Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Clarinet player - wants to transition to saxophone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay I recently just passed my grade 8 clarinet and I am ready to move away from the instrument and start playing saxophone since I absolutely love jazz (stuff like youngblood brass band)

question is:

tenor or alto sax?

I believe that tenor sax fingering is somewhat similar to clarinet and also since they're both in Bb its probably easier for me to recognise pitches etc.

However I also love the sound of the alto sax...

Anyone got any tips or have actually moved from clarinet to saxophone themselves?

ReputationRep:
    You'll find it mega easy - with the possible exception of the soprano, which will still be easier for a clarinet player -it being basically a big metal clarinet.

Sax has much cooler image, I know - but with the right mouthpiece, the clarinet is a great jazz instrument.

ReputationRep:
    I play Alto, so I'm slightly biased..

ReputationRep:
    If you're planning on buying a saxophone, don't forget that Tenors tend to be more expensive that Altos.

And yeah, since you're a clarinet player the saxophone should be quite easy. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The fingering is the same on all saxes - the music is transposed: Eb for alto and baritone, Bb for soprano and tenor. Surprisingly little difference in price between alto and tenor as they are the most common - soprano and especially baritone are dearer. Go to your music shop and try before you buy, it'll be the weight and feel of the instrument that makes most difference (there's only 5 notes difference in the pitch ).

ReputationRep:
    Why move away from the clarinet now you're grade 8? :O
    That is where the true fun begins!

Anyway, I'm a sax player myself, you should be fine being a clarinettist, but the fingering is different. The only similarity is once you get to the D above the break to B above that.

I'd say tenor is more of a jazz instrument and alto for classical however they both have scope for either.
    However, if you're mega rich get a baritone :love: omg that beast is gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    As not only both a clarinet and a saxophone player but also an alto and a tenor player, I really wanted to give my opinion on your problem. I started playing saxophone when I was about grade 3 on the clarinet because my hands were finally big enough. it was an amazingly easy transition and I think I did my grade 3 sax the same term. The fingering is almost exactly the same as the second octave for the clarinet on the saxophones. Obviously you need a different embrachure but I'm sure you will adapt.

As for tenor or alto, I would say start with alto. I have been playing tenor for about three years now and although I'm grade 8 alto, the sound is much harder to make nice on a tenor; essentially you need a much more expensive instrument to get the same quality. although the tenor is a lovely instrument and is great for jazz, the alto is much more versatile. It can play classical romantic modern jazz or pop music easily, whereas the tenor is only really for jazz. I know you said you mainly wanted to do jazz but one genre will become boring, even if it is jazz. If you start on the alto it will be easier to progress onto the tenor than going straight from clarinet to tenor.

One last thing, don't give up the clarinet. Not only is it more useful for band purposes
    but it's lovely and if you've got to grade 8 it'd be a waste, even if you don't want to do anything in music as a career.
    Hope it was useful

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on your first post (and sound advice it was too - rep). Check out the saxophone Society - it's gone a bit quiet in there recently and we could do with some new discussion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.