Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with my dilemma!
    I've got offers from both Warwick (AAB) and York (ABB) for History of Art this year. I love both the universities although have heard that Warwick can seem a bit isolated?
    York has the better department overall but Warwick offer a term in Venice but with higher grades so I am really stuck what to do!
    They're both so similar in general league tables I would be really grateful if anyone could help me if you're in a similar situation or have been.
    Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Do you want to go to Venice for a year? I would imagine answering this question would be a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    There's not much in it league-table wise. When I think of your subject and department though, York stands out to me as the better choice (personally). Where did you prefer when you visited? Getting a feel for the places really helps. And definitely consider if a term in Venice is something you think you'll benefit enormously from: it might be worth ringing up and asking York if they offer similar opportunities. A lot of unis do have study abroad programs.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I graduated from York a couple of years ago in HoA (and turned down a place at Warwick).

My decision was based on

a) course/department. York's is bigger and arguably better which means more module choice in 2nd and 3rd years, taught by academics who are at the cutting edge of their fields.

b) location. Although the Warwick campus is nice and has had more money spent recently than at York, I was not keen on the whole bubble thing. People at Warwick talked about never having to leave campus in first year. Second year on most people live in Leamington which is a pretty but small town about 20 minutes away by bus. York is closer to the centre of a beautiful city with architecture from medieval, Jacobean, and Georgian periods. Much more inspiring place to study HoA and a very nice city to live in.

The term in Venice was appealing but I was told that this commits you to a dissertation based on Italian art/architecture because of library access. I think you can now do a museology module as an alternative. Study trips at York were paid for the uni in terms of travel and accommodation. I was lucky enough to have weeks in Amsterdam/Utrecht and Florence/Venice though this is not guaranteed.

I loved my time at York academically, socially and in terms of the doors it has opened career wise. Warwick would obviously be fine in terms of employability too.

Good luck with your decision.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 12, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.