Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Maintaining constant conditions in the body.

25 marks! and all I can think of is homeostasis which is one chapter out of 33 of the entire Biology course, I can think of very weak links (like immune responses) but where else in the syllabus is there info on this question other than the chapter on homeostasis?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You could mention water loss in plants, insects, fish and mammals(assuming the body is not specific to humans!). You could talk about pumps eg how sodium and potassium pumps maintain a resting potential in the axon membrane. Constant conditions does not simply just refer to homeostasis.

Off the syllabus I can only think of pH in the blood system maintained by a buffer with hydrogen carbonate. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, you should have a browse through the specification, and anything you spot you should jot down

ReputationRep:
    You could talk about control of the heart rate by parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems as well.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    You could talk about control of the heart rate by parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems as well.
    Yes you can Also muscle contraction, the heart and the SA node in maintaining constant blood pressure and heart rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Yes you can Also muscle contraction, the heart and the SA node in maintaining constant blood pressure and heart rate
    Include vasodilation, sweating, advantages and disadvantages of being an ectotherm and an endotherm with regards to constant maintenance...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2011

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.