Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to LIKE being depressed? watch

ReputationRep:
    If you are bi-polar you can enjoy your condition at times but I've never heard of anyone liking being depressed.

Personally I can't stand it. I have to take tablets just to be able to live a normal life and I've never been the same since I was a kid.

It's hard to explain, I mean I'm very lucky and I have many things to be happy about but without the tablets I just never could be.

The tablets basically just balance out a chemical deficiency, that's it. I'm actually quite an optimisitic person and happy go lucky in general which I suppose is why I find it hard to understand how someone can be happy and actually depressed. Seems some what of a contradiction in terms.

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot. Your self pity is simply pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's possible to be depressed for so long, that it's something you're used it, and so it's difficult to think about being any other way.

But I sure don't like being depressed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The doctors told me I had depression. Part of me feels like it's all wrong and that I'm lying about all my symptoms. The other part of me accepts this diagnosis. The other, other part of me wants to hurl myself off a bridge.

I feel like an attention seeker for telling people. I told three people and it just feels so wrong that they know. What if they tell one person each? Then, 6 people would know. And if they told another one person each, then 9 people would know and so on... Y'know what? Maybe it's not depression at all. Maybe it's just self-piteous teenage hormones.

Anyway, my question is... supposing I did have depression, will it ever go away? And the more worrying question, why the heck do I like being sad? This is the main reason why I think I don't have depression. What kind of depressed person likes being depressed??

This question is probably one self contradiction after another. I don't even know what to think.

Thanks for reading.

Oh OP *hugs* I used to feel exactly how you describe when I was ill. There was a part of me that used to love being depressed. Used to absolutely adore being a little ****ed up. I used to tell myself "you're not depressed, don't be so ****ing stupic, you're just an attention seeker, you could snap out of this any time you wanted" It was like I had 3 or 4 monsters with contradicting feelings. One that said I was pathetic, attention seeking... deserved to feel like this. One that knew I was ill, that knew I COULD get better and absolutely deserved to get better and look after myself. And a part of me that loved and reveled in being ill. Wanted to stay that way,

I think when you've been feeling depressed for a while, it almost becomes normal for you, it feels very familiar. Almost safe to stay in that state
    . You just can't imagine being better, but when you get there, you can clearly feel the difference.

You absolutely CAN get better. I did. It isn't easy. but you can. And I'm sure you will. I hope you don't do it the way I did. I had to hit rock bottom before getting better. I came close to ending my life. But for some people, I think that is what has to happen.

Another thing. There isn't really anything wrong with attention seeking! Think about it. No one seeks attention for the sake of it. People need and want attention because they need something from people. They need help. Its OK to seek help. Its probably best to go to the right places for it.

But as I said, what you are saying is VERY familiar to me, so you aren't alone in feeling like this. Even if its just you and i
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Could answer this, but then you lot will find out something personal about me and am not comfy with that. :confused: Sod It !!

To the original poster, your not depressed, your confused! You want things to be better, but don't have the drive to make it better.

Depression in its various states, can have long lasting affects on the person that suffer from it AND the persons around that person (Family and Friends)

Loss of awareness, constant anxiety, loss of self belief, loss of self worth all lead to the first steps on the spiral of hell that is depression.

So lets slide down that slope, where does it lead you, without the right intervention you may become more socially excluded cause you don't want to face life any more and when that items comes into play, you are then looking for a way to just be done with it all.

And just so you all know where I am coming from in responding, all that I have said above I have went through personally!

I have always had an issue with emotions and the likes, and when things got tough, I just folded and gave in trying! As a young adult I made a few mistakes, watched a few of my close friends die due to experimentation (drugs) and even lost a good friend due to a violent hate crime. Things like this will play in the back of your mind for a while to come.

And cause I did not seek help for these trivial things back then ( we did not use such services back then ) deciding instead to "tuff it out" well, lets just say that a good portion of lifes journey for me was gray !

It's not all doom and gloom though, I finally found some folks around me, support services and even the ability to go out and just smell the roses ( being careful with the hayfever of course ) to slowly but surely get a little bit of myself back into the frey!

Am I cured from my depression!! Hell NO ! .. there is no cure, all that happens is you deal with the underlying issues and get on with your life as best as you can.

Am I emotionally stable ?? Probably not! But thats as is... hey ho!

Does all of this make me any less of a person ??? Dinae be daft !!!

Just remember this simple little fact!!

YOU are UNIQUE !!! Just like everyone else out there !

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone likes being depressed as such, but many people with long-term depression do fear getting better. If you have felt the way you do for a long time it becomes part of your identity and it can be very worrying to think that your personality or skills may change if you recover. It's also very scary because with depression you have to put a lot of effort into recovery yourself. If you feel like the future is hopeless, it can be difficult to see the point in doing this. Even talking about your feelings can be hard because it can make them feel more raw.

It doesn't sound like you are attention seeking if you have only told your doctor and 3 friends about your feelings, and you are worried about other people finding out. Medical attention from your doctor is a completely appropriate kind of attention to be seeking if you may have an illness such as depression. And the support of good friends is appropriate too.

I hope you can access the support you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvieMo)
    I don't think anyone likes being depressed as such, but many people with long-term depression do fear getting better. If you have felt the way you do for a long time it becomes part of your identity and it can be very worrying to think that your personality or skills may change if you recover. It's also very scary because with depression you have to put a lot of effort into recovery yourself. If you feel like the future is hopeless, it can be difficult to see the point in doing this. Even talking about your feelings can be hard because it can make them feel more raw.

It doesn't sound like you are attention seeking if you have only told your doctor and 3 friends about your feelings, and you are worried about other people finding out. Medical attention from your doctor is a completely appropriate kind of attention to be seeking if you may have an illness such as depression. And the support of good friends is appropriate too.

I hope you can access the support you need.
    Great post. Part of the recovery for me was not being afraid to tell people or them finding out that I suffer from depression. That doesn't mean I went round telling everyone I knew but when I was comfortable I told friends and after a while I didn't care who knew despite the fact I hardly wanted it broadcasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbzWayne)
    Could answer this, but then you lot will find out something personal about me and am not comfy with that. :confused: Sod It !!

To the original poster, your not depressed, your confused! You want things to be better, but don't have the drive to make it better.

Depression in its various states, can have long lasting affects on the person that suffer from it AND the persons around that person (Family and Friends)

Loss of awareness, constant anxiety, loss of self belief, loss of self worth all lead to the first steps on the spiral of hell that is depression.

So lets slide down that slope, where does it lead you, without the right intervention you may become more socially excluded cause you don't want to face life any more and when that items comes into play, you are then looking for a way to just be done with it all.

And just so you all know where I am coming from in responding, all that I have said above I have went through personally!

I have always had an issue with emotions and the likes, and when things got tough, I just folded and gave in trying! As a young adult I made a few mistakes, watched a few of my close friends die due to experimentation (drugs) and even lost a good friend due to a violent hate crime. Things like this will play in the back of your mind for a while to come.

And cause I did not seek help for these trivial things back then ( we did not use such services back then ) deciding instead to "tuff it out" well, lets just say that a good portion of lifes journey for me was gray !

It's not all doom and gloom though, I finally found some folks around me, support services and even the ability to go out and just smell the roses ( being careful with the hayfever of course ) to slowly but surely get a little bit of myself back into the frey!

Am I cured from my depression!! Hell NO ! .. there is no cure, all that happens is you deal with the underlying issues and get on with your life as best as you can.

Am I emotionally stable ?? Probably not! But thats as is... hey ho!

Does all of this make me any less of a person ??? Dinae be daft !!!

Just remember this simple little fact!!

YOU are UNIQUE !!! Just like everyone else out there !
    I just want to say it probably isn't very helpful saying you're not depressed. You aren't a doctor are you? And i think the docs diagnosis is better to go by. But i do agree there's no cure really. But you can get better. My monsters will always be there. But they no longer dominate my life, my emotions or my mind.

ReputationRep:
    If you liked being "depressed" then you wouldn't be here complaining about it.

Also, listen to Linkin Park.

ReputationRep:
    I think that people can enjoy depression, not in the sense of the mental illness itself, but the actual diagnosis.

With the diagnosis brings comfort in knowing that there are other people who feel similar to you, so there's the removal of some isolation involved. Also, having that diagnosis and receiving treatment such as CBT means you have someone to talk to, which is normally quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    The doctors told me I had depression. Part of me feels like it's all wrong and that I'm lying about all my symptoms. The other part of me accepts this diagnosis. The other, other part of me wants to hurl myself off a bridge.

I feel like an attention seeker for telling people. I told three people and it just feels so wrong that they know. What if they tell one person each? Then, 6 people would know. And if they told another one person each, then 9 people would know and so on... Y'know what? Maybe it's not depression at all. Maybe it's just self-piteous teenage hormones.

Anyway, my question is... supposing I did have depression, will it ever go away? And the more worrying question, why the heck do I like being sad? This is the main reason why I think I don't have depression. What kind of depressed person likes being depressed??

This question is probably one self contradiction after another. I don't even know what to think.

Thanks for reading.
    No, you are depressed. This is very common for a depressed teen to think they aren't or that they're attention seeking but in some way know that they really are. The truth is you don't like being depressed, you just haven't been happy in so long that it's scarier to think of how you might feel when you come out of it. You know how to live with depression now but you have no idea what's to come. I don't think it's a matter of you liking being depressed so much as it is apprehension at how you'll feel otherwise.
    Keep going to your doctor, keep taking any medication they prescribe, accept you have a problem and let the doctors help you take positive steps towards eradicating it.

ReputationRep:
    is it depression if you like depression because that way you only think of yourself

ReputationRep:
    I didn't..

I know I feel incredbly down atm, but I still have interludes of happiness. Depression for me was the complete absence of hope.

ReputationRep:
    I think I understand what you mean.

I haven't had depression or any treatment for depression, but I do get swings of mood whereby sometimes it feels as though nobody could like me, I have upset or disappointed or irritated everyone - including myself. Everything is dark and sometimes I cry about it, sometimes I make a plan to be "better"/more likeable etc, sometimes I just feel gloomy for a long time.

And on some kind of level I think I do like that feeling. I don't know. It's awful but maybe I like to think I have lots of problems or I'm a sad person or something. Maybe I just want to be a sympathetic character in my own life. Maybe that's better than being someone who's a bit awful, but not sad about it. At least if you're sad about being awful, there's something redeemable about you.

But you couldn't call it attention seeking because I don't let other people see or know about those feelings. I think sometimes I am attention seeking, but to myself somehow. I want people to know in a way sometimes, but I go to lengths to keep it a secret and I would hate it if they "found out".

So maybe I am quite similar to you, I think I do understand what you are saying. But I'm not actually depressed, or at least not depressed for very long at a time. I mean, I don't feel like that now, but I feel that I could bring on that mood if I wanted. Sometimes I think I do want to. Maybe it is a form of punishment if I think I have been a bad person!
    How does this effect your day-to-day life?

Sorry, maybe 'like' is the wrong word. I can see how this may have offended some people and led them to think that I was some 'emo kid'. I've had these feelings for about four years now and the only person I told up till recently was the internet. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I've lost the motivation to go to Uni. I feel like I'm going insane. It does feel like attention seeking self-pity. I just don't get it. How can I feel like I don't have depression, then feel like I have depression at the same time? It's so frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't the wrong word. How you feel is how you feel. and it does make sense to me anyway. I remember feeling very much like that.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you're saying. Some people are naturally sentimental, seek towards tragedy, like drama and do on purpose bring themselves down. Some more than others, but it exists within most people. At least self-pity does.

I don't know how you are supposed to draw the lines of what is called depression or not. I have experienced real depression, over a certain period of time. I cried from waking up till going to sleep. I cannot actually describe how it felt, it was a feeling of everything being so meaningless and I simply could not snap out of it. And I can assure you there was no part of that I enjoyed. I wanted it to get better, but saw no possibility of recovery (luckily I found it in the end, as I talked to someone).

I have a certain depressive side to me as well, I recognize it and sometimes loathe it. I can seek to tragic situations, and especially in matters of love, I have a tendency of always thinking the absolute worst, I react as if the absolute worst has already happened, what he would say, what I would say, and then I sit and cry. To an extent it is good to see what feelings you actually have (I lock my feelings up in front of people, I don't cry in front of others), but there is a difference between being in touch with your own emotions and being a slave to them. Sometimes I need to tel myself to get real. Or - bare with me - I masturbate. It clears the head and makes everything better. Especially when thinking about a hopeless guy, it may be emotions mixed with sexual desire, which then goes away

And PS - for a truly depressed person, after having lived that way for a long time, it is possible that you adjust to this situation as "as good or bad as anything can get" - and you find some enjoyment in the misery.

ReputationRep:
    I completely understand what you mean, at least I think I do anyway. I think I feel the same. It's a very inexplicable feeling, and no words will be able to do it justice.

Would I be right in saying that you might feel depressed, but at the same time you don't want to feel different?

Anyone saying you are a fool and that depression cannot be a feeling that is desirable, clearly just doesn't understand (but with good reason). It's not really a graspable concept.

Do you have the motivation to do things? Are you socially normal? do you ever feel like you know something other people don't?

For me, I have been de-culturised, I no longer let other influence me, or try not to. I don't follow social norms. I formulate my own opinions using my own logic and morals which I believe are hence more objective. This is why I like how I feel, because I kind of see this as a power. Being able to understand more easily etc.

But then the depression comes in because this means I am different, and am unable to act myself around people without them judging me, and yes certain people I do care if they judge me, like my parents. Without sounding like a stubborn prick, a lot of the time it feels like I am right and I know I am right, but people less open minded than myself (which is the majority of people) will not see it the way I do and essentially I am more often than not out numbered in moral beliefs, which hurts because there's nothing you can do even though you know you are right, and more often than not is because I can't accurately portray my views in words, which is quite distressing. And humans are very shallow and naturally stubborn, they are all hypocrites. I could write thousands of words on why this is the case, yet most people reading this won't be able come up with a reason why this is the case.

And what can I do with all my wisdom? Nothing really. There is no place for someone like me in this type of society.

Does this in anyway sound like you? lol

EDIT: after reading this, even now it doesn't portray my feelings as accurately as I would have liked.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoyment (Or liking something) brings happiness , depression brings sadness.

So theoretically no , it is not possible.

ReputationRep:
    Stop attention seeking...

I often feel exactly the same way you do, you don't see me crying to the doctor, deal with it.

Hell, I've broken down in tears for no reason, gone into insane rages, often get pissy at people for no reason, feel paranoid about friendship groups, and find it difficult to form lasting relationships.

I'm never going to lower myself to asking some stranger why I feel like I do, I deal with it, put on a smile and carry the **** on with my life. I'd hate to think I would ever need drugs to feel normal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.