Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Gah, I get so annoyed when people walk on the treadmills when it's busy and there are people waiting to use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaargh)
    I call bull****, let's see some. I've never seen someone who's been in a boat for more than 5 minutes use more than one of the thirds at once; it would fack up your stroke, it would fack up the strokes of everyone around you, and it would probably lead to you taking an impromptu swim - if not by capsizing, then by your cox throwing you in.
    The thread didn't mention rowing at all to begin with!

But the discussion moved on to indoor rowing (hint, we're discussing gyms), not outdoor rowing.

ReputationRep:
    I cant think of any strange sights, but i was a strange sight once when trying to skip with a skipping rope, it was too fricken hard and frustrating .

ReputationRep:
    I don't take notice of people in my gym really, however I have experienced the people doing stupid exercises on mats :rofl:.

Also people not tidying up after using weights. I cannot stand this!, and it seems that the girls are the main culprits on this one, in my gym at least.

ReputationRep:
    i avoid the gym...so I don't end up on someone's list

ReputationRep:
    Oh and one of these mat-dwelling weird yoga-esque exercise people came over to me a while back telling me I was doing dumb-bell bicep curls wrong when I definitely wasn't. I politely listened but took no notice before he went back to his mat and began contorting his body once more.

ReputationRep:
    well today i saw the receptionist and one of those guys who gives the talk when joining the gym kissing as the guy moved her behind the wall

hope they didn't see me

ReputationRep:
    people u dont own the gym...
    people can do w.e

haha joking... its so annoying when some nasty person uses the bench press and their sweat is on it...

ReputationRep:
    The guy who pulls the maximum weight on the lat pulldown using a ridiculously dangerous technique. He also asks his friend to hold the machine whilst he's doing it. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Oh and one of these mat-dwelling weird yoga-esque exercise people came over to me a while back telling me I was doing dumb-bell bicep curls wrong when I definitely wasn't. I politely listened but took no notice before he went back to his mat and began contorting his body once more.
    Lol this has happened to me twice. The first time was when I joined a new gym and I was squatting. Now I don't profess to be the best lifter in the world, but I've been squatting long enough to know how to do it properly. However this person didn't seem to think so. I saw her staring at me while I was doing my reps with a bemused look on her face. And once I had finished she started to tell my how my stance was all worng and that my feet were too wide apart. They ****ing weren't though :pierre:. I just looked at her smiled and said, thanks but I know what I'm doing.

The second time was when I was using the exercise bike. Admittedly I don't use these all too often, but that's only because I'm a keen road cyclist, so there's no need to use the machine. However again, this guy insisted my seat was too high and that the seat should be as low as possible :rofl:. This time I wasn't so polite and quickly corrected him telling him that cycling is a hobby of mine and I know what position is the correct position to cycle in!

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with walking on a treadmill?

The only point I think I agree with is the plimsolls one. Plimsolls are not training shoes. They are good for a day at the beach, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OJHW)
    I just watched the video & from what I saw I can't see him bending his arms whilst his legs are bent. But I appreciate that in the continous rowing he hasn't perfectly finished his body lean when he starts to break his arms, and that his legs aren't perfectly flat as he starts the lean.

The stroke is split into 3 the parts, the leg drive, lean back & pull through. But you need to make the entire stroke 1 smooth motion to maintain max acceleration on the handle throughout the stroke. So you will start to lean back just as your legs reach the end of the drive, to maintain the movement on the handle generated by the legs. Likewise arms will start to break just as the back is coming to full lean.

The reason the stroke is split up is because leg strength > back strength > arm strength. The minute you break your arms for example, limits the force you can accelerate the handle with to how much force you can pull through with your arms. This is why the back isn't used until the end of the leg drive, and then arms aren't used until the end of the lean.

Its worth noting the actual motion of pulling through with your arms should be almost effortless. If your arms burn when you erg you are doing it wrong. The pull through with the arms should simply maintain the acceleration generated by the leg drive & lean, as the strength of your arms is nothing compared to the power in legs & back. And definitely not sustainable.

The best way to get the correct technique is to split it into 3 completely seperate stages, like the video did, gradually putting it together. But still thinking of it as 3 seperate stages.
    His arms start to bend just after his torso passes vertical. If you pause it at this point and then play you'll see that his legs haven't quite reached full extension. That you have to pause it to be able to check suggests that he's close enough (and possibly as close as you can reasonably expect).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    There are so many I could list on the rower, but then as a 17:29/5000m person I can spot them easily. But it's amazing how few people can coordinate their body properly.
    I see people pull the handle up to their CHEST, gripping the handle with their hands too close together, extending their legs when the handle is nowhere near their body (or vice versa, legs bent with handle into body). I've even seen people watching the TV while rowing! And the number of people who only move through a small distance in each stroke...

Edit: here's a video of someone who looks like some people I've seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjhp83qP2MA
    This is spot on. (not the rowing in the video, the point you made)

Im currently overweight recovering from a rugby injury and some jackass in the gym the other week tried showing me up, clearly thinking, lets try and show up the fat guy up the gym on the rowing machine.

So he jumps on the machine next to me, i've been on there for five minutes already. I keep going, I do half hour on there. He was off in 4 minutes :rofl: He went full pelt with incorrect technique and he was absolutely shattered. The last minute he slowed down considerably and I just had to contain myself because I was dying to laugh at him in front of everyone but thought better of it in case others thought I was rude.

Thats a good pace you got there for the rowing machine. Is that on an air rower? I find the air rowers a lot harder than the ones in the gym to be honest. I have an Oxford CS II Rower at home now though which I find is a lot more difficult than the machines at the gym. I find them a lot easier where you set the resistance.

I + repped you though because that video reminded me of that moment and made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    This is not true. The very first thing all rowers are taught is about segregating the stroke to legs->body->arms on the drive phase. No rower will tell you otherwise.

There are a number of things that matter less on an erg. For instance, in a boat going arms->body->legs on the recovery is vital to keep everyone together and for handle heights, whereas on an erg not so much. The drive phase should be segregated for optimal power output though in both cases.

Take a look at this guy:

The technique in this video is right.

ReputationRep:
    It was my arms day yesterday. But anyay,when I walked into the gym I say a guy setting up for squats in the curl rack. Fair enough, I thought, I can wait, but then he started to squat the the most awful form I had seen. He had the bar in the wrong position as it had slipped down his back, he was leaning way too far forward when he should have had his torso upright, and then he was going way too low and also much faster than 2 secs up and 2 secs down. My knees and back were hurting just watching him. In the end I told the trainer about him and that the trainer should show him correct form.

I see some crazy stuff in my gym.

ReputationRep:
    annoying when girls (normally ****s) blatantly go just to get on lads, just stand around doing nothing and being all embarrassed, you overhear them like, "I cant run or lift weights or do that etc", Then why the **** did you come to a gym!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    Lol this has happened to me twice. The first time was when I joined a new gym and I was squatting. Now I don't profess to be the best lifter in the world, but I've been squatting long enough to know how to do it properly. However this person didn't seem to think so. I saw her staring at me while I was doing my reps with a bemused look on her face. And once I had finished she started to tell my how my stance was all worng and that my feet were too wide apart. They ****ing weren't though :pierre:. I just looked at her smiled and said, thanks but I know what I'm doing.

The second time was when I was using the exercise bike. Admittedly I don't use these all too often, but that's only because I'm a keen road cyclist, so there's no need to use the machine. However again, this guy insisted my seat was too high and that the seat should be as low as possible :rofl:. This time I wasn't so polite and quickly corrected him telling him that cycling is a hobby of mine and I know what position is the correct position to cycle in!
    haha why would it need to be in the lowest position, so he probably thinks the pros are wrong too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    There are so many I could list on the rower, but then as a 17:29/5000m person I can spot them easily. But it's amazing how few people can coordinate their body properly.
    I see people pull the handle up to their CHEST, gripping the handle with their hands too close together, extending their legs when the handle is nowhere near their body (or vice versa, legs bent with handle into body). I've even seen people watching the TV while rowing! And the number of people who only move through a small distance in each stroke...

Edit: here's a video of someone who looks like some people I've seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjhp83qP2MA
    boasting much? btw im a 17:28/5000m guy, pawned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandingo666)
    x2

People checking themselves out in the mirror. Seriously everybody does a sly look when not exercising or an admiring glance for a few seconds, but how people can walk up to within 4 inches of the mirror than check out their biceps in a packed weights room is baffling.

How can they not realise they look like total douches? Save that **** for the bedroom lads.
    You obviously haven't seen this loud-mouthed black kid with his crew at my place. Loud as **** and he dances in front of the mirrors in front of everyone squealing like a ***** slapped pig.

He has terrible ROM, does 10+ exercises for just his scrawny arms and wears a hat l;ike a gangstar! I hate commercial gyms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    What's wrong with walking on a treadmill?

The only point I think I agree with is the plimsolls one. Plimsolls are not training shoes. They are good for a day at the beach, that's all.
    I've squatted in plimsolls before.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.