Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    builders bums when pickin up wieghts or gettin up lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I saw one guy using the exercise ball to just bounce it around the place in between sets whilst singing to himself. That's probably not a usual one though! Definitely second the one about hanging off the treadmill bar at incline.

(Original post by baffled_mathman)
    extending their legs when the handle is nowhere near their body
    Did you mean this ^? You aren't meant to use body or arms until the legs are fully extended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I saw one guy using the exercise ball to just bounce it around the place in between sets whilst singing to himself. That's probably not a usual one though! Definitely second the one about hanging off the treadmill bar at incline.

Did you mean this ^? You aren't meant to use body or arms until the legs are fully extended.
    Erm...yes you are. The handle reaching your body should coincide with your legs being fully extended. Although the legs more than half extended before the arms start bending.

ReputationRep:

x2

People checking themselves out in the mirror. Seriously everybody does a sly look when not exercising or an admiring glance for a few seconds, but how people can walk up to within 4 inches of the mirror than check out their biceps in a packed weights room is baffling.

How can they not realise they look like total douches? Save that **** for the bedroom lads.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many I could list on the rower, but then as a 17:29/5000m person I can spot them easily. But it's amazing how few people can coordinate their body properly.
    I see people pull the handle up to their CHEST, gripping the handle with their hands too close together, extending their legs when the handle is nowhere near their body (or vice versa, legs bent with handle into body). I've even seen people watching the TV while rowing! And the number of people who only move through a small distance in each stroke...

Edit: here's a video of someone who looks like some people I've seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjhp83qP2MA
    And here's a video of some reasonably quick people pulling to their chest. I would say that you're meant to extend your legs when the handle is nowhere near your body, but perhaps we're interpreting that sentence differently.

Edit: You've clarified the extending thing, so I withdraw that comment.

ReputationRep:
    the worst thing I ever saw was a roid-head massive guy rubbing cocoa butter into his balls in the changing room - no shame!

The mirror guys. :sigh:

They are usually on their own although sometimes come with a friend, lift up their shirts, stand in front of the mirror, admire, turn around to see who's looking at them and then admire some more.

ReputationRep:
    Erm...yes you are. The handle reaching your body should coincide with your legs being fully extended..
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong here.

Edit- you ARE wrong, thought so.

Oh the irony!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Erm...yes you are. The handle reaching your body should coincide with your legs being fully extended. Although the legs more than half extended before the arms start bending.
    This is not true. The very first thing all rowers are taught is about segregating the stroke to legs->body->arms on the drive phase. No rower will tell you otherwise.

There are a number of things that matter less on an erg. For instance, in a boat going arms->body->legs on the recovery is vital to keep everyone together and for handle heights, whereas on an erg not so much. The drive phase should be segregated for optimal power output though in both cases.

Take a look at this guy:

ReputationRep:
    This is not true. The very first thing all rowers are taught is about segregating the stroke to legs->body->arms on the drive phase. No rower will tell you otherwise.

There are a number of things that matter less on an erg. For instance, in a boat going arms->body->legs on the recovery is vital to keep everyone together and for handle heights, whereas on an erg not so much. The drive phase should be segregated for optimal power output though in both cases.

Take a look at this guy:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, there is no way I would row like that man. I've seen videos of many top rowers as well, and none have that technique. Whatever works for the individual though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong here.

Edit- you ARE wrong, thought so.

Oh the irony!
    No, I'm right...have a look on YouTube at the videos of top indoor rowers.

The irony! "Correcting" someone wrongly!

ReputationRep:
    Not really a strange sight but clients with their personal trainers who do like no exercise and just chat the whole time. At my old gym there was this lady who I swear was just paying an hourly rate to just chat up her personal trainer for the whole hour and at the end of their 'session' they would have a massive cuddle?! It was really odd. Quite often I'd go into the weights room, do a whole workout and come back and they'd still be in the same place having a chat. One time I wanted to use the lat pulldown machine and they were sat on it for aaaages just having a chat and in the end I had to go over and ask if they were using it. He must have had the easiest job ever.

This also reminds me, once I arrived at the gym and there were these two guys just lying on the stretching mats. So I went off, did my workout, came back about 45 minutes and they were still just lying there? I don't think they were dead... But who goes to the gym for a lie down?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree, there is no way I would row like that man. I've seen videos of many top rowers as well, and none have that technique. Whatever works for the individual though.
    I disagree! What your saying is simply not true. Please link these videos you are talking about. I'd love to see them.

ReputationRep:
    Looooooooooool, you're wrong, you can't just agree to disagree!

I just asked my housemate, who is a qualified rowing coach, and he agreed with nexttime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neon_Neon)
    the worst thing I ever saw was a roid-head massive guy rubbing cocoa butter into his balls in the changing room - no shame!
    Ugh, reminds me of when I was in the changing room at the gym, sitting on the bench beside the lockers just casually tying my shoe laces and BAYUM naked old lady with really saggy boobs was leaning over me to get to her locker... my poor eyes

ReputationRep:
    No. If you actually rowed you would know it goes legs then body then arms.
    This is the 1st thing you would ever learn if you rowed. Don’t criticise others when you don’t know what you are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    11) skinny women who try and work out with the men, "are you serious *****? wtf are you doing benching 30Kg? GTFOff the machine!

ReputationRep:
    There are so many I could list on the rower, but then as a 17:29/5000m person I can spot them easily. But it's amazing how few people can coordinate their body properly.
    I see people pull the handle up to their CHEST, gripping the handle with their hands too close together, extending their legs when the handle is nowhere near their body (or vice versa, legs bent with handle into body). I've even seen people watching the TV while rowing! And the number of people who only move through a small distance in each stroke...

Edit: here's a video of someone who looks like some people I've seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjhp83qP2MA
    I bring the bar to my chest and extend my legs at the same time...

How do I row properly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OJHW)
    No. If you actually rowed you would know it goes legs then body then arms.
    This is the 1st thing you would ever learn if you rowed. Don’t criticise others when you don’t know what you are talking about.
    I haven't criticised anyone..if you look, rowing isn't mentioned in the OP at all.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, OP dun goofed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.