Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    There's a LOT of clubbing at Warwick!

There's the Student Union (Copper rooms) they have different themed nights on pretty much all week. The big student nights are Monday and Wednesday and on the weekends people will go out to the city for their nights out. Copper rooms also hosts gigs (We've had Mark Ronson, Tinchy Stryder, Pendulum, Plan B and Feeder recently)

Some of the really popular clubs include Smack in Leam, Kasbah, Koko's, there's tons of bars and pubs about too!

Some people (including myself if I'm totally honest) don't like clubbing that much but that's what Societies are for! You can go out and have a good night out whatever your interests are. If you're into Salsa then you can join the Salsa society and they will practice their dancing once or twice a week and a few times a term they'll all go out together as a group.
    That sounds good! I know some students mentioned 'banana monday' or something along those lines as a night out haha.

Also, if I moved out in the second years, how easy is it to get a place living in Leamington Spa and how long and costy is the journey back into Warwick campus for the lectures? I've always assumed I'd go to Durham so I've ignored problems like food and travel costs, but now I'm starting to worry a bit. D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Can't comment on the department because I know nothing about it, but Durham definitely does have plenty of societies.

Just have a look here: http://www.dsu.org.uk/minisites/?cat_id=1505
    The language department runs a languages for all scheme where you can pay to have lessons in a language outside your course. There's currently a salsa class run in Aidan's on a Tuesday evening which was really good when I went. The uni doesn't provide music lessons, though if you wanted to learn something the music department does provide a list of teachers, and there are plenty of societies involving music from non-auditioning to a very high level. I'm not sure what you mean by random classes, but a lot of departments put on seminars that anyone's welcome to go to.
    Ahh I didn't know that. I think the main problem with the Durham open evening was that I wasn't given any information about the uni in general at all, just the college I was a part of. I didn't get to see the student union or anything like that.
    Just by random classes I meant the really silly ones, at the Warwick open day we walked past a field where the 'frisby society' were practicing, LOL. Durham just never mentioned any socities at all! Thanks for the link!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choly7)
    That sounds good! I know some students mentioned 'banana monday' or something along those lines as a night out haha.

Also, if I moved out in the second years, how easy is it to get a place living in Leamington Spa and how long and costy is the journey back into Warwick campus for the lectures? I've always assumed I'd go to Durham so I've ignored problems like food and travel costs, but now I'm starting to worry a bit. D:
    Ah Top Banana, the Monday club night at the Student's union. They have a giant monkey that runs around and banana-flavoured foam. The first and Last Top-B of term is always packed full, and will most certainly be one of your first big nights out at Freshers' Week.

It's very easy to get a place in Leamington, it's very popular so housing is in constant demand. Everyone I know who wanted to live in Leam got a house in Leam.

The big downside is the bus journey is about half an hour into campus, (it can take anything from 25-40 minutes depending on the time of day and route). I think (it's been a while!) a bus ticket is £2.20, but people who live there get a bus pass for about £275 and that sorts them out for the entire year.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I didn't know that. I think the main problem with the Durham open evening was that I wasn't given any information about the uni in general at all, just the college I was a part of. I didn't get to see the student union or anything like that.
    Just by random classes I meant the really silly ones, at the Warwick open day we walked past a field where the 'frisby society' were practicing, LOL. Durham just never mentioned any socities at all! Thanks for the link!
    ah, okay. You're welcome. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions :yy:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The problem is that Warwick is asking for BBB, along with Newcastle and Leeds, and it's only Sheffield Hallam that's wanting anything less than BBB. If I get BBC then I'll be totally stuck if I don't put SHU as my insurance, because I know I won't want to reapply next year. I'm not sure really what to do?
    Would it be easier for me to put Durham as an insurance then?
    Well, noone can tell you which unit o put as insurance. It is totally your choice. It's jsut what myf riend did with hers because it is easier to get ABB (A in General Studies) than BBB (excludes General Studies).... Especially when you find General Studies easy and are sure that you can get that A.

:dontknow: ... It's completely your choice to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick = 'Oh dear I'm stuck in Coventry for three years'.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's another thing too! I really liked the idea of going abroad to study and as far as I gathered Durham didn't offer that.

The college that I'm going to in Durham doesn't have formals or balls (which I would have loved ! ) they do fancy-dress or informal things instead, which I can't decide if I like more or not haha.

Not much was mentioned about night life at the Warwick open evening, and some of the open evening people said they didn't rate it much? I'm a clubbing sort of person so will I enjoy myself there? Is it easy to get to Birmingham?

Eee dear!
    I'm actually in the exact same position as you! Well except my offers are AAB at both I went to the open day yesterday (stayed over tuesday night) and found that I LOVED the place but the course at Warwick sounds much better. Where you asked about studying abroad though, you do have the opportunity to do that at Durham

Let me know when you decide, it might help me with my decision haha xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petal1991)
    wow you definitely got lucky choosing st johns and being put in hildebede! st johns is pretty much regarded as the most unfun, serious and religious college and i think hildebede definitely seems like the best college, its the biggest and seems really good (coming from someone who is in van mildert college!)
    Actually, I got put into St. John's and I LOVED it when I stayed there overnight at the open day It isn't unfun, serious or particularly religious at all - they took us out that night, with paint on our faces, made us feel like a big family I was worried at first because I'd asked for a very different college but I found that it was great, everyone was so friendly and fun

Oh and I asked the guy showing me around about the banter between colleges, and he said that all of the colleges dislike Hildebede - his words not mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.B!)
    Actually, I got put into St. John's and I LOVED it when I stayed there overnight at the open day It isn't unfun, serious or particularly religious at all - they took us out that night, with paint on our faces, made us feel like a big family I was worried at first because I'd asked for a very different college but I found that it was great, everyone was so friendly and fun

Oh and I asked the guy showing me around about the banter between colleges, and he said that all of the colleges dislike Hildebede - his words not mine
    i think you have hildebede mistaken for hatfield, thats the one everyone hates! no one has anything against hildebede.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petal1991)
    i think you have hildebede mistaken for hatfield, thats the one everyone hates! no one has anything against hildebede.
    Oooh I think you're right haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.B!)
    I'm actually in the exact same position as you! Well except my offers are AAB at both I went to the open day yesterday (stayed over tuesday night) and found that I LOVED the place but the course at Warwick sounds much better. Where you asked about studying abroad though, you do have the opportunity to do that at Durham

Let me know when you decide, it might help me with my decision haha xx
    hey there! I chose Warwick in the end, and I love it! I really liked Durham but I wasn't in the accommodation that I wanted to be in, and the idea of walking 25 mins to a lecture didn't sound to great to me. Durham's a really pretty city, but that's all that was really pushing me towards it. I would probably have gone if I wasn't in St. Aidens maybe? Anyway, Warwick is lovely. If you ever want advice or info about it, feel free to message me x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.