Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changing your grade years after the initial award - can it be done? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To cut a long story short, I experienced a lot of strange events during one of my final A-level exams: shimmering lights, blind spots in my vision, eventually complete loss of vision (albeit briefly), objects looked like they were breathing, I wasn't able to process words... My grandmother had recently died of metastasised brain cancer and I thought I had it too and was dying, so buried my head in the sand about it. I got a low E on that exam (got that from the bit I had already done, because I couldn't complete it: I couldn't see the paper for the most part and, even when I looked around the light and field defects, I couldn't understand what I was reading) and it dragged my grade for that whole subject down.

Recently been diagnosed with ocular migraines and, in retrospect, it's obvious that my 'dying experience' was actually an aura. I failed that exam and got a lower grade than I deserved overall due to a serious medical problem (my doctor has commented that it's one of the worst cases of migraine he's come across, and he got special interest in headaches so I'm guessing that he's seen a few.) However, I took it in 2009... Is there any way of getting that exam re-looked at in light of new information, or do I just have to forget about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    To cut a long story short, I experienced a lot of strange events during one of my final A-level exams: shimmering lights, blind spots in my vision, eventually complete loss of vision (albeit briefly), objects looked like they were breathing, I wasn't able to process words... My grandmother had recently died of metastasised brain cancer and I thought I had it too and was dying, so buried my head in the sand about it. I got a low E on that exam (got that from the bit I had already done, because I couldn't complete it: I couldn't see the paper for the most part and, even when I looked around the light and field defects, I couldn't understand what I was reading) and it dragged my grade for that whole subject down.

Recently been diagnosed with ocular migraines and, in retrospect, it's obvious that my 'dying experience' was actually an aura. I failed that exam and got a lower grade than I deserved overall due to a serious medical problem (my doctor has commented that it's one of the worst cases of migraine he's come across, and he got special interest in headaches so I'm guessing that he's seen a few.) However, I took it in 2009... Is there any way of getting that exam re-looked at in light of new information, or do I just have to forget about it?
    not a hope of getting it looked at so long after the event.
    you could still resit to improve the overall grade if it seems important to you.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, unless what you experienced was reported and documented at the time. Did you get a doctors note soon after the exam explaining that you had been ill - I'm not certain if there needs to be a specific diagnosis for this to be valid.

However, you probably can't as it's so long ago, and as far as the exam board is concerned, if it isn't documented then they can't know that you aren't making it up because you aren't happy with the grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    not a hope of getting it looked at so long after the event.
    you could still resit to improve the overall grade if it seems important to you.
    It bothers me, but it's not exactly a priority right now... Is there a limit on how long afterwards I can resit? For example, once I've finished my degree and professional exams (should be mid-2013), will I still be able to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    Probably not, unless what you experienced was reported and documented at the time. Did you get a doctors note soon after the exam explaining that you had been ill - I'm not certain if there needs to be a specific diagnosis for this to be valid.

However, you probably can't as it's so long ago, and as far as the exam board is concerned, if it isn't documented then they can't know that you aren't making it up because you aren't happy with the grade.
    As I said, I thought I had a brain tumour and, having just watched someone die of brain cancer, didn't want to believe it, so I ignored it - pretended it never happened, didn't see a doctor, didn't even think about it, ignored all subsequent ones as well until a different healthcare professional said it sounded like I was having migraine auras.

In retrospect, it was a very stupid decision driven out of fear.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I thought I had a brain tumour and, having just watched someone die of brain cancer, didn't want to believe it, so I ignored it - pretended it never happened, didn't see a doctor, didn't even think about it, ignored all subsequent ones as well until a different healthcare professional said it sounded like I was having migraine auras.

In retrospect, it was a very stupid decision driven out of fear.
    That's fair enough, at least you know now

Unfortunately I think if you wanted to improve the grade you'd have to do the whole course again, as the limit for resiting old style A levels (no A*) was January/June 2010. There was a little bit of phasing out time, but I think it meant that people who did their A2s in 2009 were expected to do any resits in 2010, and the people doing A2 modules for the first time in 2010 did the new (with A*) course.

ReputationRep:

Magic Mushrooms are never a good idea before an exam, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    That's fair enough, at least you know now

Unfortunately I think if you wanted to improve the grade you'd have to do the whole course again, as the limit for resiting old style A levels (no A*) was January/June 2010. There was a little bit of phasing out time, but I think it meant that people who did their A2s in 2009 were expected to do any resits in 2010, and the people doing A2 modules for the first time in 2010 did the new (with A*) course.
    Ah well, looks like I'm stuck with this damn B. Kind of annoying, know that if I had experienced the migraine a day later (last exam ) I would have achieved an A ... but nevermind, life goes on.

Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniversityLAD)
    Magic Mushrooms are never a good idea before an exam, OP.
    But they always worked before... :cry2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.