Turn on thread page Beta

Are shops allowed to do this? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was buying potatoes from co-op today. I put 5 smaller than normal sized potatoes in a bag, weighed it and it came up just short of 1kg. I go to pay for them, and the guy at the till charges me for 2kg as that's the weight that came up on his till. We told the guy at the till that it showed up as 1Kg in the vegetable aisle but he showed me his weighing and it was 2kg. I therefore handed over £3 for the potatoes :mad: and went home. I weighed it at home and it was 1Kg, and so I believe the till scales was rigged.

I went back to co-op with the potatoes and asked him to weigh them and they came up as 1Kg. After asking for a refund, he said he couldn't as I may have taken potatoes out of the bag :eek: .

So all in all, i've just been scammed by a major retailer and I believe the scales are rigged. I was wondering what can I do about this and whether this is illegal?

ReputationRep:
    m8 no offence but this aint school so dont go writing essays that cost effort to read u know what i mean. Also seems like a maths question or summit boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grinning)
    m8 no offence but this aint school so dont go writing essays that cost effort to read u know what i mean. Also seems like a maths question or summit boring.
    It's 8 lines FFS!

ReputationRep:
    The scales probably weren't "rigged" - just broken.

Co-op generally do listen to their customers and don't suspect dishonesty. Just ask the guy's supervisor or manager if you want a proper refund next time - they know how how things work.

I'm surprised this happened in fact - the co-op are in fact a little too trusting. They used to have a double refund policy where if a product is broken, they give either a decent product AND the cash back, or just double the cash.

They had that for a very long time until finally it came to their attention that people would buy £20 bottles of whiskey, break the seal and make a mint in 5 minutes.

Probably won't happen again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    The scales probably weren't "rigged" - just broken.

Co-op generally do listen to their customers and don't suspect dishonesty. Just ask the guy's supervisor or manager if you want a proper refund next time - they know how how things work.

I'm surprised this happened in fact - the co-op are in fact a little too trusting. They used to have a double refund policy where if a product is broken, they give either a decent product AND the cash back, or just double the cash.

They had that for a very long time until finally it came to their attention that people would buy £20 bottles of whiskey, break the seal and make a mint in 5 minutes.

Probably won't happen again.
    Hmm, probably was just faulty then. I'll probably not buy loose products anymore. Pr-bagged items work out cheaper.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.