Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have been accepted to Southampton university, and i was wondering is Southampton a cultural diverse university? Are there any black people there?

ReputationRep:
    I'm wandering this too :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Lol cause i would like a uni were there are at least a handful of black people

ReputationRep:
    From Wikipedia:

"At the date of the last census, there were 87 people of Afro-Caribbean origin in Southampton."

Ooh, that's a shame. Only 87 Black people in the whole of Southampton. Looks like you're not going to.... fit in.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, for gods sake. There are Black people in every big city in England!

ReputationRep:
    Somebody has to lead the black revolution in Southampton, man. Be a one-man army.

ReputationRep:
    Well actually wikipedia says 1% black.

Which out of 228000 isn't actually that many black people. If OP is happy with 2280 black people in the city, then that's fine, but it's not a substantial, or even a reasonable population. I couldn't imagine living in a place with only 2280 Asian people.

ReputationRep:
    There's a black guy living in the flat opposite me...?

ReputationRep:
    We are in the 21st century
    Black or white .. we are all the same !

ReputationRep:
    I've just firmed southampton

...and i'm black

ReputationRep:
    I firmed southampton and i also am of colour lol!!! Although only half black........ but by the looks of the numbers every little helps!

ReputationRep:
    i firmed southampton and im also black... besides i saw this huge black guy when i visited and as threatening as he looked the fact that he was one of us was more than enough :P

ReputationRep:
    If you go in to a Uni with a "Are there other people with the same skin tone as me?" attitude then you're setting yourself hurdles...

I don't understand what difference it makes. Can you only interact with black people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitelight)
    i firmed southampton and im also black... besides i saw this huge black guy when i visited and as threatening as he looked the fact that he was one of us was more than enough :P
    :facepalm2:

One of us....?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter if there are a lot of black people or only a few? All you're doing is making racial tensions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know_ThySelf)
    :facepalm2:

One of us....?
    lol as in someone who is at least black, im not racist i just do not want to be in a racial minority

ReputationRep:
    lol as in someone who is at least black, im not racist i just do not want to be in a racial minority
    You don't want to be a racial minority. yet you live in a country when at least 93% of the country is white?

Good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    I never said you were racist. Also, what's wrong with being a minority within a certain place? I find that sort of thinking is what causes racial tension.

LOL! As someone pointed out already the majority of the UK is white... so you always will be in the minority. But what should race etc matter? It's the individual that counts. Go to uni with an open mind not one thats tilting in the direction of becoming friends with your 'own' first...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know_ThySelf)
    I never said you were racist. Also, what's wrong with being a minority within a certain place? I find that sort of thinking is what causes racial tension.

LOL! As someone pointed out already the majority of the UK is white... so you always will be in the minority. But what should race etc matter? It's the individual that counts. Go to uni with an open mind not one thats tilting in the direction of becoming friends with your 'own' first...
    lol i think i give a bad impression when i speak, im in london so its quite multicultural here and when i go to uni i dont plan on placing preference to black friends over white friends at all i would just prefer the university to have a mix of races, iv been to an all white school and to be honest that was one of the best years of my life soo many lolz, and yeah im definitely going in with an open mind just hope i get the grades

ReputationRep:
    lol i think i give a bad impression when i speak, im in london so its quite multicultural here and when i go to uni i dont plan on placing preference to black friends over white friends at all i would just prefer the university to have a mix of races, iv been to an all white school and to be honest that was one of the best years of my life soo many lolz, and yeah im definitely going in with an open mind just hope i get the grades
    Ok.

Good luck, hope you get the grades too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Southampton, there are lots of black people... the more 'student' areas and the city centre seem to be very culturally diverse... dunno why it matters but hope that helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 31, 2012

University open days

1. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 9 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.