Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and I've spent the last 4 years travelling and working around Europe. I didn't get the grades I wanted when I finished my A levels so I never went to uni. I want to go now but I feel like its too late to do a course that isn't vocational or for a specific career based reason. I took the UCAS Stamford test and it suggested I look at history/international relations/ engilsh literature courses. Is it too late for me to do a uni course and have that much debt when there isn't a specific career role at the end of it and I could just get a boring paid job? (parents want me to get a job and leave home!)
    Any advice or opinions from anyone whose been through something similar would be great!

ReputationRep:
    DO IT!

ReputationRep:
    As I have said to others, your never to old to study! I'm going to be 27 in may and i'm starting again in september nervous but excited

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing hope not!

Ed: Wow, negged for hoping that people at uni aren't ageist? What a truely fantastic world we live in.. die pls

Ed: Wow, negged again! Some ***** have serious personality disorders up in here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClareConfusdCornes)
    I'm 22 and I've spent the last 4 years travelling and working around Europe. I didn't get the grades I wanted when I finished my A levels so I never went to uni. I want to go now but I feel like its too late to do a course that isn't vocational or for a specific career based reason. I took the UCAS Stamford test and it suggested I look at history/international relations/ engilsh literature courses. Is it too late for me to do a uni course and have that much debt when there isn't a specific career role at the end of it and I could just get a boring paid job? (parents want me to get a job and leave home!)
    Any advice or opinions from anyone whose been through something similar would be great!
    People go to university way later on than you. I plan on doing a PHD, so when I leave university I'll be 25-27 years old. You'll be 25-26 so no, it's not too late.

ReputationRep:
    you are definitely not too old, don't worry

Nah, I started at 20 and another guy in my flat in halls, and a girl in the flat below, were both 21. It doesn't make a difference really, you can impart wisdom on the youngsters. And you can drink them under the table. At least you should be able to, if you can't you should be ****ing ashamed. Haaa.

ReputationRep:
    You're never too old to start Uni!. You'll meet people of all ages I started at 21 and blended in just fine..
    And whatever you do, don't get a boring paid job! take the chance while you can now and go to Uni and have fun, you have the rest of your life to work..

ReputationRep:

Why would you be too old? Someone on my course is 62! Go for it I'm 22 and only in my 2nd year and plan to do 2 years postgraduate study too!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, never too old. If your parents want you to leave home, move into halls/student houses for the time being (a house might be better due to yearly contracts, rather than, say, a 36 or so week halls one). Try and find a part time job, maybe on campus, while you're at it, to help moneywise.

ReputationRep:
    Do it! No point regretting it when you're older is it? 22 isn't really that old either to be fair, atleast you've not spent the last few years sitting around

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not too old at all. Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I started uni at 22. I'm now in my 2nd year, it was the best decision I ever made. Definitely do it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be 31 when I start my English and History course in september... I can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    I started at 23 and tbh no one really noticed or cared that I was any older anyways. As long as you go with an open mind to the 18-19 year olds you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    good luck too you ^^
    there is no limit age for studying...

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not too old. There's a man in his 40s in my year on my course

ReputationRep:
    22 too old!? Definitely not!
    a) I'm 30 and I'm starting my course in October!
    b) When I went to uni straight after school, some friends of mine knew a guy... I can't remember his name, but he was very well known across the Uni. I met him once. He was then (late 90's) in his mid-to-late _80s_, and had amassed many many many degrees in the __decades__ he'd been at uni. He was independently wealthy, so he stayed at uni just to learn new and interesting things. Now if someone can study into their late 80's and beyond being successful in his studies, then surely someone in their early 20s can manage! Last I heard (~2004), he was still at the uni! The only thing to always remember is to get into and keep the mindset of studying more than you're partying, and things generally should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Im 24 and going to Uni in September, my Uni has 30% 'mature' students so its not abnormal or anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Im 24 and going to Uni in September, my Uni has 30% 'mature' students so its not abnormal or anything at all.
    Where are you going to study, i'm off to Manchester and they have quite a high mature student % also what you going to study?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.