Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi room,i m a prospective black student comin 2 d uk 4 my masters prog by sept....i m really torn between choosing the univ of york and southampton..the black tolerance in both areas and also job opportunities r also of concern 2 me...any body help?

ReputationRep:
    hi room,i m a prospective black student comin 2 d uk 4 my masters prog by sept....i m really torn between choosing the univ of york and southampton..the black tolerance in both areas and also job opportunities r also of concern 2 me...any body help?

ReputationRep:
    Soooo.. are there a lot of black people or not? This question was kinda unanswered and I wanna know!

ReputationRep:
    Very culturally diverse, and the best thing about it is UK policy on equality and racism is very skewed towards foreign nationals.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton doesn't CARE about black people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivoncarla)
    Soooo.. are there a lot of black people or not? This question was kinda unanswered and I wanna know!
    There are black people in Southampton (I'm one of them!:P ) and Southampton is quite diverse but obviously not as diverse as London.

ReputationRep:
    been here for few months and i have come to the conclusion that this town aint too suitable for blacks....it aint funny when u walking home from school and a white chick who is approaching towards you and knowing that you will both meet at a point crosses over to the other side of the road and after you pass, she crosses back and continues her walk;happened several times to me.....or when a bus is full with little standing space and the seat beside you is vacant as no one wants to sit beside you...sometimes you feel like crying....or even when a bus driver asks to check your bus pass/id card when you about boarding a bus but he doesnt do the same for anyone else..for the first time in my life and on several occassions i get ashamed of been a black person.....i also thought that this would be an international environment but i have noticed that in the halls, the 'whites' are kept in hostels separate from blacks and asians who are usually grouped together....i have also gone to the clubs like oceana and provernance with my indian/chinese friends and you can never even dance or chat up a white chick as once she sees you are black or asian, she just excuses herself....please this is not just my opinion but also the opinion of my asian friends...i have friends in schools up north like aberdeen,newcastle and manchester and things are quite smooth for them as there everyone is taken to be the same i.e everyone flows with everyone......IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN THIS EARLIER
    p.s not casting aspersions on any one or any thing but i am just narrating my 5 months experience here...if there is anything wrong in my approach to life here, point it out in a kind manner....also i forgot to mention these but the erasmus exchange students most especially the french,spanish and german are pretty cool and very social!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    This thread is racist. Who cares about ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    deal with it man..itz real and itz better we talk about it...obviously u dont suffer it so you can afford to just ignore the thread
    (Original post by Azarimanka)
    This thread is racist. Who cares about ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzoexcel)
    deal with it man..itz real and itz better we talk about it...obviously u dont suffer it so you can afford to just ignore the thread
    I think you should learn to spell. I'd be much more likely to discriminate against you because you can't spell than on the basis of whatever race you are.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.southampton.gov.uk/living...ethnicity.aspx

2.2% black in 2001

ReputationRep:
    thank you friend....though its hilarious that they gave a different percentage for 'Asians' and a different one for the 'chinese'. last time i checked, i thought china was in Asia...

ReputationRep:
    touche...ohkay,lemme rephrase....
    deal wid it man..'tis real & itz beta we talk abt it...obviously u dnt suffer it so u can afford 2 jst ignore d thread
    (Original post by Azarimanka)
    I think you should learn to spell. I'd be much more likely to discriminate against you because you can't spell than on the basis of whatever race you are.

ReputationRep:
    excel;40770070]touche...ohkay,lemme rephrase....
    deal wid it man..'tis real & itz beta we talk abt it...obviously u dnt suffer it so u can afford 2 jst ignore d thread
    :facepalm2:

OP why does it matter? embrace

ReputationRep:
    embrace what specifically???
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    :facepalm2:

OP why does it matter? embrace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzoexcel)
    touche...ohkay,lemme rephrase....

Nah sorry, English only please.

ReputationRep:
    Nah there's only humans I'm afraid, that good enough for ya?

ReputationRep:
    I am applying there and hopefully I get a place. Im a black girl and I wouldn't mind the fact that there are few blacks. We are all people aren't we. (Though I've never studied with white people).

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so stupid, does it really matter if black people are in Southampton? I'm half-black and most activities football etc I've done outside of school has been with a majority of white people, but in school I have a lot of black friends. Who cares if there are black in people in southampton or not, you want get very far with that attitude.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 31, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.