Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My mate is on lymecycline for acne, and has increased his dose without actually asking his doctor if he should. Obviously I've told him he shouldn't as it could be dangerous but he claims he has checked the maximum dosage for it and he is not exceeding it apparently. However i suspect this to be bull**** as I used to be on lymecycline for acne when I was 16 and I only took 1 capsule daily so I know for a fact it's strong stuff, but he has now increased to four capsules a day.

I did some googling to show him this is dangerous, however i can't actually find anything that has the maximum dosage. Does anyone in here know the maximum dose for lymecycline?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How old is your friend?

I've checked the BNF, but i only have the childrens version.

The maximum dose for acne for 12-18 year olds is 408mg. Which is, I believe 1 capsule a day.

However the dose for 'susceptible infections' is 408mg twice daily, increasing to 1.224-1.632mg daily in severe infections. So this would be a maximum of 4 capsules.

So he's read the right dosage, but for the wrong condition, which could put him at risk of a very long list of side effects.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2000lightyears)
    Hi,

How old is your friend?

I've checked the BNF, but i only have the childrens version.

The maximum dose for acne for 12-18 year olds is 408mg. Which is, I believe 1 capsule a day.

However the dose for 'susceptible infections' is 408mg twice daily, increasing to 1.224-1.632mg daily in severe infections. So this would be a maximum of 4 capsules.

So he's read the right dosage, but for the wrong condition, which could put him at risk of a very long list of side effects.
    Hope this helps
    He's just turned 20. I argued for about 40 min with him that he shouldn't self increase his dose, but he is so stubborn and was adamant it was ok.

Cheers anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    He's just turned 20. I argued for about 40 min with him that he shouldn't self increase his dose, but he is so stubborn and was adamant it was ok.

Cheers anyway.

Well I checked the adult dose and for acne he should only be taking 408mg once a day.

I'd try to talk to him again, like you said he shouldn't self increase his dose, he's putting himself at risk of liver damage along with other nasty side effects as the high dosage is only intended for severe infections and should only be taken for a short period.

good luck telling him that though lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2000lightyears)
    Well I checked the adult dose and for acne he should only be taking 408mg once a day.

I'd try to talk to him again, like you said he shouldn't self increase his dose, he's putting himself at risk of liver damage along with other nasty side effects as the high dosage is only intended for severe infections and should only be taken for a short period.

good luck telling him that though lol
    Cheers, I'll tell him next time I see him. Doubt it will make any difference though lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.