Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How old were you when you moved out watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabblez)
    The north east :P it's dead expensive when your only on £400 a month!

But if push comes to shove, I will pay out for it. Least I know my aunt'll furnish my house for me but again, with the whole pets thing, hardly anywhere allows them
    What kind of pet do you have? I'm renting a place that doesn't allow pets but I've managed to sneak 2 cats in :mmm:

All you have to do is make sure they doesn't cause any damage to the place (e.g. ****ting on the carpet) and get a friend to take care of it for the day if the landlord wants to do an inspection.

ReputationRep:
    I was 18 - I moved in with my boyfriend at the time. Relationship's recently broken down, so am moving back in with my parents... Uni in September though, so will be off again!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 20, moving for a years research abroad.

ReputationRep:
    If we count university, then that would be 18. I used to work in the holidays anyway so I only really returned to my parents for brief visits. If we are counting fully permanent 'moving out' then that would be at 21 (this year) since I now work in Amsterdam. Of course, we still visit each other though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Is it terrible that he's home? Does he help out financially?
    it is terrible, he plays loud music while im trying to do coursework, he shouts at my parents when they say i can use the car and he cant, and no, he doesnt. he has not paid a penny to my parents since he finished uni, yet he can still afford to do things like go to alton towers.

ReputationRep:
    18.To the usa. for uni.

Im never going to see those guys again.

ReputationRep:
    I was 18 when i moved out, went on a gap year down in dorset, went home for a week then straight up to university. i love my family, i really do. but i love living away from home. Sure do miss the cooking though...

...and the dogs. i miss my dogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    That sounds kinda crazy, when I was 17 I paid a £100 deposit and landlord was willing to wait for my grant to arrive, thats how I afforded it, and I was signing on for a few months etc when I left college just before I turned 19 then I got a summer job

That and I go for cheapish accomodation and dont use much utilities i.e I can still see bedsits for like £50 a week in certain towns(without bills) or about £65 with bills so its not too bad.

Though by 21 it was """" easy to get a place and a deposit would of only been a few hundred quid max

The term freeter is used in Japan for this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeter
    The cheapest place to rent in my area is £350 a month without bills but is the most disgusting flat and is in the worst area with a lot of drug addicts, thefts, burglary and violent crimes.

As i said though i don't want to get stuck renting anyway. So the deposit I would need to buy a house would be a hell of a lot more than £100. I have never heard of a rental deposit that low anyway. They are usually a month and half rent at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    it is terrible, he plays loud music while im trying to do coursework, he shouts at my parents when they say i can use the car and he cant, and no, he doesnt. he has not paid a penny to my parents since he finished uni, yet he can still afford to do things like go to alton towers.
    Well it's up to your parents to push him really... Not neccessarily to move out, but he should pay his way. Sounds like he needs a kick up the backside.

ReputationRep:
    I was 17. My parents broke up, my dad moved out and my mum's new boyfriend moved in. Needless to say, I didn't stay long! It was quite good actually, living alone for 18 months before university was good preparation, though I doubt it helped my grades in college at all...

ReputationRep:
    I really hope to move out some time this year asap. So I'll be 21.
    This is not counting Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I will be 18 and for Uni. But seeing as I got luggage for my birthday, I'm assuming my parents may want me gone sooner aha

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately not, it's just me and my sister. Both my parents passed away when I was 13. So it's just been the two of us for 6 years. Making now quite a difficult time as although I have the money, I am really reluctant to spend It on moving out even though I know It would make me happier. Just because it is my nest egg and essentially the only thing I have right now to live off
    Why don't you just go out and buy your own car its not like you need to seek your sisters approval, just do it without telling her. They are expensive and you will use all your money on it, but it will give you loads of freedom! I'd rather spend money on a car than on moving out! My sister has one and she is never at home she barely even sleeps here.

ReputationRep:
    . (going to uni doesn't count)
    It bloody well does count when this is the only room I have.

ReputationRep:
    Damn I'm almost embarrassed to say when I'm moving out :o:, I'll have to move out in two and a half years time (so I'll be late 22), until then although I'll be at university I come home for the holidays

I think it's different with asians, I've known loads of guys who have stayed with their parents until they were 26-28 or until they were married. Moving out doesn't seem to be a priority.

ReputationRep:
    I was 18, moved in with my partner.

When we split 5 years later, I decided to do an Access course and go to uni, so I had to move back home for a year when I was 23, as was only able to work part time.

That year was hell (evil stepdad lol), then I went to uni and now live with flatmates after graduating. I would say 18-20 is a good age to be flying the nest.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've not lived at home since I left for Uni at the age of 18. I've now graduated and live with a couple of my friends. No intention of living at home again - not that I don't get on with parents, I just have no reason to live there.

(Original post by aaaaaa)
    500 a month? Thats well cheap. Where do you live?
    If you say so! We pay £700 a month for a 3 bed flat between us. £280 covers my rent and utilities every month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Well I've not lived at home since I left for Uni at the age of 18. I've now graduated and live with a couple of my friends. No intention of living at home again - not that I don't get on with parents, I just have no reason to live there.

If you say so! We pay £700 a month for a 3 bed flat between us. £280 covers my rent and utilities every month.
    You must live somewhere totally crap. I pay more than that for a studio. Haha

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 18 when I move out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    The cheapest place to rent in my area is £350 a month without bills but is the most disgusting flat and is in the worst area with a lot of drug addicts, thefts, burglary and violent crimes.

As i said though i don't want to get stuck renting anyway. So the deposit I would need to buy a house would be a hell of a lot more than £100. I have never heard of a rental deposit that low anyway. They are usually a month and half rent at least.
    Why dont you move to a bedsit? The £100 was for student accomodation but this was a few years ago but even now I see many student accomodations offering like £200 deposit

I pay £400 per month for a 1 bedroom flat and would pay £350 for a beautiful flat in a rough area about 20 minutes walk away(and it would be 2 bedroom!)

If I wanted a bedsit I would be paying £200-£300 per month including everything inc internet which if I was living at home would mean I would save on travel so wouldnt be as bad as it looks.

and in all areas I have lived the up front rent has been no more than a month.(but I havent lived in the bigger cities)

(Original post by boba)
    ahh that makes more sense. still a bit harsh that you weren't offered keys though, if one of them is out and forgets there key and can't get in for whatever reason it will serve them right for not offering you a spare.
    Why is that harsh if hes not living there, not paying rent, not paying bills etc, and even if he lived with his parents that doesnt mean he is entitled to a key.

Otherwise whats the point of moving out if you can go to your parents at anytime?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.