This discussion is closed.
CAGEFIGHTER
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I am hoping to dentistry at Newcastle University.

I am taking chemistry, biology and ICT a-levels, will i get in with these subjects. What grades do you think i should need, i have got all three of my duke of edinburgh awards (bronze, silver, gold) and done three work placements in the dentist hospital.

I hate maths and physics so there is no way of me getting an A/B in those subjects. That is why i haven't chose them,
Bitewing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Their standard offer is ABB, - the A I think has to come from either biology or chemistry.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ideally you should do something different from ICT.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Ideally you should do something different from ICT.
Its still classed as an A-level though, and Newcastle don't specify what they want the third A-level to be. Check the prospectus to make sure though.
CAGEFIGHTER
Yeah but would an A in ICT put me ahead of other people that have say an Abb in chem, bio and maths.

And where is the University Prospectus ?
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by CAGEFIGHTER)
Yeah but would an A in ICT put me ahead of other people that have say an Abb in chem, bio and maths.

And where is the University Prospectus ?
I doubt it would put you ahead in anyway. They just select people for interview on the strength of their personal statements from the people who have the required grades. If you go on the newcastle web site www.ncl.ac.uk - you should be able to find the prosectus and/or apply to get one sent to you.
kingpong
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Even if they don't specify what the third a-level should be in, it wouldn't surprise me if they valued a third science/maths over ICT, based on difficulty alone. Having said that I was asked at 3/4 of my dentistry interviews about things computer-related on my personal statement.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kingpong)
Even if they don't specify what the third a-level should be in, it wouldn't surprise me if they valued a third science/maths over ICT, based on difficulty alone. Having said that I was asked at 3/4 of my dentistry interviews about things computer-related on my personal statement.
I think they would be more likely to decide using personal statments rather than on what the third a-level is in, as long as you have the required predicted grades.

How did you interviews go kingpong?
CAGEFIGHTER
Yeah but could you please specify what your actual a-level grades were and what subjects you took. So you mean that sheffield was the only uni that specified 2 A's and a b the rest don't mind.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kingpong)
Last year I applied and recieved 4 ABB offers, but messed up my Chemistry (needed a B), so I'm resitting and have reapplied with just Sheffield offering me a straight AAB.
I see. Good luck with getting in!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (12)
6.42%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.16%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.11%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.43%
There's nothing they could do (54)
28.88%

Watched Threads