Turn on thread page Beta

How old were you when you moved out watch

ReputationRep:
    For various reasons, whether it was bad relationships with family etc or just for the hell of it. (going to uni doesn't count)

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    i moved out at 19

ReputationRep:
    I was 18, and I joined the Army.

ReputationRep:
    18 as well, moved in with my partner at the time

ReputationRep:
    17 whoch was even better for me since I was bullied at school and had no friends/social life and lived 8 miles from town to a small city where I had control of my life which meant life got so much better.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 20 when I move out.

ReputationRep:
    It was a slow transition for me. Over the uni years I went home less and less, until by the time I graduated I never went home. Officially though, I moved out at 22 (i.e. have nothing of mine back at my parents house and don't have a key).

ReputationRep:
    INteresting. See I do have money saved up, but to me, spending 500 a month on a nice place - has to allow pets - seems like a hell of a lot. However, if I want a semi nice place, has to be semi expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    It was a slow transition for me. Over the uni years I went home less and less, until by the time I graduated I never went home. Officially though, I moved out at 22 (i.e. have nothing of mine back at my parents house and don't have a key).
    they made you give them back the key to their house?

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't uni count, out of interest? I'm in halls atm and I wouldn't count that, but I'm moving to a studio flat which is going to be my little place. I don't rush back to my parents' house in every break, so I would consider that to be moving out, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    17. Why doesn't going to uni count? Even if you never moved back? If so, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to answer this question. Does this mean I technically still live with my parents even though I... uhh.. don't?

ReputationRep:
    Just as going to university means halls or rented accom with other students, still going home for most if not all breaks, however Cicerao, that does count I guess, Hmm spose I was a bit vague :P ah well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Do you rent now?
    Yeah. I'm only 23, too young to buy a house!! I guess I technically could, but I'm on a 3 year job contract and chances are I'll have to move once that ends, so a mortgage would overcomplicate things.

(Original post by boba)
    they made you give them back the key to their house?
    No. My dad bought a new house, so I had to give back the keys I had to the old house and he didn't give me keys to the new house. Very shrewd move

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I'm only 23, too young to buy a house!! I guess I technically could, but I'm on a 3 year contract and chances are I'll have to move once that ends, so a mortgage would overcomplicate things.

No. My dad bought a new house, so I had to give back the keys I had to the old house and he didn't give me keys to the new house. Very shrewd move
    ahh that makes more sense. still a bit harsh that you weren't offered keys though, if one of them is out and forgets there key and can't get in for whatever reason it will serve them right for not offering you a spare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    ahh that makes more sense. still a bit harsh that you weren't offered keys though, if one of them is out and forgets there key and can't get in for whatever reason it will serve them right for not offering you a spare.
    I live 4 hours away, so that wouldn't be very convenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabblez)
    INteresting. See I do have money saved up, but to me, spending 500 a month on a nice place - has to allow pets - seems like a hell of a lot. However, if I want a semi nice place, has to be semi expensive
    500 a month? Thats well cheap. Where do you live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaaaaa)
    500 a month? Thats well cheap. Where do you live?
    The north east :P it's dead expensive when your only on £400 a month!

But if push comes to shove, I will pay out for it. Least I know my aunt'll furnish my house for me but again, with the whole pets thing, hardly anywhere allows them

ReputationRep:
    I live 4 hours away, so that wouldn't be very convenient.
    Still surely it's the thought that counts, means you could always go back, should you ever want to. And now with no key, you will always have to check first

ReputationRep:
    Going to uni still counts, as going to uni meant I moved out.
    So, almost 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabblez)
    Still surely it's the thought that counts, means you could always go back, should you ever want to. And now with no key, you will always have to check first
    Ah, it doesn't matter. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere and I can't drive, so it's not like I'm ever going to just turn up anyway. When I was growing up he was the kind of father who couldn't wait for me to grow up and fly the nest anyhow. And now he *****es that I never visit. So he's just never happy

As for this argument about whether uni counts, I'd say uni is half moving out unless you stay in your uni town all year round. Just my 2 cents...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.