Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Strange sights at the gym! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Seen a guy spend 40 mins + just doing assisted chin ups before...

Starting at about 10kg of assist and by the end he had 60 or 70kg of assist and he was a small guy so was probably only chinning about 5kg by the end...
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I always see people going backwards on the cross trainer. So much so that I actually began questioning If I was the one doing it wrong lmao

Girls in skimpy outfits, with full make up on and hair done perfectly who don't even break a sweat. What is the point?

A disgusting thing happened at the gym the other day. My bf came out the changing rooms and told me that whilst in the shower, a man in the next cubicle, was making that horrible noise when you try and get flem up. Then, when out of the shower, the same man belched really loudly and followed it up with an all massive, wet sounding, fart. Seriously that is just gross haha

Oh and a weird/disgusting thing I see a lot in the women's changing rooms is older women who feel the need to, when naked, raise on leg on to the bench to dry themselves etc. Now fair enough if you don't mind getting stark naked and not trying to cover yourself up at all but that is taking it a bit too far.

Also a women took her top half of her bikini of in the jacuzzi the other day. When a staff member walked by she just held the strings behind her head. I just could not see the point. My bf was rather traumatised haha no doubt he wouldn't of minded so much if she wasn't so old and saggy looking lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    What are your fears? I'll do my best to reassure you!
    Not being able to keep up, haha and falling off.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, no.
    I did not expect you to do so. Don't worry. My expectations regarding your understanding are quite low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    I did not expect you to do so. Don't worry. My expectations regarding your understanding are quite low.
    "As long you you think you so." makes no sense in English. So maybe you should start looking at yourself, small boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    I always see people going backwards on the cross trainer. So much so that I actually began questioning If I was the one doing it wrong lmao
    Is there some law against going backwards on the cross-trainer or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    i always see this one guy who wears a hoodie and puts the hood over his head and zips it up so you can only see his eyes...i asked him once why he does it and he said, "it's good to sweat whilst exercising and covering up like this makes me sweat more" :|

Why is this weird? People often do this to aid in cutting weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny.)
    Is there some law against going backwards on the cross-trainer or something?
    Yes, The Correct Usage of Cross Trainers Act 1993

No its just that when I was showed how to use it by the trainer I was told to go forward, so I originally assumed they were just using it wrong as tbh it is easy to do, but now I actually wonder if there is a benefit to going backwards.

ReputationRep:
    "As long you you think you so." makes no sense in English. So maybe you should start looking at yourself, small boy.
    As long as you think so. You know it. I know you know it.

ReputationRep:
    -Jamaal Johnsons with a DB in one arm, extended to its full height and they walk across the gyms running track.

And what the **** is that good for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Yes, The Correct Usage of Cross Trainers Act 1993

No its just that when I was showed how to use it by the trainer I was told to go forward, so I originally assumed they were just using it wrong as tbh it is easy to do, but now I actually wonder if there is a benefit to going backwards.
    When I was given my induction I was told to alternate between forwards and backwards as it works different muscles/parts of the muscle (clearly not a science guy...).

ReputationRep:
    Girl on the treadmill with a 1.5 litre of diet coke yeah thats right
    Guys doing bicep curls swinging there back all the way out to curl 30kg well done douchebags

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    when working out u should drink enough water to replace the sweat u lost so the hoodie is pointless

ReputationRep:
    I once saw a woman on the treadmill who, instead of a water bottle, had a cup of water. Seemed rather weird at the time. She struggled to drink without stopping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    When I was given my induction I was told to alternate between forwards and backwards as it works different muscles/parts of the muscle (clearly not a science guy...).
    Well that makes a lot more sense now. I mean the first couple of people I saw I just thought ok they are just doing it wrong but now it is like every other person. Feel like i am missing out on something now. may have to demand my money back haha

ReputationRep:
    Fat asians bench pressing around 50-100, and only doing 1 rep

ReputationRep:
    really cos he is the first person i've seen do that and i've been to about 4-5 different gyms :rolleyes:
    and he was in the weights room as well
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Only if you mean 'cutting weight' by making yourself dehydrated!

(Original post by DiscoPigeon)
    when working out u should drink enough water to replace the sweat u lost so the hoodie is pointless
    I have seen a number of people do this including one professional thai boxer. It is to aid with thermoregulation and training your body to stay cool. Clearly you should drink a lot and take on plenty of ions whilst doing it, yes.

(Original post by Billa Bong)
    really cos he is the first person i've seen do that and i've been to about 4-5 different gyms :rolleyes:
    and he was in the weights room as well
    The whole doing it up to his eyes thing is just odd, but not necessarily the hoodie itself. Not that many people do it no (it is really quite unpleasant) but i have seen them.

He probably couldn't be bothered to take it off for weights. Or it could be because it is like a ****ing waterfall underneath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The whole doing it up to his eyes thing is just odd, but not necessarily the hoodie itself. Not that many people do it no (it is really quite unpleasant) but i have seen them.

He probably couldn't be bothered to take it off for weights. Or it could be because it is like a ****ing waterfall underneath.
    yeah i've seen people with hoodies and that but he has it zipped up to his eyes...and the thing is he goes straight to the weights room so yeah...pretty weird i though

ReputationRep:
    Most disgusting sight for me was a rather large man who always comes in to walk on a treadmill dripping. He'd actually leave puddles on either side of of the treadmill. I appreciate he's probably trying to lose weight, but God...

Another strange sight- a woman with such a bad technique on a rowing machine I actually thought she was going to put her back out. Gym staff should really step in when they see stuff like that.

General weird outfits, really. Once saw a guy wearing about 6 of those huge necklaces, and women in leggings with terrible VPL etc.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.