Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite stuck on what I should choose for my fourth A-level choice, it's between Economics & Psychology. I feel I'd do better at Psychology as I'm interested in Psychology and other Social Science's such as Law (which I'm doing at A-Level). However, I'm stuck between the two as I hope to be a teacher of Business Studies and /or ICT (both of which I'm taking at A-Level), and I believe Economics would help in that field, but Economics does involve a lot of Mathematics, and I'm not the best at it (B grade). Also, can anyone who has studied these subjects give me any information or recommendations?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Economics. Don't be worried about the Maths element - at A-level there is none. (Except for the odd subtraction/addition in a "describe the trend/pattern" question).

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I would recommend you choose Economics over Psychology.

I believe Economics is a lot more academic, and requires mathematics - which you should be fine in, since you've gotten a B grade (Economics, from what I've heard from my friends, includes a lot of graphs and taking data and analysing it from them).

Also, I am studying Law too, so I would say you should keep that, although you've not said you're uncertain on that choice.

In all honesty, it does come down to personal preference, which one you believe will help you get the better grade.

If you need anything else, feel free to pm me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeyJB)
    I'm quite stuck on what I should choose for my fourth A-level choice, it's between Economics & Psychology. I feel I'd do better at Psychology as I'm interested in Psychology and other Social Science's such as Law (which I'm doing at A-Level). However, I'm stuck between the two as I hope to be a teacher of Business Studies and /or ICT (both of which I'm taking at A-Level), and I believe Economics would help in that field, but Economics does involve a lot of Mathematics, and I'm not the best at it (B grade). Also, can anyone who has studied these subjects give me any information or recommendations?

Thank you!
    I did Economics at a level and say that even if you haven't done maths at a level its not really a problem, there were a few percentage changes, elasticity question but it more or less GCSE standard for maths. It a lot more about theories, i.e neo-classical vs keynesian views, studying about unemployment, inflation, interest rates etc.
    It is not the most simplest of subjects, but it is was quite interesting I felt, if you did a BSc degree in economics tho, you will need a level maths as the maths is very calculus and stats based. But, I think it be very useful for a business teacher.

ReputationRep:
    So you are choosing between

Economics
    Business
    ICT
    Law

and

Psychology
    Business
    ICT
    Law

?

If those are the only combinations you are considering, then I would choose the second one, because taking both Business and Economics is very narrow.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I took both. Some of my observations:

-Psychology is more interesting at AS
    -Economics is more interesting at A2. It can take a while for you to be able to evaluate without memorising lists of things to say.
    -Psychology is easier, particularly if you're good at writing essays. (Results in my profile would say differently, but I resat an Economics unit. Would have had 328/400 without it, so from original sittings I did better in Psychology. A Psychology paper was remarked and I wonder if it was representative of my true performance on that paper. They'd have looked severely incompetent if they marked it up much further, it went up 18 marks (D to B) as it was.)
    -Economics does not involve much Maths, and most of it that you will get is in the form of multiple choice so if you really don't know you can just guess. In any case I'm sure you will get it eventually, my teacher thought I needed extra help at first. It's a bit more mathsy at A2 (comparative advantage, terms of trade) but not that bad.
    - Psychology involves memorising numerous studies, which is a harder task at A2 because of how many are involved. A good memory is very beneficial.
    - Economics is useful for Business because you think outside of the box. The best Business teacher I had had an Economics degree and no formal qualification in Business.

Hope this helps and if you have any more specific questions about either, feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterwayne10)
    Hi.

I would recommend you choose Economics over Psychology.

I believe Economics is a lot more academic, and requires mathematics - which you should be fine in, since you've gotten a B grade (Economics, from what I've heard from my friends, includes a lot of graphs and taking data and analysing it from them).

Also, I am studying Law too, so I would say you should keep that, although you've not said you're uncertain on that choice.

In all honesty, it does come down to personal preference, which one you believe will help you get the better grade.

If you need anything else, feel free to pm me.
    I wouldn't say economics is 'A LOT' more academic, my twin brother does it and I don't see any huge differences. It depends, Psychology DOES involve lots of statistics, but for what you want to do economics is more beneficial, but psychology, IMO is more interesting

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is MUCH more interesting and would help you with your law, however if you want to go into business I'd say economics is more useful

ReputationRep:
    Economics really has like no maths in it, it would be useful for business studies to so seems like the better choice but if you want to do psychology don't be disheartened to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I wouldn't say economics is 'A LOT' more academic, my twin brother does it and I don't see any huge differences. It depends, Psychology DOES involve lots of statistics, but for what you want to do economics is more beneficial, but psychology, IMO is more interesting
    Well, like I said, it does depend on personal interest. Some may find Economics more interesting than Psychology and vice-versa.

ReputationRep:
    Whichever you're more interested in

You don't have to be brilliant at maths to do A-level Economics because there is very little of it involved. If you wanted to teach Business Studies this would probably be more relevant than Psychology, but if you wanted to go to a top university they may prefer a broader choice of subjects as Business and Economics are quite closely related. Having said that, many places don't have specific A-level preferences as long as you get the grades!

Psychology is really good though, I'm enjoying it. It's down to personal preference, personally if I were in your position I would choose Psychology because the subject matter is very different to Business and ICT (although it does have links to Law, depending on your syllabus if it involves Forensic psychology) so won't get bored of the same stuff all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Economics- best option
    there's not a lot of maths involved in AS economics at all, just working out % changes
    but choose the subject that you feel you will do best in
    try and go to taster sessions for those subjects if they're available

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you ever thought about doing, Computing instead of ICT??
    It is much more respected and looks very good on your CV. and plus you will learn most of the things in COMPUTING which you may find useful.
    Just my opinion.

Choose what you think will suit you best.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.