Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been accepted to take part in the national youth theatre in 2011, and all the threads seem to be about the audition.
    I was wondering if any current or previous members could tell me a little about their experience,
    I just wanted to know, what the two week course is like? If it is honestly worth money (I'm not sure if i can afford it)? What happens after the course?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey! First, can I ask, are you on a performance or technical course?

Congratulations for getting onto a summer course- I auditioned for an acting course in January and found out yesterday that I didn't make the cut. My best friend on the other hand got in. It's been pretty difficult for me to deal with, especially as we went together and my individual audition was straight after hers, but on the other hand I'm very happy for her! I'm not a previous member so in that case I can't tell you if it's worth the money- I don't even know exactly how much it costs- but what I have heard people say who've completed the course is that although it's expensive, it's so much fun and it's intensive training that looks really good on a CV. The NYT are a very well-respected company and plenty of celebrities have completed one of their summer courses; Daniel Craig, Orlando Bloom, Matt Smith. Also if you look at the online profiles of the RADA, LAMDA and Central graduates those who trained at the NYT include it in their performance training, it'll say something like: "Training: NYT summer course".

It is a LOT of money but if you want to be an actor (I do) I think it's a great oppurtunity. I've tried to be annoyed that I didn't get in but based on how much fun I had on auditioned day I can't and I'm just going to try again. I'm trying to take the knockbacks and move on from them because I know how difficult it will be to make it. If you're serious about performing then I would try all you can to go because it is an AMAZING thing to be part of. You only get chances like this once in a lifetime. You can apply for bursaries and write to banks to raise the funds, but it takes a lot of effort. I believe The Stage do a bursary because I was reading it the other day- why not check out their website?

Hope this helps. If you do raise the money to go (it'll take some work) I hope you enjoy yourself. My family are totally skint and financially the course would be pretty much impossible. But there are things out their to help you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I also got a place, and whilst I'm really grateful I'm not entirely sure whether I'll go or not.
    I'm 21 so feel as though I'm a bit too old to go on it really seeing as you can only be a member until your 23, and I don't think I want to follow acting as a career. Could anyone else shed some light on whether the course is worth it?

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted too and i'm definitely going at the audition i was chatting to the girls who were there last year and they said it was just an amazing experience!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got accepted onto a stage management course this summer, really excited but don't really know what to expect! Anyone been on one already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmm)
    Hey I got accepted onto a stage management course this summer, really excited but don't really know what to expect! Anyone been on one already?
    Hey, I got accepted into the Stage Management course as well!!! Totally dont know what to expect either, although the person that interviewed me said that we learn a lot of the skills that you would learn in the first year at Drama School so I'm really excited. See you in the summer! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jack)
    Hi,

I also got a place, and whilst I'm really grateful I'm not entirely sure whether I'll go or not.
    I'm 21 so feel as though I'm a bit too old to go on it really seeing as you can only be a member until your 23, and I don't think I want to follow acting as a career. Could anyone else shed some light on whether the course is worth it?
    Im 20 soon turning 21 soo i was feeling the same! I used to go to drama school and quit now im at uni doing something completely different, from what i have been told its just such a good experience firstly even to be accepted and it wil give u skills which you can use in loads of different things in the future and it looks good on job apps and cvs etc.... aprt from tht... it seems like it will just be so much fun I am gonna go, sure it wont do too much harm... except to my bank balance...xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia-rose)
    It is a LOT of money but if you want to be an actor (I do) I think it's a great oppurtunity. I've tried to be annoyed that I didn't get in but based on how much fun I had on auditioned day I can't and I'm just going to try again. I'm trying to take the knockbacks and move on from them because I know how difficult it will be to make it. If you're serious about performing then I would try all you can to go because it is an AMAZING thing to be part of. You only get chances like this once in a lifetime.
    The thing is I'm not sure if I want to follow acting as a career, although I do love to act. So I don't know if the course is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia-rose)
    Congratulations for getting onto a summer course- I auditioned for an acting course in January and found out yesterday that I didn't make the cut. My best friend on the other hand got in. It's been pretty difficult for me to deal with, especially as we went together and my individual audition was straight after hers, but on the other hand I'm very happy for her!
    Also, thanks so much for your help.
    I wouldn't worry about not getting in if I were you because apparently loads of people get don't get in their first year.
    You sound really passionate, so you should try again next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameis.)
    I have been accepted to take part in the national youth theatre in 2011, and all the threads seem to be about the audition.
    I was wondering if any current or previous members could tell me a little about their experience,
    I just wanted to know, what the two week course is like? If it is honestly worth money (I'm not sure if i can afford it)? What happens after the course?

Thanks
    Hey,

Definitely go to the course - luckily I got in too and I couldn't be more excited! Sounds like the best from everyone I've talked to, nothing but amazing reports but the money's seems to be the issue. Can't say whether it's worth the money or not yet but I reckon it will be.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone suggest a really funny and new or rarely used monologue that would be good for a young woman?

I'm doing auditions which ask for two contrasting monologues. I've got one down which is quite poignant (Portia's "is Brutus sick?" speech from Julius Caesar) So I would like something funny but not well known to go with it. Preferably intended for someone between the ages of 16-22ish and as new as possible. So if you have any suggestions please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I also got into the acting course this year, i'm really excited. I am a uni student in my second so paying for the fees is going to be really hard for me. I think I might apply for the busary that they are offering. Does anyone know whether the busary is hard to get???

And does anyone what exactly we will be doing during the two weeks. I heard from a lot of past applicants that it is the best experience of your life xx hayley

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone at the LABAN course for the 1st two weeks of august? I'm 17 and as that is the age limit for the LABAN course, I'm quite worried that I'm going to be one of the oldest! :l

ReputationRep:
    im going to laban and im 17 too! if that makes u feel any better lol

ReputationRep:
    I will be at Laban in August and will be 17 as well xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey whats going down in August at Laban? I can't find any information for stuff happening in the first two weeks of August anywhere! :O xx

ReputationRep:
    Are you all doing the acting course for NYT or are any of you doing the Technical side (Stage Management/Costume Design)? xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 16 (17 in august) going to the LABAN course too anyone doing course 15 by any chance?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.