmaceutical firm would have came in already and solved a hell of a lot of problems.

In the long run, you're better off with going to the doctors. It's a 3 stage system. Tablets/cream (doctors), hardcore tablets (dermo), roaccutane (hardcore dermo)

If you're lucky, your doctor might just shoot you up to stage 2 or 3 right away. Don't know how severe your condition is but either way, go to the docs...

EDIT: FFS I'M THE ONLY DUDE HERE...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.