Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Back to the drawing board *facepalm* watch

Announcements

(Original post by star_violet)
    Go back to your GP. As far as I am aware, the most effective treatments for acne are only available on prescription. There are lots of different things they can prescribe, usually they will start you out on one of the milder treatments (because the stronger ones do have side effects). So if the topical treatment you used to use was not effective, there are other treatments available. Personally I struggled with acne for years, I went to my GP and they also prescribed with a topical treatment. That didn't work, they tried another one, and eventually sent me to a dermatologist who prescribed Roaccutane, which worked amazingly well.

All I can say is don't give up, don't waste your money on expensive skincare, see an expert.
    Thing is I've been unwell for quite sometime (recovering from Glandular fever), and obv. my body has taken a battering. I am also still in the process of getting the pill out my system, after coming off it after 6 years. So although going to the GP and getting medication might be the easy route, right now I doubt they will give me anything because im still recovering. However I do want to see a Dermatologist, to get their opinion on my skin, but I have no idea on how I would go about this :-/. Do I go via NHS or are there clinics on the high street? :dontknow: I just want a simple, and easy routine, for now, that will @ least tame the acne/spots. If that fails, I will go my GP and see what s/he says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    I heard someone else agess ago with the whole sudocrem thing; hmmmm I am interested. Might incorporate it into my regime, if I decide to take that on board.
    Thats a good idea, it just gets rid of some of the redness really, so don't expect miraculous results

Also please please please do not use loads of chemicals on your face cause I used to do this and it no doubt made me so much worse... It's best to stick to a face wash and a moisturiser twice a day, and nothing more no matter how tempting it is, I can't stress that enough!

(Original post by H.JJJ)
    To be honest, there is no quick fix for something like acne. Otherwise a pharmaceutical firm would have came in already and solved a hell of a lot of problems.

In the long run, you're better off with going to the doctors. It's a 3 stage system. Tablets/cream (doctors), hardcore tablets (dermo), roaccutane (hardcore dermo)

If you're lucky, your doctor might just shoot you up to stage 2 or 3 right away. Don't know how severe your condition is but either way, go to the docs...

EDIT: FFS I'M THE ONLY DUDE HERE...
    No, I wasn't expecting there to be a quick fix for it, just something that will @ least tame them (the acne clan). My face isn't as severe as it was 10 years. But as I have got older, they had calmed down, and then I went on the pill where I only got the odd 1 or 2. I came off it in Nov, and they are starting to come back, and my face has become so greasy/oily.

I'm just after a simple, quick routine really, that will be less products, less harsh on the skin, and actually help the skin.

But I will see how I go for a month or so and see. If no change, off I trot to the Drs.

(Original post by yesioo)
    Sensitive skin? Why not try the new Nivea natural range that's just come out?
    Yes, I have sensitive skin. Ooo never tried Nivea before - will have a nosey online and see. Thanks.

(Original post by inksplodge)
    the only products i have tried that i LOVE are by soap and glory. i'd def give their skincare range a try - i love the range for combo skin, face soap & clarity wash and clear here moisturiser. i dont use toner.
    Funny you should post about Soap and Glory, as I was looking @ it in Boots today. I got a few of their bits for xmas (shower/bath set from my neighbour) and im quite surprised by the range; quite nice.

(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Thats a good idea, it just gets rid of some of the redness really, so don't expect miraculous results

Also please please please do not use loads of chemicals on your face cause I used to do this and it no doubt made me so much worse... It's best to stick to a face wash and a moisturiser twice a day, and nothing more no matter how tempting it is, I can't stress that enough!
    Hmmmm, I shall google it and see what it tells me of sudocrem. I have also heard about Lemon juice, but for some reason that just sounds far too harsh.

Yes, I have come to realise that I have been using far too many products. {My mum won't be happy when I tell her im not using tea tree anymore lol} She keeps telling me to use Bio oil on my face as well - I decline everytime, because it's oil and I already have oily/combination skin! :facepalm:

Hmmm maybe I give your routine a try; face wash and moisturiser, and see what happens?? . . .

ReputationRep:
    I know I say this a lot, but seriously - http://www.lumie.com/shop/products/clear ! It's an at-home red and blue light therapy lamp which kills the bacteria on your skin (thereby helping to prevent spots) and promotes healing (helping to heal acne). If you do some research online you'll see that most people who use it have very positive results and it has worked for around 80% of people in clinical trials (search Hammersmith Hospital light therapy for one of the most recent). It takes 15 minutes per area per day and has completely cleared my persistent acne and eradicated my need for cosmetics, creams, face-washes etc - something that no doctor has ever been able to accomplish in the 10 years I spent going to see them about my skin. If you buy directly from Lumie they'll even give you a 30 day trial so you can return it if it doesn't work for you .

I agree with all of the folks who say that you should give your skin a break from chemicals, I really wish I'd learnt that sooner as I have a smile line *already* which I wouldn't have if I'd stayed away from BP cream and harsh cleansers which did bugger all anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, I shall google it and see what it tells me of sudocrem. I have also heard about Lemon juice, but for some reason that just sounds far too harsh.

Yes, I have come to realise that I have been using far too many products. {My mum won't be happy when I tell her im not using tea tree anymore lol} She keeps telling me to use Bio oil on my face as well - I decline everytime, because it's oil and I already have oily/combination skin! :facepalm:

Hmmm maybe I give your routine a try; face wash and moisturiser, and see what happens?? . . .
    Hehe well when my friend introduced sudocrem to me she called it "nappy rash cream" so I felt a bit weird buying it in the shop when I look a lot younger than I am xD

Bio-oil I would suggest is best to use once the acne has gone away, to clear any extra scars left, but yes youre probably right declining it at the moment! It's also rather expensive...

Please do try my routine, I'll be interested to know how it goes if you do try it! Could take a couple of weeks to adjust but it should be worth it! I admit I have just had a random breakout, but theyre few and far between and almost definitely due to my raging hormones

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but I agree with the majority who suggest going back to your GP.

There are so many formulations that are evidence based and cheaper than over the counter stuff. Just because you've tried one topical thing doesn't mean there won't be something else.

My skin was great when I was on the pill and then the spots came back with a vengence when I came off them (well 2-3 months later). I'm now back on the pill but also use a mild retinoid called adapalene and it keeps the spots away whilst also helping to fade the hyperpigmentation that I get because of spots.

Let your GP decide whether your glandular fever will affect any treatment, they won't prescribe something if they think it will make it worse. Of course its up to you whether you see your gp or not, but it sounds like you've given over the counter stuff a really good shot

(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Hehe well when my friend introduced sudocrem to me she called it "nappy rash cream" so I felt a bit weird buying it in the shop when I look a lot younger than I am xD

Bio-oil I would suggest is best to use once the acne has gone away, to clear any extra scars left, but yes youre probably right declining it at the moment! It's also rather expensive...

Please do try my routine, I'll be interested to know how it goes if you do try it! Could take a couple of weeks to adjust but it should be worth it! I admit I have just had a random breakout, but theyre few and far between and almost definitely due to my raging hormones
    The Bio oil only costs me £10; I buy online, I refuse to pay for it instores, as it's a rip off!! But for scarring and etc, it is good; I have seen results from it for previous scars on other areas of my body.

I'll defo give your routine a try, and see how I get on. I'll report back to you in a month or so.

(Original post by Sarky)
    My skin was great when I was on the pill and then the spots came back with a vengence when I came off them (well 2-3 months later). I'm now back on the pill but also use a mild retinoid called adapalene and it keeps the spots away whilst also helping to fade the hyperpigmentation that I get because of spots.
    That's the cream I tried; it worked wonders the first time I used it, and the spots did vanish, and kept them @ bay. But I tried going back to it again mid last year, and it did nothing, in fact it gave me spots, an invasion came along :/ lol.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is I've been unwell for quite sometime (recovering from Glandular fever), and obv. my body has taken a battering. I am also still in the process of getting the pill out my system, after coming off it after 6 years. So although going to the GP and getting medication might be the easy route, right now I doubt they will give me anything because im still recovering. However I do want to see a Dermatologist, to get their opinion on my skin, but I have no idea on how I would go about this :-/. Do I go via NHS or are there clinics on the high street? :dontknow: I just want a simple, and easy routine, for now, that will @ least tame the acne/spots. If that fails, I will go my GP and see what s/he says.
    Dermatologists usually prefer it if you have a referral from your GP. Strictly speaking you don't need to have one (unless you need to for insurance purposes). But in any case it's worth seeing your GP first to see what they can do for you in the first instance, if only to save yourself the cost of seeing a dermatologist.

Right, I got 2 products from Boots last week, as I mentioned in my previous post. I haven't used them (Will take them back tomorrow), but just remembered that someone mentioned on the forum agesss ago about Liz Earle. I have just been researching it, and I am pretty impressed with the reviews many have had from the range. I wasn't going to try anything else, but I think I will give this whirl a go. IF this fails, then I WILL be going to my GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    I'd have a break if I was you. You're putting a lot of product on your skin. Although it's good to have a regular routine assuming that you're around 20ish you can get hold back on the toner and night cream. Off course this is just my opinion and what I've learnt from experience!

I quite like the Clearsil range. I've been using it for around 6 months, changed my diet and started drinking gallons of water and my skin has improved greatly
    Noooooooo!!! BLASPHEMY!!!! Clearasil and Clean and Clear are terrible products. They're incredibly drying and your skin becomes addicted to them. I stayed over at a friend's and forgot my cleanser so she lent me hers, I had a spot on my chin, the next morning it was surrounded by dry skin (and I moisturize!) and then I broke out because I didn't use it again. A couple of my friends tried it too and they didn't like the product.

I highly recommend Dermalogica's Overnight Clearing Gel http://www.dermalogica.com/uk/html/p...ng-gel-50.html
    It's pricey but it will last about 6 months. I've just put my sister on it and her skin has cleared up dramatically, and it fixed my skin (I used to have terrible acne). It works better than any doctor's product (not saying the pill isn't brilliant) and isn't harsh like the evil products mentioned above. If you don't believe me just look at the reviews on Make Up Alley and the Beauty Bible book.

I also found that when I started using cleanser, toner and moisturizer designed for normal skin or all skin types my skin cleared up. I think a lot of oily/spot prone skin products are quite harsh. I like Lush's UltraBland used with a muslin cloth which gets off all my make up. And scrubs with heat up and dissolve are great but only use them about twice a week. And one of the products I've actually used for about 5 years without wanting to change: http://www.kiehls.co.uk/face/moistur...isturizer.aspx

It also comes in tinted and with SPF. It has essential oils in which mimic you skin's natural oils so that it therefore produces less. If you skin feels it requires less oil then it will produce less! Happy days. Yes it is absurdly pricey but I buy the 250ml once a year, no joke.

Hope that helps, I know how much acne sucks so I wish you luck!

ReputationRep:
    Noooooooo!!! BLASPHEMY!!!! Clearasil and Clean and Clear are terrible products. They're incredibly drying and your skin becomes addicted to them. I stayed over at a friend's and forgot my cleanser so she lent me hers, I had a spot on my chin, the next morning it was surrounded by dry skin (and I moisturize!) and then I broke out because I didn't use it again. A couple of my friends tried it too and they didn't like the product.
    :shrug: It works for me...although i only use the exfoliator. My moisturiser is Neutrogena :ahee:

Eeeeek gotta agree, Clearisil IMO is horrid. I used it n it just broke me out; massive sore spots which broke mi out badly. :-/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.