The Student Room Group

Why am I so bad at reading out loud?!

Today at church I was reading a reading, and I realised my voice was really monotone. I also stumbled a wee bit but that's not much of an issue. I just feel my voice is quite monotonous, how can this be changed?
Reply 1
Recordings or GTFO.
probably just lack of practice

i can read ridiculously fast in my head, yet when i come to reading out loud my brain just doesn't work and half the words come out wrong... thats possibly due to dyspraxia though
(edited 13 years ago)
nerves ... i have a stutter so thats why i don't like to read out loud i still do it though.
Reply 4
Can anyone tell me how you leave a social group?
Maybe you were just a bit nervous? Just keep going at it and you'll gain more confidence:P
See I'm good at reading aloud... minus how red my face goes... if I had short green hair you'd probably mistake me for a giant tomato...
Reply 6
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
probably just lack of practice

i can read ridiculously fast in my head, yet when i come to reading out loud my brain just doesn't work and half the words come out wrong... thats possibly due to dyspraxia though

I'm dyspraxic! What kind do you have? Or do you mean dyslexia?
Reply 7
Original post by Gaz Faull
Can anyone tell me how you leave a social group?

Lol, random much?
Audio or GTFO :colonhash:

its probably a confidence problem tbh
Original post by RobertWhite
I'm dyspraxic! What kind do you have? Or do you mean dyslexia?

definitely mean dyspraxia :smile: and it mainly affected me when i was a toddler. talked non stop... but nobody could understand a word of it :/ so had to go for speech therapy for agees.

listening to the tapes of me back then is bloody hilarious, i get soo angry at everyone ahaha
Reply 10
Did you go to my primary school? *memories of listening to haltering, monotone reading while I was about 5 pages ahead* :colonhash:

Just practise more.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
definitely mean dyspraxia :smile: and it mainly affected me when i was a toddler. talked non stop... but nobody could understand a word of it :/ so had to go for speech therapy for agees.

listening to the tapes of me back then is bloody hilarious, i get soo angry at everyone ahaha

SAME! Wow! I never thought I would meet someone with this too! I had speech therapy from the ages of 3-10. Nobody could understand a WORD I said except my twin brother. Do you still mispronounce your 'S'? I used to get so upset nobody could understand me.
(edited 13 years ago)
SAME! Wow! I never thought I would meet someone with this too! I had speech therapy from the ages of 3-10. Nobody could understand a WORD I said except my twin brother. Do you still mispronounce your 'S'? I used to get so upset nobody could understand me.

i speak perfectly normally now :biggrin: had a stammer pop up for a year or so when i was 10 (no idea why :s ) and theres quite a few dyspraxics floating around on here. thinking about it, it never comes up in conversation with any of my friends so i may well have a few dyspraxic friends too and we just don't know about each other
Reply 13
i speak perfectly normally now :biggrin: had a stammer pop up for a year or so when i was 10 (no idea why :s ) and theres quite a few dyspraxics floating around on here. thinking about it, it never comes up in conversation with any of my friends so i may well have a few dyspraxic friends too and we just don't know about each other

Mine may have been more severe than yours... I'm just assuming. I don't speak completely normal now, but it apparently the best they could do, I may consider more lessons as an adult. It's mainly my 'S' where I use my tongue slightly...

ALL my friends know, and they all make me say words which are difficult to say -.- (well, one of them anyway ^^)
Reply 14
I'm awful at reading aloud- I stutter and stumble my way through it! Like in a class if we're reading out our answers I'll read mine in my head a couple of times before the teacher gets to me, and it sounds perfect in my head, then when I go to speak it just comes out like verbal diharrea and is nothing like what it should be :frown: sucks!!
Mine may have been more severe than yours... I'm just assuming. I don't speak completely normal now, but it apparently the best they could do, I may consider more lessons as an adult. It's mainly my 'S' where I use my tongue slightly...

ALL my friends know, and they all make me say words which are difficult to say -.- (well, one of them anyway ^^)

yeh i imagine yours was worse than mine. lol lovely friends :smile:
Reply 16
yeh i imagine yours was worse than mine. lol lovely friends :smile:

I'm in a new friendship group now, the other one was full of arrogant ****ers, and although it was lighthearted it had reached a point and I'd told them to politely stop, and they didn't.

It could be worse :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by oranges01
Today at church I was reading a reading, and I realised my voice was really monotone. I also stumbled a wee bit but that's not much of an issue. I just feel my voice is quite monotonous, how can this be changed?

Gain a personality?
Reply 18
I think, like everyone else has said... practice. I used to be awful at reading out loud and I avoided it for years and hated it when I got a new teacher that made us read in philosophy (so confusing texts as well) but now Im not too bothered cos I got used to it... and everytime it goes well, you relax a bit more.

Also if you can, read the text before hand. Then any mistakes you might make in the pronounciation of words, or whatever you'll notice when no ones listening. That helped a lot.
I hated reading aloud for GCSE English! I'd end up putting sentences on different lines together and having to go back and fix it. :facepalm:

Now my AS Spanish teacher makes me read out the textbook - infront of native speakers!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending