Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Of course you are not too old. I've known many people in their 30s go, and as for the Open University even older.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has a 70 year old in one of her lectures.
    You're never too old!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipless)
    That is so cool, good luck to you both where and what are you going to study?
    I'm going to Manchester to study Criminology

ReputationRep:
    You must be joking - you're only 22. Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    I'm going to Manchester to study Criminology
    Oh yeah, think i have seen you in the manchester threads! I'm off to good old Manchester too, going to be studying Geology and Planetry Science! What did you think of the place? I loved it!

ReputationRep:
    What ? You're only 22.

My sister started her second degree around then.

You want to feel better about yourself ? Go to a graduate medicine lecture. It's not uncommon to find 40+ people in there. My sister was one of the youngest in her year at 21 and the oldest was 46.

ReputationRep:
    I'm twenty five and starting in September. Well if I'm too old, nobody's told me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipless)
    Oh yeah, think i have seen you in the manchester threads! I'm off to good old Manchester too, going to be studying Geology and Planetry Science! What did you think of the place? I loved it!
    I rape the Manchester forum!
    I think Manchester's great. I'm super excited

ReputationRep:
    As everyone else has said, no you're not to old at all, there is no such thing as 'too old for Uni' and even if there was, 22 would not be it Plus I think it would really help you out on the parents front too, as you can move to wherever takes your fancy and live in halls.
    So get thee gone and enjoy your studies

ReputationRep:
    22 isn't old by any stretch of the imagination.
    I think you should choose the course carefully, and really try to link it to a career idea if you can (because then all that debt will be for a good reason), but of course you can study at 22.

ReputationRep:
    35 when I go. Can't wait. New career. New friends. New city. NEW LIFE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClareConfusdCornes)
    I'm 22 and I've spent the last 4 years travelling and working around Europe. I didn't get the grades I wanted when I finished my A levels so I never went to uni. I want to go now but I feel like its too late to do a course that isn't vocational or for a specific career based reason. I took the UCAS Stamford test and it suggested I look at history/international relations/ engilsh literature courses. Is it too late for me to do a uni course and have that much debt when there isn't a specific career role at the end of it and I could just get a boring paid job? (parents want me to get a job and leave home!)
    Any advice or opinions from anyone whose been through something similar would be great!
    Firstly, 22 - not old!

Universities recognise that people mature. People develop at different rates. There are some courses and some universities that pretty much demand a consistent rate of academic consistency, so they want good grades from GCSEs onwards, but they're not all bad.

Those years you spent travelling will be a good thing to mention in a PS, because hey, you've spent four years abroad, that shows maturity.

If you're pushed for time (i.e. parents want you to move out) start an access course in September, you'll be applying to universities this coming November.

It's a one year course that you can use to apply to HE institutions with. A lot of people doing them apply to a local ex-poly (Northumbria, Sunderland or Teeside here) though I know of people who have gone to Durham and Newcastle with them. There's even a lad on here who's going to Cambridge with one (though I'm sure he has some excellent life/relevant job experience!)

You'd be classed as a mature student (21 at the start of the academic year) but that means nothing. You're only 22!

Access courses are usually run at local FE colleges. There are a few different types of access course, though it will depend on the size of the college you apply to. If you want to do something like EngLit, History or IR, tell the college you apply to and they'll probably recommend you take the humanities access course.

It's worth a shot

tl;dr - access course at your local college, you'll be applying to unis in November, you'll more than likely get offers, you'll be off to uni by September 2012, sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
    What ? You're only 22.

My sister started her second degree around then.

You want to feel better about yourself ? Go to a graduate medicine lecture. It's not uncommon to find 40+ people in there. My sister was one of the youngest in her year at 21 and the oldest was 46.
    This!

A friend of mine did Biology at Teeside and he had an 80-odd year old in his classes

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not! I live in Halls with a 37 year old kiwi who's doing Law. I also work a lot with a 21 year old, and theres some mature students from Canada too. 22 is definitely not too old!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be turning 22 a couple of weeks after I start. My sister went when she was 21/22ish and my mum went in her late 40s so age really doesn't matter

ReputationRep:
    my course is mostly people older than say 25!
    theres only a handfull of us that are younger!

and only 5 of us in halls!

go for it!
    theres loads of people older than you at uni! and 22 isnt even classed as mature i dont think. i have a feeling to be mature you have to be 25!

in may halls theres 1 22 year old and the a 24 year old or something! both first years!

ReputationRep:
    A friend of my parents is in her early 40's, she always wanted to go to University but sadly her child has brain damage as a result of an accident at birth.

She applied to Uni last year and started as a fresher this year with people of all ages! Go for it, "you're never too old "

ReputationRep:
    No you're not, people won't even know the difference. I have 25-year-old colleagues and I was genuinely surprised when they told me their age.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of mature students in universities!
    One of my house-mates is 22 and she's still doing the Foundation course.

And to be honest, 22 is not even that old. You should give it a try if you're really keen! And students won't even know your age unless they ask or you tell them. It's usually not an issue people get into.

ReputationRep:
    why not? im 22 and gonna start uni

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.