Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi people i was just wondering if anyone knew of any good maths books aimed at first year university students who study maths. Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in what sense? Popular maths books like the Music of the Primes? Course books on a specific topic? Course books on general maths? A reference guide? History of maths?

ReputationRep:
    A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics, Martin Liebeck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Well, in what sense? Popular maths books like the Music of the Primes? Course books on a specific topic? Course books on general maths? A reference guide? History of maths?
    On discrete maths, possibly graph theory. Also group theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsisfunny)
    On discrete maths, possibly graph theory. Also group theory.
    Sorry, neither are my kinds of topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Sorry, neither are my kinds of topics.
    I am also interested in complex analysis, but only know the absolute basics of it.

ReputationRep:
    A book I found helpful was an 'Introduction to Graph Theory' was only a small book and yellow in colour but really straight forward and helpful.
    If you're already at Uni then the library may have it!

As for the other topics I've not really used any text books to cover them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sazzlejames)
    A book I found helpful was an 'Introduction to Graph Theory' was only a small book and yellow in colour but really straight forward and helpful.
    If you're already at Uni then the library may have it!

As for the other topics I've not really used any text books to cover them.
    How did you cover them then?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    My modules are broken up very strangely!
    I did group theory separately to graph theory and well never looked at a book about it
    ...and my graph theory lecturer was so bad I preferred to read the book then deal with him!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no :eek:
    Thank you for the suggestion. If you can think of more from any area of mathematics please tell me.

ReputationRep:
    I am also interested in complex analysis, but only know the absolute basics of it.
    It is pretty stupid to study complex analysis without having analysis assuming you are a first year undergrad. Most of the ideas of complex analysis is building upon stuff that should be obvious to you like epsilon delta proves.

How to prove it By Daniel Velleman. You could try reading Peter Eccles An introduction to Mathematical reasoning, sets, numbers and functions.

I'm enjoying Michael Artin's Algebra (which will cover group theory). And Priestley's Introduction to Complex Analysis, but you'd want some grounding in regular old analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    It is pretty stupid to study complex analysis without having analysis assuming you are a first year undergrad. Most of the ideas of complex analysis is building upon stuff that should be obvious to you like epsilon delta proves.

How to prove it By Daniel Velleman. You could try reading Peter Eccles An introduction to Mathematical reasoning, sets, numbers and functions.
    I thought that analysis encompassed complex analysis but i am probably way off.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that analysis encompassed complex analysis but i am probably way off.
    It's nice you are interested in all this stuff. But, as GA said you need to get grounding in regular analysis.

You just be wasting your time if you read books in Complex analysis. Once you read a book on complex analysis you should look at A visual guide to complex analysis Needham. However, get it from the library.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    It's nice you are interested in all this stuff. But, as GA said you need to get grounding in regular analysis.

You just be wasting your time if you read books in Complex analysis. Once you read a book on complex analysis you should look at A visual guide to complex analysis Needham. However, get it from the library.
    What would you suggest for regular analysis then.

ReputationRep:
    You might try Groups and their Graphs by Grossman as an introduction to group theory.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.