The Student Room Group

Used my five choices on UCAS but I'm wanting to apply to another University?

Basically I've found my course course that's rated quite highly at a different and highly regarded university and I'm just wondering what I can do about it?

Although I haven't spoke to admissions, which I will do, do you reckon I would have to decline my five choices then apply through UCAS extra for this course
OR
could I get in without using the UCAS system?

I'd only bother if i spoke to admissions and they'd accept me.

...Has anyone gone through the same thoughts/feelings and/or done this too?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sophiekatina
Although I haven't spoke to admissions, which I will do, do you reckon I would have to decline my five choices then apply through UCAS extra for this course

Yes, you would have to, but don't do anything before speaking to admissions (doesn't sound like you're going to, just stressing the point. :wink:)

No.
Reply 2
Basically I've found my course course that's rated quite highly at a different and highly regarded university and I'm just wondering what I can do about it?

OR

I'd only bother if i spoke to admissions and they'd accept me.

...Has anyone gone through the same thoughts/feelings and/or done this too?

Go on the ucas course search, and if there is a grey X after the course name at that uni it's in ucas extra, so you can decline all your offers and apply for it though extra. Yes, you would have to go through extra. There's a really good thread on here about extra.

Definitely ring up the uni to see if they'd accept you before declining any offers!
Reply 3
Thanks guys, I will deffo ring up the Uni no doubt! I'd be stupid not to!

Do you think it's worth the hassle though? The course is REALLY high up on every league table (in the top 4) and it's a top 20 uni? The reason I didn't apply for it before was because I was a bit worried about the Sociology element (I didn't take it at A-Level and have no knowledge of it) so I thought I shouldn't apply. What a mistake.
Do you think it's worth the hassle though? The course is REALLY high up on every league table (in the top 4) and it's a top 20 uni? The reason I didn't apply for it before was because I was a bit worried about the Sociology element (I didn't take it at A-Level and have no knowledge of it) so I thought I shouldn't apply. What a mistake.

It's definitely worth a phone call, especially if it shows as 'Open for Extra' on the UCAS listing. :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks guys, I will deffo ring up the Uni no doubt! I'd be stupid not to!

If you prefer the course and have researched the uni and made sure you like it (could you visit it?) then definitely yes! League tables for subjects are a bit rubbishy really because no employer or anyone will look at them and often the rankings are swayed by research scores which are integers, so a uni with 2.9 and a uni with 3.1 will show up as hugely different when they're not, etc.

What's the course? Very very very few people in the uk take sociology a level, loads of schools don't even offer it! Have you done essay a-level subjects? I do 3 social science subjects now and the only social science I did at A level was business studies, which hasn't helped me at all with these subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by angelmxxx
If you prefer the course and have researched the uni and made sure you like it (could you visit it?) then definitely yes! League tables for subjects are a bit rubbishy really because no employer or anyone will look at them and often the rankings are swayed by research scores which are integers, so a uni with 2.9 and a uni with 3.1 will show up as hugely different when they're not, etc.

What's the course? Very very very few people in the uk take sociology a level, loads of schools don't even offer it! Have you done essay a-level subjects? I do 3 social science subjects now and the only social science I did at A level was business studies, which hasn't helped me at all with these subjects.

I will research into it further, but it looks like it's a good one! Yeah I totally understand that.

The course is 'Communications, Media and Society' at the University of Leicester. It seems quite good despite the social side but it seems you have coped so it might not be SO BAD.
basically dear, that's against the rules.
Original post by HedonisticMe
basically dear, that's against the rules.

There's nothing against the rules about using Extra; it's a UCAS process, after all. :rolleyes:

The course is 'Communications, Media and Society' at the University of Leicester.

That course is showing up in Extra, so there's hope yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending