Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can't stand it at home, should I move out? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need some advice, and fast.

My family just had a talk with me, again, about how I'm not working hard enough. It's the fact that I'd go to parties or I'll just go out every now and then and they're not very pleased with it all. They're treating me like I'm failing and not doing any work at all, but the truth is I work hard all the time, maybe not 100% of the time but I do try very hard. And even my teachers can back me up with that because I do the homework and also go to after school sessions to get the grades.

But the way my parents are seeing it is that if I'm going out half the time and working the other half, it practically means I'm not working at all and nothing will go in. But that's how I've always dealt with my studies and I have been getting decent grades too. I'm not a genius but I do try really hard, and I'm working to get to somewhere I want to be. I get really stressed at home so I try and escape by going out with my friends and meeting my boyfriend and such. In my opinion that's my way of de-stressing, and it works. When I get home I can continue to do what I need to do and revise or whatever.

Bascially my dad gave me two choices:
    1. Stay at home for the rest of the 2/3 months until exams and not go out at all and work everyday and get grades.
    2. I move out and cut my relationship with him and he won't give me support for my Student Finance.

The thing is, I wouldn't mind doing more work, I was planning to anyways. I got loads of work off my teachers for the holiday. It's just that I get so stressed at home FROM so much work and go out to relax. It's not like I go out drinking or whatever, it's not my thing, I go out with some friends and sit in Starbucks and revise together or whatever, or just go to the park with my boyfriend. My parents can't see that its beneficial for me to go out once in a while, I do a lot more work in a coffee shop than compared to when I'm at home, because half the time while at home I just stare at the computer or the wall so I actually do no work.

I know that I can get the grades, I'm working towards it in my own way, only that my parent's can't seem to see anything from my view.

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    How hard can a middle class scene kid fail at life?

Not enough it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supervernagirl)
    Hi, I need some advice, and fast.

My family just had a talk with me, again, about how I'm not working hard enough. It's the fact that I'd go to parties or I'll just go out every now and then and they're not very pleased with it all. They're treating me like I'm failing and not doing any work at all, but the truth is I work hard all the time, maybe not 100% of the time but I do try very hard. And even my teachers can back me up with that because I do the homework and also go to after school sessions to get the grades.

But the way my parents are seeing it is that if I'm going out half the time and working the other half, it practically means I'm not working at all and nothing will go in. But that's how I've always dealt with my studies and I have been getting decent grades too. I'm not a genius but I do try really hard, and I'm working to get to somewhere I want to be. I get really stressed at home so I try and escape by going out with my friends and meeting my boyfriend and such. In my opinion that's my way of de-stressing, and it works. When I get home I can continue to do what I need to do and revise or whatever.

Bascially my dad gave me two choices:
    1. Stay at home for the rest of the 2/3 months until exams and not go out at all and work everyday and get grades.
    2. I move out and cut my relationship with him and he won't give me support for my Student Finance.

The thing is, I wouldn't mind doing more work, I was planning to anyways. I got loads of work off my teachers for the holiday. It's just that I get so stressed at home FROM so much work and go out to relax. It's not like I go out drinking or whatever, it's not my thing, I go out with some friends and sit in Starbucks and revise together or whatever, or just go to the park with my boyfriend. My parents can't see that its beneficial for me to go out once in a while, I do a lot more work in a coffee shop than compared to when I'm at home, because half the time while at home I just stare at the computer or the wall so I actually do no work.

I know that I can get the grades, I'm working towards it in my own way, only that my parent's can't seem to see anything from my view.

What should I do?
    I was in a similar situation and ended up moving out when I was 16, living with my ex and paying her parents rent. I refused any help with student finance after that because I know my stepmum (the only one left) would be breathing down my back the whole time at uni. Now I work 2 jobs and pay my own way, unfortunately don't get a grant because it was my choice not to take parental support. But I manage, and still have loads of fun at Uni!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.