Turn on thread page Beta

What happens when you do this with your leg? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What happens if when you're sitting/lying down you lift one leg completely up and try to keep it still? Can you keep it still, or does it start shaking a bit?

I'm on olanzapine, and my mum said today she'd noticed I was a bit shaky, so obviously I'm concerned. I've noticed when I hold my leg out or sometimes my hand I can't keep it still, so if someone could tell me if that's normal or not I'd be grateful.

I'm seeing my psychiatrist in a week or two and I'm going to discuss coming off it then, so I'm just looking for some short term reassurance.

ReputationRep:
    Is shakiness listed as a possible side-effect?

If it’s not likely to be a lasting effect after you stop taking them, and it’s working for your mood, it’s probably worth seeing if you can tolerate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laut_biru)
    Is shakiness listed as a possible side-effect?

If it’s not likely to be a lasting effect after you stop taking them, and it’s working for your mood, it’s probably worth seeing if you can tolerate it.
    Yes, but the worrying part is that it can also give you conditions like tardive dyskinesia, which can stay with you for life. I've probably not got it, cos it usually comes on after prolonged use of antipsychotics at a high dosage, and I've only been on a low dosage for less than two years, but it's still a bit worrying.

So if you lift your leg up does it start shaking at all or not?

ReputationRep:
    You might just be tired or something? My limbs are normally pretty stable if I'm lifting them up, but can be a bit juddery/harder to control if I'm fatigued at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Yes, but the worrying part is that it can also give you conditions like tardive dyskinesia, which can stay with you for life. I've probably not got it, cos it usually comes on after prolonged use of antipsychotics at a high dosage, and I've only been on a low dosage for less than two years, but it's still a bit worrying.

So if you lift your leg up does it start shaking at all or not?
    I thought that tended to develop first in people's faces/necks?

I'm probably not the best person to answer this but yes my legs and hands shake when I hold them out.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how high I lift it, I just tried it on my bed and the higher it gets, the shakier it is. Though, go and see the doc if you're still worried :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    What happens if when you're sitting/lying down you lift one leg completely up and try to keep it still? Can you keep it still, or does it start shaking a bit?

I'm on olanzapine, and my mum said today she'd noticed I was a bit shaky, so obviously I'm concerned. I've noticed when I hold my leg out or sometimes my hand I can't keep it still, so if someone could tell me if that's normal or not I'd be grateful.

I'm seeing my psychiatrist in a week or two and I'm going to discuss coming off it then, so I'm just looking for some short term reassurance.
    I just tried the leg thing and apparently can't keep it still. Never had hugely steady hands either though.

ReputationRep:
    I can keep it pretty still, it has to be said. I thought tardive dyskinesia was to do with the mouth, rather than muscles in general?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this is reassuring. And no, I'm not tired, I've noticed it happening before, I just became more worried when I heard it was bad enough for my mum to have noticed.

I'm not sure if the olanzapine's actually doing anything for me or not - it did make me feel slightly better when I was on agomelatine, but then I stayed on it when I switched to clomipramine, which made me feel much better but I don't know if the olanzapine's playing any part in that. I suppose the only way of finding that out is just stopping it and seeing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I thought that tended to develop first in people's faces/necks?

I'm probably not the best person to answer this but yes my legs and hands shake when I hold them out.
    (Original post by laut_biru)
    I can keep it pretty still, it has to be said. I thought tardive dyskinesia was to do with the mouth, rather than muscles in general?
    To be honest I have very little idea, I read the wikipedia article but that was ages ago, and I didn't want to read it again in case it just freaked me out.

ReputationRep:
    I think for short term reassurance, you have the fact that it’s barely any time until you see your psychiatrist. Whatever this shaking is, it’s likely to be less bad than going cold turkey from the meds, so carry on as normal until you can get their opinion.

ReputationRep:
    yeah if i lift my leg up its not too bad but the higher up it goes the more it shakes. same when i bend my back if i try and stay in a position where im leaning back a lot i start to shake a bit. It's normal I think so don't worry

ReputationRep:

As far as I am aware, tardive dyskinesia will most likely spring up in your toungue and jaw over anything else. That said, it's always worth having it checked out. However, if you're just holding your leg in the air, the muscles are going to get tired and cause tremors. Happens to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    As far as I am aware, tardive dyskinesia will most likely spring up in your toungue and jaw over anything else. That said, it's always worth having it checked out. However, if you're just holding your leg in the air, the muscles are going to get tired and cause tremors. Happens to everyone.
    I wasn't trying to diagnose myself with any particular condition, just trying to work out if there was actually anything wrong with me.

My legs start shaking almost instantly if I hold them out, which is why I got worried. But maybe I just have feeble muscles.

Anyway, I'm now more reassured that if there is anything wrong it's probably not serious enough that waiting a week or two til I see my psychiatrist will matter, so thanks to everyone who answered this thread.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.