Turn on thread page Beta

Strange sights at the gym! watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Resu Eman)
    And here's a video of some reasonably quick people pulling to their chest.
    In a boat, you are supposed to pull into approximately your lower chest (around the 'solar plexus'). Any lower and your oar is out of the water!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    I bring the bar to my chest and extend my legs at the same time...

How do I row properly?
    There are some "experts" here who will tell you...but try to bring it down from your chest to your stomach. Your knees will go down just in time for this to happen ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Lol, OP dun goofed.

I'm ignoring your trolling ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    I see people pull the handle up to their CHEST,
    Also, correct rowing technique is to pull the handle up to your chest. Its not essential on an erg, but anyone who actually rows for real will pull the handle up to their chest when they erg, to mimic what must be done on the water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OJHW)
    Also, correct rowing technique is to pull the handle up to your chest. Its not essential on an erg, but anyone who actually rows for real will pull the handle up to their chest when they erg, to mimic what must be done on the water.
    Probably so...but it's not best technique on an indoor rower.

ReputationRep:
    3) People going "backwards" on the cross trainer...freaks!
    i do this... not on perpose... just have issues making it work forwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Lol, OP dun goofed.

LMAO wtf is goofed?

Hahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahaha hahhahhahaahahah

ReputationRep:
    I do number 5 every session. What footwear am i meant to wear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandingo666)
    LMAO wtf is goofed?

Hahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahaha hahhahhahaahahah
    http://hubpages.com/hub/YouDunGoofed

ReputationRep:
    Fat woman with super toned legs

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with walking on the treadmill? Its a good way to warm up/down.

ReputationRep:
    On our treadmill, if you go up to the maximum inclination it's physically impossible to keep going without holding on to the bar, considering it's almost vertical. I tend to jog however

ReputationRep:
    A guy at my gym was doing a drop set on the leg extension machine doin 8 reps from 45 to 20 kg. seeing him smugly stand up and then fall over so joke

ReputationRep:
    Probably so...but it's not best technique on an indoor rower.
    No, it isn't essential on an indoor rower to pull up to your chest. But in pulling up to your chest you finish in a stonger position and force youself to sit up, helping your breathing. The movement with your arms should mimic a bench pull with elbows tucked in & handle to top of abs.

The video that was linked earlier is the correct technique. It's not just the best way to row on the water, but best way to row indoors as well. It will feel wrong at first, its almost unnatural in many ways, especially if you already spend a fair bit of time erging. But correct technique will make a massive difference to your splits. Especially, absolutely no arms until legs are fully down & body has rocked from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock.

ReputationRep:
    One guy who picked up a dumbbell, swung it right out and cracked the glass on a display case. Pretty sure my rowing technique is awful so I've probably been the focus of a strange sight to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OJHW)
    No, it isn't essential on an indoor rower to pull up to your chest. But in pulling up to your chest you finish in a stonger position and force youself to sit up, helping your breathing. The movement with your arms should mimic a bench pull with elbows tucked in & handle to top of abs.

The video that was linked earlier is the correct technique. It's not just the best way to row on the water, but best way to row indoors as well. It will feel wrong at first, its almost unnatural in many ways, especially if you already spend a fair bit of time erging. But correct technique will make a massive difference to your splits. Especially, absolutely no arms until legs are fully down & body has rocked from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock.
    I'm not an expert on rowing technique, so I'm not going to comment on what you should do, but in that video he slightly bends his arms both before his legs are fully straightened and before he's rocked that far. I suppose this could happen without actively pulling though.

ReputationRep:
    wearing little shorts isn't to **** tease men its because its more comfortable to be wearing less clothes if your all sweaty because theres less material to uncomfortably cling to you..

ReputationRep:
    Gym looks scarry from this thread, seems like a place filled with judgemental pricks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    Yeah I saw a guy once doing seated shoulder presses with 40kg dumbells or something like that. ROM was terrible he was barely bringing them in line with the top of this head, and his mate was standing behind pushing up on his triceps on every rep. His face also looked like he was dropping a deuce
    the worst thing is when you see guys use way too much weight on the cable crossovers, looks like their arm is gonna snap or something and you can just see that the chest is not getting worked at all

ReputationRep:
    Seen a guy in the gym in a string vest and what was either the tightest shorts in the world or hot-pants, he was swole though so there was no laughing/funny looks going on.

Not exactly related to strange sights in the gym but I done work experience at a gym (easiest thing ever) and at one point there was a power-cut some how the guy fell straight off the back of the treadmill, one of the funniest things I and the rest of the gym staff had ever seen, we all went into some little office closed the door and laughed for about five minutes straight - before coming out and checking the guy was alright...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.