Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

First relationship tips? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are many of us, of many ages, who still haven't had their first relationship. For those of you who have, what key advice/tips can you offer??

ReputationRep:
    be yourself.

why am i getting thumbs down...
    you be yourself for your first relationship if it does not work out then you know what parts of you that you need to change.

ReputationRep:
    meet someone you like and go with the flow... don't force it!

ReputationRep:
    DON'T....
    - spend too much time with them or you risk going way too fast and losing friends in the process
    - agree on everything, its bloody boring.
    - plan stuff further ahead than the time you've been going out.

DO
    - get to know their friends / family
    - talk about issues

ReputationRep:
    expect to fail

ReputationRep:
    Don't be too 'rapey rapey'.

ReputationRep:
    1. Think about things before you say them, everytime you send a text make sure you pause, and ask yourself if you really want to tell/ask them this.

2. Don't be too clingy, if the person is going out it does not mean they will cheat on you and end up naked on the street.

3. If you think you want to break up with someone wait for a considerable length of time before you do so, you should have about a weeks worth of you going 'this aint right' before you do so.

4. Never ever ever mix booze with a relationship, turn your phone off ALWAYS.

5. As for actually making the catch in the first place: be confident, talk to everyone. You have nothing to lose if you're never going to see this random hot person ever again in your life if you fail. Just be a complete mental extravert, trust me.

Good luck.. I hope you all have great relationships in the future. I certainly do and I love every minute of it.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you are both heard and listen to each other.

COMMUNICATE properly, don't expect the worst from the other person.

Trust each other.

Appreciate each other!

Have fun together

Basically, 'communication is key'.

ReputationRep:
    Take it slow. Dont rush everything.

PS: Use condoms/contraceptives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    - plan stuff further ahead than the time you've been going out.
    I've had so many "well if it works out long term..". Been shown a load of wedding dresses, actually made a list of 8 possible childrens names (and that's after much whittling down names I did and did not like) AND discussed what rooms in a hypothetical house would be for what and debates on if I can have a reptile room instead of a workshop. Deadly serious...:eek:, I mean to me it's just messing around but...

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic if it's not amazing all the time, especially after a few weeks have passed. Even the best relationships have their ups and downs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just use condoms or any kind of contraceptions if you want to get involved in sexual acitivities.

Don't plan way too much. Do not expect a lot out of the relationship because it is not always fantays as you may think.

Just be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to crush their soul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electronica)
    4. Never ever ever mix booze with a relationship, turn your phone off ALWAYS.
    Why? Going out and drinking together can be really fun, provided you both know your limits. Admittedly I can see why you'd want to if you were the sort of person who pukes or has to be taken home early a lot :P

I agree with the other 4 though, I always seem to find the best people when I'm not actively looking for a relationship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    I've had so many "well if it works out long term..". Been shown a load of wedding dresses, actually made a list of 8 possible childrens names (and that's after much whittling down names I did and did not like) AND discussed what rooms in a hypothetical house would be for what and debates on if I can have a reptile room instead of a workshop. Deadly serious...:eek:, I mean to me it's just messing around but...
    ha that'd scare me quite a bit :/ would quite happily have that chat with a friend... just not a gf unless we'd been together years

What about in a situation where it's your first relationship, but the other person has had a lot more experience, including a couple of serious long-term relationships?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    Why? Going out and drinking together can be really fun, provided you both know your limits. Admittedly I can see why you'd want to if you were the sort of person who pukes or has to be taken home early a lot :P

I agree with the other 4 though, I always seem to find the best people when I'm not actively looking for a relationship
    Going out together is fine. I just mean when one of you is drunk and the other isn't there. That can cause real problems... Especially if you get between her friends and her, or his friends and him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electronica)
    Going out together is fine. I just mean when one of you is drunk and the other isn't there. That can cause real problems... Especially if you get between her friends and her, or his friends and him.
    Well again, that's fine provided you aren't one of those people that loses control of themselves and then blames the alcohol.

My bf is in a different year at uni so his timetable, friendship group and term times are pretty different to mine, so with the exception the first week of term we usually don't go out clubbing together, although we'd usually give each other a couple of texts through the night. I think it's more about your attitude to each other and how much you trust each other (and how sensible you are with alcohol :P).

ReputationRep:
    Don't assume he's the one just because it's the first time you felt like that - infatuation is intense, potent, easily mistaken for love and often fades with time. There's a reason first loves never last.

Be open with him and let him be open with you. As others have said, communication is key. This will probably be the biggest lesson in most first relationships, learning to communicate; it's much more difficult than it sounds.

Oh and don't ditch friends and work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meh.)
    Don't assume he's the one just because it's the first time you felt like that - infatuation is intense, potent, easily mistaken for love and often fades with time. There's a reason first loves never last.

Be open with him and let him be open with you. As others have said, communication is key. This will probably be the biggest lesson in most first relationships, learning to communicate; it's much more difficult than it sounds.

Oh and don't ditch friends and work.
    While I'm sure this is great advice generally, I wouldn't say they never last. My mum was my dad's first proper girlfriend, and they've been married for about 27 years now and are still going strong. Of course, this is probably a fairly unusual case but it does happen!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.