Turn on thread page Beta

Strange sights at the gym! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    This is spot on. (not the rowing in the video, the point you made)

Im currently overweight recovering from a rugby injury and some jackass in the gym the other week tried showing me up, clearly thinking, lets try and show up the fat guy up the gym on the rowing machine.

So he jumps on the machine next to me, i've been on there for five minutes already. I keep going, I do half hour on there. He was off in 4 minutes :rofl: He went full pelt with incorrect technique and he was absolutely shattered. The last minute he slowed down considerably and I just had to contain myself because I was dying to laugh at him in front of everyone but thought better of it in case others thought I was rude.

Thats a good pace you got there for the rowing machine. Is that on an air rower? I find the air rowers a lot harder than the ones in the gym to be honest. I have an Oxford CS II Rower at home now though which I find is a lot more difficult than the machines at the gym. I find them a lot easier where you set the resistance.

I + repped you though because that video reminded me of that moment and made me laugh
    Thanks, pleased someone knows their stuff! I checked my times and I've done 17:24.2 for 5k, so a slight mistake there! It was on a Concept2 (the most recent model). They are widely accepted as the best indoor rowers, well worth a try. I + repped you as well as some Wilf had neg repped it! It's a great video..I think it's even funnier that they entered for the National Championships than that they can't row!

(Original post by Ventura7)
    boasting much? btw im a 17:28/5000m guy, pawned!
    See above...keep the training up!

(Original post by Stir fried Giblets)
    I'm numbers 1) and 2). I'm just too terrified to let go and start jogging! :O
    What are your fears? I'll do my best to reassure you!

(Original post by genki)
    I read on cardio machines. I'm a student and I always have a ton of work, and that's the best way for me to get some exercise without feeling really guilty about putting off work. Also, staying on a cardio machine for an hour gets really boring. I don't think it's that strange...
    Stay on for half an hour and actually put some effort in, then spend the other half an hour at home reading. If you can read a book, the session clearly has hardly any intensity and is practically a waste of your valuable time.

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    Running backwards as fast as I could used to be one of many drills I had to do when I was training for badminton.
    I've knew a coach who took several players from beginner to playing for England. It was never part of the coaching he gave out. But regardless, the point still stands.

annoying when girls (normally ****s) blatantly go just to get on lads, just stand around doing nothing and being all embarrassed, you overhear them like, "I cant run or lift weights or do that etc", Then why the **** did you come to a gym!
    Very true...that should have been my number 11. They often seem to just do a small amount of skipping so the lads they are after see their breasts bouncing about. After a week or two they disappear having not attracted the muscle men who are still there every day.

ReputationRep:
    Personal trainers who help and offer advice instead of strutting around flirting with girls thinking they know it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    I nearly stated that some idiot would say this in the original post...it's so sadly predictable. You think I notice these things while "walking around gyms" do you?

Maybe you're the tragic one for having enough spare time to comment on it, if you're dim enough to see it that way.
    You are right. As long you you think you so.

Get it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    You are right. As long you you think you so.

Get it?
    Erm, no.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, pleased someone knows their stuff! I checked my times and I've done 17:24.2 for 5k, so a slight mistake there! It was on a Concept2 (the most recent model). They are widely accepted as the best indoor rowers, well worth a try. I + repped you as well as some Wilf had neg repped it! It's a great video..I think it's even funnier that they entered for the National Championships than that they can't row!

See above...keep the training up!

What are your fears? I'll do my best to reassure you!

Stay on for half an hour and actually put some effort in, then spend the other half an hour at home reading. If you can read a book, the session clearly has hardly any intensity and is practically a waste of your valuable time.

I've knew a coach who took several players from beginner to playing for England. It was never part of the coaching he gave out. But regardless, the point still stands.

Very true...that should have been my number 11. They often seem to just do a small amount of skipping so the lads they are after see their breasts bouncing about. After a week or two they disappear having not attracted the muscle men who are still there every day.
    i was being sarcastic you ****, who cares about your rowing time anyway, rowing sucks

ReputationRep:
    i was being sarcastic you ****, who cares about your rowing time anyway, rowing sucks
    And I was being sarcastic too, you ****. And you suck as well as rowing.

ReputationRep:
    And I was being sarcastic too, you ****. And you suck as well as rowing.
    haha ok lets leave it there, least we both agree about annoying ****s at gym yes?

ReputationRep:
    haha ok lets leave it there, least we both agree about annoying ****s at gym yes?
    Yes...there's no chance of disagreement on those hoes..lol

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DugLt-spoI

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm right...have a look on YouTube at the videos of top indoor rowers.

The irony! "Correcting" someone wrongly!
    Actual rowers will extend legs before bringing the back and arms in, otherwise less power is transferred to the blade.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many I could list on the rower, but then as a 17:29/5000m person I can spot them easily. But it's amazing how few people can coordinate their body properly.
    I see people pull the handle up to their CHEST, gripping the handle with their hands too close together, extending their legs when the handle is nowhere near their body (or vice versa, legs bent with handle into body). I've even seen people watching the TV while rowing! And the number of people who only move through a small distance in each stroke...

Edit: here's a video of someone who looks like some people I've seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjhp83qP2MA
    I swear I use the rowing machine wrong. I'd love if it someone like you would come over and say "do you want me to show you how to use that properly?" Why don't you offer next time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lekky)
    I swear I use the rowing machine wrong. I'd love if it someone like you would come over and say "do you want me to show you how to use that properly?" Why don't you offer next time.
    Much of this thread is about how HE does it wrong

This is a useful video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfd...layer_embedded

ReputationRep:
    STFU about rowing!

ReputationRep:
    1) People walking on the treadmill.
    2) People walking on an incline on the treadmill and holding onto the bar...!
    3) People going "backwards" on the cross trainer...freaks!
    4) People with their sweatshirt or tracksuit top tied around their waist.
    5) People wearing plimsolls (mainly young men)...weird, just weird!
    6) Women wearing skimpy little shorts for no exercise reason...just to **** tease the men.
    7) People reading BOOKS while on CV machines...are you for real?!
    8) People cycling like crazy with the seat far too low..ridiculous!
    9) People who think doing a few weird and wonderful looking exercises on the mats makes them look impressive while avoiding a proper workout.
    10) People wearing odd hats and looking like gnomes in fully heated gyms..why?!
    1) Erm, so what? I alternate between running and walking (on an incline, funnily enough) because I'm sorry but I'm not ridiculously super fit enough (yet) to just run solidly. Also I sometimes walk on it inbetween other things when I need a rest but don't want to have to stop altogether.
    2) so?
    3) At my uni gym there is a an actual program on the machine during which it tells you to pedal forward and then after a while pedal backward and so on. Pretty sure it works different muscles.
    4) They got too hot.
    6) Highly doubtful they care.
    7) Why not? You can get bored.
    10) Wut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Much of this thread is about how HE does it wrong

This is a useful video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfd...layer_embedded
    No, I don't do it wrong at all. There is no one totally correct method, but that video certainly isn't how I'd ever row, or most serious indoor rowers would.

I would place money on having rowed further on an indoor rower than anyone here.

This video shows how to do it properly (you'll notice it's had far more hits as well). OVER 275,000 MORE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmM...eature=related

You'll notice that my technique is perfectly valid and although different people have different techniques, this (mine) is the most "mainstream".

I would help people out in the gym, but not everyone appreciates it. Especially young women, who probably think men's agenda is to get in their knickers. I'm pleased you'd appreciate any help, but I wouldn't take the risk with most people!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, I don't do it wrong at all. There is no one totally correct method, but that video certainly isn't how I'd ever row, or most serious indoor rowers would.

I would place money on having rowed further on an indoor rower than anyone here.

This video shows how to do it properly (you'll notice it's had far more hits as well). OVER 275,000 MORE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmM...eature=related

You'll notice that my technique is perfectly valid and although different people have different techniques, this (mine) is the most "mainstream".
    The only difference between that guy and the one i posted is that he uses his back slightly earlier. As in, miliseconds. He still does not use his arms until the very end. It is the same technique. This is not what you posted and have been defending. I quote:

I see people ... extending their legs when the handle is nowhere near their body
    There is no one in the world who would agree with you that that is wrong, except, perhaps, the girl in the video you originally posted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The only difference between that guy and the one i posted is that he uses his back slightly earlier. As in, miliseconds. He still does not use his arms until the very end. It is the same technique. This is not what you posted and have been defending. I quote:

There is no one in the world who would agree with you that that is wrong, except, perhaps, the girl in the video you originally posted!
    I think you need to check the meaning of the phrase "NOWHERE near the body"....you're just splitting hairs for the sake of it. Trolling is what some people call it.

ReputationRep:
    i always see this one guy who wears a hoodie and puts the hood over his head and zips it up so you can only see his eyes...i asked him once why he does it and he said, "it's good to sweat whilst exercising and covering up like this makes me sweat more" :|
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think you need to check the meaning of the phrase "NOWHERE near the body"....you're just splitting hairs for the sake of it. Trolling is what some people call it.
    Yes - you said that extending the legs with the hands straight was WRONG. You then back this up by saying:

The handle reaching your body should coincide with your legs being fully extended. Although the legs more than half extended before the arms start bending.
    This is then not seen AT ALL in the video you posted. If you can not see this then i have no time for you.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure baffled mathman is trolling now.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.