Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got an offer for dentistry for QUB, and im over the moon. Im gay, only told a few people, and intend to be more open at Uni. Im not from Northern Ireland and have only been to Belfast once, so i dont know much about the locality. I was fine, but someone mentioned that people there might not be too comfortable with homosexuality. I realise this exists everywhere but would like to know whether I could face conflict with this in Northern IrelandI. Also the class is pretty small, about 50 students I think, and eventually theyre all going to know, will this affect my ability to make friends.

I probably sound so irrational but this is unframillair territory with me, as Im pretty masculine and the friends ive told are very very understanding and encouraging.

BUMP

I am also hoping to go to QUB next year, although I am not gay, you will not face any conflict in NI, I live in Belfast, you will be fine mate. Good luck gettin to QUB

ReputationRep:
    Stand up and make a speech about your gayness?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I am also hoping to go to QUB next year, although I am not gay, you will not face any conflict in NI, I live in Belfast, you will be fine mate. Good luck gettin to QUB
    Really? Thats good to know, what about halls? Im worried about letting it define me, its not what I want to be known for, id rather be known for my personality.

ReputationRep:
    I did read an article about homophobia being prevelent in Northern Ireland recently last week.

That said, I have friends there, and my mate's sister is in a same sex relationship. Ive not known them to have any problems ever so i wouldnt worry about.

Incidentally I'll be at QUB too if i can secure some funding (Postgrad)

(Original post by Daniel1987)
    I did read an article about homophobia being prevelent in Northern Ireland recently last week.

That said, I have friends there, and my mate's sister is in a same sex relationship. Ive not known them to have any problems ever so i wouldnt worry about.

Incidentally I'll be at QUB too if i can secure some funding (Postgrad)
    Thanks, im sure that the same problems would exist at every university city but im just getting very nervous as im going to have to make LOTS of first impressions and its stressing me out, as im comfortable with how others see me at the moment, but dont want people to judge me or I dont want to alienate myself. Ive been thinking why and friends have also mentioned because many students are very religious and from rural backgrounds, and this perhaps explains the less understanding attitude.

i go there, and tbh the people i have encountered seem to fine with it. but you'll get dodgy characters anywhere

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine.
    the country bumpkin meatheads will probably be a bit off but who wants to be friends with them anyway? Plus, these types generally live in herds in the holylands with their existing friends rather than in halls because they are incredibly insular.

(Original post by mermania)
    you'll be fine.
    the country bumpkin meatheads will probably be a bit off but who wants to be friends with them anyway? Plus, these types generally live in herds in the holylands with their existing friends rather than in halls because they are incredibly insular.
    The same happens with leavers in my school they all go straight to private accomadation in preset groups, unwilling to meet anyone new.

Is Belfast dangerous at night; ive never been to a gaybar and its likely that ill go while at uni; would it be dangerous to go alone incase im not ready to tell people by that point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The same happens with leavers in my school they all go straight to private accomadation in preset groups, unwilling to meet anyone new.

Is Belfast dangerous at night; ive never been to a gaybar and its likely that ill go while at uni; would it be dangerous to go alone incase im not ready to tell people by that point?
    I'm not gay so I've never been to any of the gaybars but in general I've never had any trouble in Belfast at night, nor do I know anyone who has.

I doubt you'd have to go alone anyway, I'm sure there'll be girls in your halls who'll be more than happy to go with you

(Original post by mermania)
    I'm not gay so I've never been to any of the gaybars but in general I've never had any trouble in Belfast at night, nor do I know anyone who has.

I doubt you'd have to go alone anyway, I'm sure there'll be girls in your halls who'll be more than happy to go with you
    ha, in general is important too, im from a very quiet area and so not too sure how dangerous any large city would be, and Belfast has a history; even though I know this is over.

Hmm, im not the type of person to be a girls best friend. Pretty much a guys guy; when i told my friends, the girls tried to mold me into the stereotypical role unconciously lmao

ReputationRep:
    Belfast is the second safest city in the world - not my words, the words of the United Nations!

I am gay and hopefully going to Queen's this September also. Dw I am sure we will be fine

ReputationRep:
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:s...089qgo.jpg&t=1

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll be any worse at Queen's than anywhere else, I have plenty of gay/lesbian friends here and they're fine.

I think there's a big enough LGBT culture anyway. There's the LGBT society at Queen's (http://qublgbt.wordpress.com/) who organize plenty of events, there's the Kremlin to go out to (http://www.kremlin-belfast.com/kremlin/index.html), etc.

ReputationRep:
    Im a mature student at QUB, you will be fine, Northern Ireland isnt as backward as its made out to be!

ReputationRep:
    Depends how camp you are

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.