Could I get in a Russell group uni if I did these A-Levels? watch

Announcements

Sorry for one of these threads again.
    Maths
    Biology
    Politics
    ICT
    Or are they to weak?
    But here is my problem. I'm doing ICT AS level and I' in year 11, so when J apply they will say "why did you only get a B?", and if I do it next year I could improve.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Depends on the subject though.

Also I don't know what the obsession with 'Russel group' is.

ReputationRep:
    http://russellgroup.ac.uk/uploads/In...es-final_2.pdf

Read.

(Original post by ily_em)
    Yes.

Depends on the subject though.

Also I don't know what the obsession with 'Russel group' is.
    What subjects could I get in for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    What subjects could I get in for?
    Do you want to do a degree that suits you, or just any degree at a Russel Group university? If it's the latter, you should seriously reconsider how much a degree will benefit you.

(Original post by und)
    Do you want to do a degree that suits you, or just any degree at a Russel Group university? If it's the latter, you should seriously reconsider how much a degree will benefit you.
    I'd like to do either a Biology, Computer Science or Politics degree.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do ICT. If you have the option, Computing is a lot better. A different A Level to either would be fine, but ICT is considered soft by top unis.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do either a Biology, Computer Science or Politics degree.
    In that case, I can't seem much wrong with your A levels. I guess the fact that all of those degree choices are so different makes it difficult for you.

For a Biology degree, Chemistry might be a good option; for Computer Science, Further Maths and/or Physics; for Politics, English Lit/History.

None of them are required though. Just look up the courses you're interested in on university websites, and choose what you think will benefit you the most. Perhaps most important is how much you will enjoy each A level, and I can't help you with that.

ReputationRep:
    Biiig difference between doing A levels and doing well in them...

(Original post by tooosh)
    Don't do ICT. If you have the option, Computing is a lot better. A different A Level to either would be fine, but ICT is considered soft by top unis.
    But I did AS level ICT in year 11 and got a B, now I'm older I could probably improve that. And a B wouldn't look that good.

ReputationRep:
    But I did AS level ICT in year 11 and got a B, now I'm older I could probably improve that. And a B wouldn't look that good.
    A B would be fine especially considering it was done in Year 11 but don't bother doing it to A2. It will only hinder you when it comes to applying for the top unis. Even CS admissions officers don't like the reasoning that Computing wasn't available so ICT was taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    I hate it when people say this! ICT is not a soft subject, its bloody hard to get a good mark!
    I managed to get into a Russell Group University for a really competitive course with ICT A-Level!

ReputationRep:

rip tehforum

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    rip tehforum
    I thought I dragged you into your grave?!

RIP Extricated (again).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetconwy1)
    I hate it when people say this! ICT is not a soft subject, its bloody hard to get a good mark!
    I managed to get into a Russell Group University for a really competitive course with ICT A-Level!
    ICT didn't help your application though. Unfortunately it's not how we consider it that matters, it's how unis consider it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and what makes it hard is the terrible course which is so vague. Also the exams rest solely on the final question which is like a 1/3 of the overall mark. This is for AQA though who are a crap exam board. :'(

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for one of these threads again.
    Maths
    Biology
    Politics
    ICT
    Or are they to weak?
    Thanks.
    Maths, Biology and Politics are fine, they definitley dont a non-traditional subject like ICT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackWoot)
    Yeah and what makes it hard is the terrible course which is so vague. Also the exams rest solely on the final question which is like a 1/3 of the overall mark. This is for AQA though who are a crap exam board. :'(
    Hmmm I think its slightly different for us, we do WJEC ICT and its actually quite a good course, but the marking is so strict its stupidly annoying.

If your answer is not practically word for word whats on the Mark Scheme then you get 0 marks. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I think its slightly different for us, we do WJEC ICT and its actually quite a good course, but the marking is so strict its stupidly annoying.

If your answer is not practically word for word whats on the Mark Scheme then you get 0 marks. :mad:
    Sounds like AQA Triple Science GCSE. They really are crazy, although most of their questions can be answered with a bit of common sense.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.