Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to LIKE being depressed? watch

ReputationRep:
    I can see how someone might be used to being depressed, so much so that they might not have will to want to change their circumstances but i think people like that are few and far between and the majority do not enjoy their depression, and will do anything to make it stop.

Personally i hate the depression phase of my illness, but love the mania (though sadly its usually followed by a massive low)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry, maybe 'like' is the wrong word. I can see how this may have offended some people and led them to think that I was some 'emo kid'. I've had these feelings for about four years now and the only person I told up till recently was the internet. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I've lost the motivation to go to Uni. I feel like I'm going insane. It does feel like attention seeking self-pity. I just don't get it. How can I feel like I don't have depression, then feel like I have depression at the same time? It's so frustrating.
    I don't really know how people end up feeling like that either but I have similarly ambiguity towards my mental health, so you're certainly not alone on that front :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I don't really know how people end up feeling like that either but I have similarly ambiguity towards my mental health, so you're certainly not alone on that front :console:
    You're both not alone in feeling like this. :console:
    I sometimes end up in tears about my eating disorder, wondering whether I'm being a complete brat and just starving myself for attention. But the truth is that if that was the case I could eat, say... a biscuit, and feel no anxiety. But I can't, and that anxiety is something very real and isn't "fake". Sometimes feeling like it's just attention seeking is part of the illness itself: a way to blame yourself. But it's not something we choose to have.

Try to look after yourself. :hug:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by briesandwich)
    You're both not alone in feeling like this. :console:
    I sometimes end up in tears about my eating disorder, wondering whether I'm being a complete brat and just starving myself for attention. But the truth is that if that was the case I could eat, say... a biscuit, and feel no anxiety. But I can't, and that anxiety is something very real and isn't "fake". Sometimes feeling like it's just attention seeking is part of the illness itself: a way to blame yourself. But it's not something we choose to have.

Try to look after yourself. :hug:
    I think that bit in bold is very true. It's certainly what my psychologist keeps trying to tell me. She says it's not attention-seeking but help-seeking and that that's healthy, important and not weird

ReputationRep:
    The doctors told me I had depression. Part of me feels like it's all wrong and that I'm lying about all my symptoms. The other part of me accepts this diagnosis. The other, other part of me wants to hurl myself off a bridge.

I feel like an attention seeker for telling people. I told three people and it just feels so wrong that they know. What if they tell one person each? Then, 6 people would know. And if they told another one person each, then 9 people would know and so on... Y'know what? Maybe it's not depression at all. Maybe it's just self-piteous teenage hormones.

Anyway, my question is... supposing I did have depression, will it ever go away? And the more worrying question, why the heck do I like being sad? This is the main reason why I think I don't have depression. What kind of depressed person likes being depressed??

This question is probably one self contradiction after another. I don't even know what to think.

Thanks for reading.
    Then you fully deserved being depressed.

Please eat your cake now.

ReputationRep:
    DON'T LET THESE PEOPLE GET YOU DOWN..! I know exactly how you feel.. Wondering why you faked all your symptoms when really they're scarily real.. And feeling like you know depression better than you know normality and wanting to stay where you are.. I understand..!! Please don't take what the others have sad to heart, they have no idea how it feels. Stay strong <3
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The doctors told me I had depression. Part of me feels like it's all wrong and that I'm lying about all my symptoms. The other part of me accepts this diagnosis. The other, other part of me wants to hurl myself off a bridge.

I feel like an attention seeker for telling people. I told three people and it just feels so wrong that they know. What if they tell one person each? Then, 6 people would know. And if they told another one person each, then 9 people would know and so on... Y'know what? Maybe it's not depression at all. Maybe it's just self-piteous teenage hormones.

Anyway, my question is... supposing I did have depression, will it ever go away? And the more worrying question, why the heck do I like being sad? This is the main reason why I think I don't have depression. What kind of depressed person likes being depressed??

This question is probably one self contradiction after another. I don't even know what to think.

Thanks for reading.
    Hi, i've suffered from severe depression for about 6 years now, so I hope I can answer some of your questions.

It is possible that it's just hormones at this point, only time will tell. But in the meantime you can get some treatment for it to make it a bit easier for you. If it's a severe form then it could last a bit longer, like me, and you could get better with time and treatment,or you could need treatment for the rest of your life.

I like you, am sometimes glad that I have this disease. I don't know why. Maybe it just gives me an excuse to be self-destructive, but I do quite like being depressed sometimes. Maybe that is why you feel this way too?

Finally, please don't feel ashamed, everyone feels depressed at some point, there was a time when my whole school was gossiping about what i'd done behind my back, and to be honest, it felt much better when I knew people knew from my own mouth, not the mouth of others. It's much less of a taboo than it used to be.

Feel free to PM me if you wish, I won't bite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chai wallah)
    LOL your name!

I love it :heart:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2011
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.