Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could I get in a Russell group uni if I did these A-Levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    "Making it out to be " is merely you interpreting what I am saying completely incorrectly. Nice. One. Brah.
    i cba to argue with you anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    You told the OP that they had "no chance" because of their taking ICT at A-level. I'm pointing out that one weaker subject does not mean an applicant will see five rejections - I studied Law and received an offer for PPE at Oxford, for example.
    Well that is absolutely fantastic for you but law is not as weak as ICT. I presume you didn't get the grades to get in as you said you got an "offer".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Look at the list - over 50% of 2000 companies focus on RG universities. How does that show I'm incorrect?
    I've had a look at that list and it is not a particularly large majority, is it? It is also liable to change slightly on an annual basis. Southampton and Cardiff can easily drop a few places outside the top 20 and be replaced by non-RG universities (whether from the 1994 Group or not). Look at the number of new entries.

The reasoning for targeting the universities is utterly arbitrary. What we know is that out of the top 20 universities targeted, over 50% are RG universities.
    Erm....it's not arbitary, actually. As mentioned, they target these universities partly due to their size (getting your "brand" across to as many people as possible) and academic quality. There is logic behind it.

But it does not prove that a person attending a non-RG university on that list wil be at a disadvantage compared to a RG universitiy featured on the list (Manchester, for example).

As I have always stated, this then makes it statistically logical to then focus on going to a RG university.
    Not necessarily, particularly if someone wants to become a barrister at a top chamber for going to certain non-RG universities. Going to Durham will not be a disadvantage...

If you're going to make a broad generalisation like this, then at least say best go to a Russell of 1994 Group university. Even, despite my dislike of league tables (and that employers rarely use them) go to a "top 40" university.

It is a fact - if you go to a RG university, you are more likely to be targeted by graduate employers. Surely it then makes sense to conclude that if you are being targeted by employers, your chance of employment is higher?
    Please keep your answer concise if you reply.
    My replies are fairly concise. Just detailed. There's a difference. When discussing a complex issue it is not easy to summarise in two sentences.

Anyway, perhaps although this is still misleading for a number of reasons (which I won't go into right now as this will never end) but it isn't what you were saying at the beginning. You said, or strongly suggested, that RG universities are preferred and that employers know the members of the RG universities are. That the majority of the top 20 universities are RG members. This has all proved to be false.

By the way, when I mentioned the Civil Service before, is that what you meant by your "pen pushing" or whatever it was. That it isn't graduate employment? If you do think that then, sorry, but your ignorance just continues.

Here are some stats from the Civil Service fast stream breaking successful applicants down according to university name. Universities with a success rate of 4% or over (the first five are over 5%).

Royal Academy of Music (100% - though only one applicant)
    Dundee
    Cambridge - RG
    LSE - RG
    Oxford - RG
    Bangor
    Bath- 1994 Group
    University of Central Lancashire (former polytechnic!!!!!)

Durham, UCL, Teesside, SOAS and Edinburgh are in the 3 - 4% range. Durham and SOAS are in the 1994 Group, Teesside another former polytechnic.

Durham and UCL are highly targeted but it would appear that, despite this, UCLan, Teesside and Bangor graduates are as successful in this particular year :holmes:

Also notice that some RG graduates have a relatively low acceptance rate (Newcastle and Sheffield, for example, two universities typically featured n "top 20 most targeted" lists).

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/site...tream-2010.pdf

This is only one area, admittedly. If we were to look at another career sector it will be different.

A-level filters are not in place in Civil Service applications, they also don't focus on past work experience, instead they select (in theory) select purely on merit and performance on application tests. This is why students from former polytechincs can often be relatively well represented. It is possible that a certain number of these graduates can impress sufficientlynd are as able to RG and 94 Group gradutes. Entry to the CS Fast Stream is still well known for being extremely competitive. You only need to look at the stats to see this.

This isn't the case at IB firms. Even if they weren't to favour by university name alone they will do so indirectly through the use of A-level filters. People are the former polytechnics are less likely to have the 320 (or so) UCAS points required.

Two different career sectors.

In "short": -

Yes, if you are are of a sufficient academic quality it is reasonable to aspire to Russell Group universities. These universities are broadly comparable in terms of offering a quality undergraduate education. They are also well represented in industry for a number of reasons (quality of graduates and, being the largest universities, the number of graduates).

However at the end of the day it is only a lobbying group. These universities are not targeted by employers because they are in the Russell Group. Employers typically don't know the members of the RG and will probabl expect a number of 1994 Group universities to be in the RG (Durham, York...). Going to a RG university will not necessarily give an advantage.

As a result it is a bit misleading to suggest going to a RG university will give better career prospects than going to a non-RG university. Particularly the high quality and well targeted universities in the 1994 Group.
    You probably think that's waffle but, I don't care. It's still difficult to generalise in an Internet post but I feel this is less misleading that your posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    But here is my problem. I'm doing ICT AS level and I' in year 11, so when J apply they will say "why did you only get a B?", and if I do it next year I could improve.
    They can see all your unit results and will probably see the date that you did them and will be able to work out that you did it in year 11 and would probably be quite impressed seeing as many people struggle to get a B in year 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    snip
    tl;dr
    End of the day, the majority of the universities people targetted are RG. If you think that that somehow means it makes sense not to go to a RG university, I wonder if that is because you simply didn't go to one, and your replies are hardly concise - the make me question if you have aspergers or not.

ReputationRep:
    http://russellgroup.org/Informed%20Choices%20final.pdf
    Look at this...I had a nosey at it and it does talk about classes of subjects. It's written by the Russell group unis themselves.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.