Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to university this year however, because of a tricky situation, am not able to go now so will be re-applying for next year. Upon entering I will be a month or so off 27. Of course my age worries me - plus I'm looking at another year of time to fill, which I am unsure currently of how to do so - but university is there to better our education. 22 is definitely not too old, returning to education as a mature student shows commitment. I understand you worrying about the job prospects, this too is always at the back of my mind, but that's something we all have to deal with. Hey, you've spent 4 years in Europe which is great to have on your PS!

I say go for it!

ReputationRep:
    22 isnt even classed as proper mature I think, for student finance anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Yes it probably does seem quite ununsual, I wont be earning the relevent recognition to continue straight on into typical psychology routes, and certainly not as a psychologist, Im from a sales and marketing background, and will be looking at going into high-level marketing.

The psychology part of my degree is to compliment the marketing rather, which probably sounds quite inverse within the University world but looking at it the other way around this will make me far more employable as a graduate going into the advertising/marketing world than a single honours in marketing.

Lot of research done on this anyway - plus I love psychology! Am currently bright red sat inside having stupidly spent 5 hours sat in sun reading Gross... Sunburn hurts!
    good luck with it all AidyD wish u the best with it,

ReputationRep:
    I'm 25 and start my first year in october. I do an access course and there are people aged 19-45ish on my course so there's going to be a good spread of ages going into uni just from there, I know many access courses are the same. My mum's friend started uni aged 40, it's never too late!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness, it seems no one has really addressed the OP's real question, which was whether it was a wise move to invest time and money in studying a non-vocational degree at this stage of the game. She wasn't just asking whether 22 was too old to go back to school.

I am going through the same dilemma, and I'm 25. The thing I can say is that you are going to be 26, 27 or 28 anyway. Do you see yourself wanting to study anything other than this subject? If you have one big interest over everything else then you should certainly jump for that.

ReputationRep:
    To me a mature student is 50+ although I'm in my 40s so I'm biased. I don't really understand people's concern with their age. Nobody worth knowing will be, and universities positively welcome diverse ages, not least because they appreciate the wealth of experience that older students bring to the academic world.

What I think you'll find is that your experience prior to staring university will help you in many ways. It will have you appreciate that university is a bit of an artificial environment. It will help you appreciate that nobody is really entitled to anything unless they work for it. It will help you see how you fit into the workplace as a graduate, realising that it does not entitle anyone to promotion or compensation for the years and cash you've stumped up to get there.

I went to university at 18, then back about 22 after working for a short time, and enjoyed it way more the second time. I'm now back at 40 but distance learning so no student lifestyle, just work urgh!

What's most likely to act for or against you is not so much your age, as confidence and personality. Academically your mind is fresh and young, you really won't have any issues. One thing though, it's important to build a rapport with your lecturers as well as other students. If your study area is subjective, then getting on the right side of those who hold the marking pen will do you no end of benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not too old. My old drama teacher has just gone back to uni and she was about 50!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    Not at all. My mum's 47 this summer and is starting a degree in Social Policy 2011 entry
    Education has no age limits. We humans are always learning..

ReputationRep:
    I went back to uni at 46, it has been the best decision I ever made, my marks are up there with the best of them and I have never felt awkward or anything. As long as you are ready to put in the hard work involved you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and starting uni again this September after withdrawing from my original course half way through. I don't think I'll feel too old and It's actually been fun and refreshing being around young and naive 18 year olds on the open days I've been to. I'm really looking forward to it!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.