Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Maths, Biology and Politics are fine, they definitley dont a non-traditional subject like ICT
    That's utter crap... I'm going to a Russel Group University to study ICT, they prefer to see you have ICT in order to do that.

Oh... and it seems the majority of people on this thread believe that ICT is an easy A-Level, you OBVIOUSLY havn't done it for A-Level because you're severely mistaken; it ruins your life trying to get a high mark with such a vague mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    You can get into a Russell by meeting the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much any combination of A levels can get you into a russell group uni. Just limits what courses you can take.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you could, I do
    Politics
    History
    ICT
    Business Studies

And I got an offer from Warwick to do Politics so do well in yours and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Art, English Literature and Language and Media and I've got a place at a Russel group uni. My tutor said my personal statement was very strong, so it's not ALWAYS about grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irishmonkey1992)
    That's utter crap... I'm going to a Russel Group University to study ICT, they prefer to see you have ICT in order to do that.

Oh... and it seems the majority of people on this thread believe that ICT is an easy A-Level, you OBVIOUSLY havn't done it for A-Level because you're severely mistaken; it ruins your life trying to get a high mark with such a vague mark scheme.
    ICT is pointless for the OP to continue with, it takes up a huge amount of your time and is not the easiest A level.

However taking ICT doesn't really help his application much, the qualification is too vocational and from what I've heard from my friends who did it, it is a massive waste of time as it doesn't really teach you anything which you couldm't of learned by yourself or from an IT course.

@ OP you need to decide what degree you want to do soon, then pick your A levels to suit your degree.

The degree choices you have chosen couldn't be more far apart in terms of the A levels required so I would have a good think about what you really want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    I'd like to do either a Biology, Computer Science or Politics degree.
    You're completely over complicating the process of applying to university.
    Chance are, if you have good grades in good subjects they will accept you.
    If you get B/A/A*, and at least one relevant your laughing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Yes.

Depends on the subject though.

Also I don't know what the obsession with 'Russel group' is.
    It's called reputation, something that is important when you go to get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil1541)
    ICT is pointless for the OP to continue with, it takes up a huge amount of your time and is not the easiest A level.

However taking ICT doesn't really help his application much, the qualification is too vocational and from what I've heard from my friends who did it, it is a massive waste of time as it doesn't really teach you anything which you couldm't of learned by yourself or from an IT course.

@ OP you need to decide what degree you want to do soon, then pick your A levels to suit your degree.

The degree choices you have chosen couldn't be more far apart in terms of the A levels required so I would have a good think about what you really want to do.
    I got an offer from Computer Science at a Russel Group University, ICT assisted me in the process. Oh, I thought I saw him saying that he would like to do Computer Science? No?

Also, my personal statement was pretty amazing, so much so that my careers teacher is keeping it as a model PS to help future UCAS applicants with theirs. I'm very proud of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Sorry for one of these threads again.
    Maths
    Biology
    Politics
    ICT
    Or are they to weak?
    But here is my problem. I'm doing ICT AS level and I' in year 11, so when J apply they will say "why did you only get a B?", and if I do it next year I could improve.
    In a a word yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Having previously worked in an industry that has a high intake of graduate-level recruits every year can I just point out that 'where you did your degree' is far from the be all and end all now days.

The 'reputation' thing is mainly a hang over from the old boys network but business is about making money and many within the sector I worked in finally came to the conclusion that recruiting folk who share an alumnus may not always provide the best people for generating the income that shareholders crave so much.

This is becoming especially true in multinationals, where a board of directors drawn from a wide variety of backgrounds care little about the fact a graduate may have once drunk in the same SU as the recruiter.

So yes, having a degree from a Russel Group university may be important if you go to certain jobs but it is increasingly less so.

Having an Oxbridge degree on the other hand still opens many doors and whilst they may be Russel Group members themselves all things within that particular lobby group are not equal.

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from Computer Science at a Russel Group University, ICT assisted me in the process. Oh, I thought I saw him saying that he would like to do Computer Science? No?

Also, my personal statement was pretty amazing, so much so that my careers teacher is keeping it as a model PS to help future UCAS applicants with theirs. I'm very proud of it
    ICT is a pointless A level, and the uni you applied for must of not be good uni ( just cause its in the russell group doesn't mean its good) Any uni that accepts someone to do computer science with out Maths or Computing isn't good. And tbh most people who are doing Computer Science would agree, its more about Maths than anything else which btw you don't do in ICT

How can you justify that ICT is hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    ICT is a pointless A level, and the uni you applied for must of not be good uni ( just cause its in the russell group doesn't mean its good) Any uni that accepts someone to do computer science with out Maths or Computing isn't good. And tbh most people who are doing Computer Science would agree, its more about Maths than anything else which btw you don't do in ICT

How can you justify that ICT is hard?
    Firstly, ignorance isn't going to get you any where in life. It's Queen's University in Belfast, which is a brilliant university. On the opening days that I've attended, I spoke to graduates of Computer Science and a number said they didn't do Maths at A-Level (nor 'Computing' what you view as a necessity). They got 1st's and 2.1's so... yeah what's the point in doing a different A-Level when it isn't required at all?

How can I justify that ICT is hard? Read my last few posts on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Yeh I know, it's just that there are universities which are not in the Russel group which have as good or better reputations than some of the universities that are in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilllybeans)
    I doubt it. I mean, what actually are you going to do with those a-levels. Absolutely nothing. Russell group universities are looking for mature students that have selected suitable A-levels. ICT isn't even recognised by Russell group universities because anyone can learn those basic skills in later life. I suggest you quit trying now, you are only going to be disappointed.
    I took Law at A-level - explain that?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, ignorance isn't going to get you any where in life. It's Queen's University in Belfast, which is a brilliant university. On the opening days that I've attended, I spoke to graduates of Computer Science and a number said they didn't do Maths at A-Level (nor 'Computing' what you view as a necessity). They got 1st's and 2.1's so... yeah what's the point in doing a different A-Level when it isn't required at all?

How can I justify that ICT is hard? Read my last few posts on this thread.
    Okay its understandable your going to Queen's University in Belfast which isn't known for Computer Science, with it being in Northern Ireland so you can't really compared to other Computer Science Departments that require maths

basically you took the easy way?

Ignorance? fair play to you taking the easy option, but please don't make out you have gone to the top uni for computer Science which you have been implying..

that ain't justifying it, thats saying you find it hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James1977)
    Having previously worked in an industry that has a high intake of graduate-level recruits every year can I just point out that 'where you did your degree' is far from the be all and end all now days.

The 'reputation' thing is mainly a hang over from the old boys network but business is about making money and many within the sector I worked in finally came to the conclusion that recruiting folk who share an alumnus may not always provide the best people for generating the income that shareholders crave so much.

This is becoming especially true in multinationals, where a board of directors drawn from a wide variety of backgrounds care little about the fact a graduate may have once drunk in the same SU as the recruiter.

So yes, having a degree from a Russel Group university may be important if you go to certain jobs but it is increasingly less so.

Having an Oxbridge degree on the other hand still opens many doors and whilst they may be Russel Group members themselves all things within that particular lobby group are not equal.
    Depends about what industry we are talking about. A professional indsutry tied up with sciences etc will take your university choice very seriously as it certainly is an indicator as to the quality of your teaching. Something like recruitment consultancies won't give a damn as it doesn't really matter as the job is not tied up to your degree.
    I'd say it is certainly still important but depends on what you want to do with your degree. If it's generic office work etc it's not too important, but if it is something based around your degree, it is extremely important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Yeh I know, it's just that there are universities which are not in the Russel group which have as good or better reputations than some of the universities that are in it.
    But it's debatable if those universities are any good as there are a lot of redundant criteria e.g. how many foreign students etc.
    Russel Group shows the university has a high calibre of staff due to funding. Hopefully they will pass their skills to their students.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what degree you want to do, but absolutely! The general rule is any more than two 'soft' subjects (e.g. media studies, drama, maybe ICT) and you won't generally be considered. But what you have is fine, I really wouldn't worry. I have 3 different russell group offers and am doing drama as one of my A levels

ReputationRep:

I'm glad it worked for you but it sounds like your personal statement got you the offer more than the A level in ICT.

I understand A level ICT is hard, I got a C in GCSE ICT, but its not that the content that hard; its just the exam boards/coursework/marking is generally abysmall so I encourage everyone to stay clear of ICT as its just not worth the hassle)

Its also not really seen as strong a subjects such as Maths and Further maths which would aid you a lot more when aiming for the top uni's like Imperial/oxbridge etc...

In order to get into the top computer science uni's the OP should really take Maths and Further maths.

Computing I'm not sure about, my school doesn't offer it and I can't imagine many state schools do as it seems quite a niche subject so I don't think its mandatory to take it to get into a good university.

My friend got into oxford for joint honours maths + computer science with Maths, Further Maths and Physics, but his grades were insanely good.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.