Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is bodybuilding not often considered to be a "real" talent/sport by most people? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a bit on the heavy side when I was a kid. I didn't find conventional team sports that interesting, and I wasn't any good at them. I didn't get much exercise, I ate poorly and I was made fun of for having a bad physique. I developed a really bad body image, and my confidence plummeted and stayed down... until I started working out.

Going to the gym was probably one of the best decisions I ever made. Working out was a massive breakthrough for me. I found it challenging, tiring, but also hugely beneficial and it always boosted my mood. Before long I had a better body than most people I knew, and I'm still striving to make gains, perfect my diet and form, push myself even further in my workouts. I haven't looked back since. I don't plan on competing or making a career out of it, but it's still such a part of my life, I'm tempted to say it's a passion.

I don't understand though why when somebody asks me what my hobbies/interests/talents etc. are, when I mention bodybuilding and working out, they always give me a funny look. Just because it doesn't involve running around with a ball or making music, people I know seem to find it almost stupid and uninspiring.

How do other people react to you when you mention working out? How large a part of your life has it been?

ReputationRep:
    Bodybuilding is seen as a sport if it's done competitively. It's not my cup of tea. However just going to the gym and doing reps is not the same in my opinion... It's the same as someone who kicks a ball in the park with their mate and claims that they're a footballer.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is because it doesn't really take a lot of skill, just a copious amount of determination and dedication.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it is a worthwhile endeavor (If you can be arsed) it is also a egocentric, "selfish" "Sport" - And that's the societal view on the matter too. Bodybuilding is too one dimensional.

People can enjoy watching a footballer play football, they can listen to a decent musician. This is not the case with Bodybuilding, there is no medium for an observer to enjoy body building outside of the superficial microcosm of popular aesthetics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas...)
    I think it is because it doesn't really take a lot of skill, just a copious amount of determination and dedication.
    You're right about it not needing true "skill", but aren't determination and dedication still important too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmericanPsycho)
    You're right about it not needing true "skill", but aren't determination and dedication still important too?
    They are extremely important, without either one could not work out to a strict regime and see proper results.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't require any special talents or skills. Yes determination and perseverance are both very important, but not, in most people's eyes, as important as having something special about you that other people don't have. Anyone could lift weights and bulk up, not everyone can be a skilled footballer/rugby player etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't involve them then it's of no use i.e personal gain.
    Reading from OP I used to be in a similar situation but reflecting over how I used to look to my current form boosts my confidence. Each day I set my limits and over the time they have been on the rise (Minus my last three months workout) This reminds me of never neglecting what you have started otherwise you get the feeling of "starting all over again".
    Hopefully my recovery will be quicker.

ReputationRep:
    As people have said, it doesn't really require any skills, just dedication and the right body. Also, I suspect if suffers from the fact that it is difficult to judge objectively.

ReputationRep:
    People probably also think of it as a sign of vanity--a guy who is too concerned with how he looks usually isn't viewed positively in society. I know that when I think of a bodybuilder I picture a really buff, orange tan guy in a speedo, showing off his muscles. This obviously isn't true of most bodybuilders, but it's the idea that comes most readily to mind.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest talent is associated with something that requires an element of skill - im not saying that bodybuilding doesn't require skill but compared to other sports I don't think it takes as much

Also I think a sport should be entertaining and I don't think bodybuilding is particularly interesting - I think working out for most people is simply just a way to stay healthy

ReputationRep:
    Yes, determination and dedication and even more so, focus are things that are overlooked in pretty much all areas, not just sports.

In a totally different situation, I used to sit next to a guy in secondary school who was genuinely good at maths (I was usually top of the class in maths), probably as good as me, if not better, but despite getting amazing marks occasionally, he just couldn't do well on average as he hardly didn't study. I didn't study much either but enough to at least know theorems and certain methods.

As you'd expect, he was quite admired for doing so well occasionally with zero study time. I once had a fairly serious conversation with him and he admitted that it was not out of a choice that he didn't study hard. He simply couldn't, even if he tried. He didn't have the focus or the drive.

He's now running a personal security company and although not doing bad for himself, he couldn't finish his uni studies.

A lot of sports are exactly the same. Although the British public particularly focus on sports which require obvious natural talent: football in particular, people are often not aware of the difference there is between having determination and focus and lacking it. Natural talent can only get you so far even in sports like football. Often what makes the difference is those that can focus and those that can't.

The average sports viewer (rather than sportsmen and women) rarely grasps this concept. We're usually more interested in how "naturally talented" sportsmen are, forgetting the fact that the vast majority of sports are about determination and focus, not about simply having a gift.

However, again bodybuilding is a sport with international federations and competitions. Just pumping your muscles down at the gym is not doing bodybuilding as a sport in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Sport: An active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition.

The act of building muscle requires physical exertion. However, competing at shows is essentially a beauty contest, whoever is judged to have the most impressive physique wins. There is not physical exertion by actually competing, so it can't be defined as a sport.

An actual beauty pageant requires some physical exertion to keep fit and it has competition, but it isn’t a sport because when competing there is no physical activity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Yes, determination and dedication and even more so, focus are things that are overlooked in pretty much all areas, not just sports.

In a totally different situation, I used to sit next to a guy in secondary school who was genuinely good at maths (I was usually top of the class in maths), probably as good as me, if not better, but despite getting amazing marks occasionally, he just couldn't do well on average as he hardly didn't study. I didn't study much either but enough to at least know theorems and certain methods.

As you'd expect, he was quite admired for doing so well occasionally with zero study time. I once had a fairly serious conversation with him and he admitted that it was not out of a choice that he didn't study hard. He simply couldn't, even if he tried. He didn't have the focus or the drive.

He's now running a personal security company and although not doing bad for himself, he couldn't finish his uni studies.

A lot of sports are exactly the same. Although the British public particularly focus on sports which require obvious natural talent: football in particular, people are often not aware of the difference there is between having determination and focus and lacking it. Natural talent can only get you so far even in sports like football. Often what makes the difference is those that can focus and those that can't.

The average sports viewer (rather than sportsmen and women) rarely grasps this concept. We're usually more interested in how "naturally talented" sportsmen are, forgetting the fact that the vast majority of sports are about determination and focus, not about simply having a gift.

However, again bodybuilding is a sport with international federations and competitions. Just pumping your muscles down at the gym is not doing bodybuilding as a sport in my opinion.
    Good points there, and you're right, an average joe trying to get into shape at the gym isn't real "bodybuilding". But you can't look at arnold schwarzenegger in his weightlifting days and say the guy wasn't talented (of course, bearing in mind finding someone as big as arnie is a very, very rare occurrence)

ReputationRep:
    Because most people are unaesthetic and jelly.

ReputationRep:
    Good points there, and you're right, an average joe trying to get into shape at the gym isn't real "bodybuilding". But you can't look at arnold schwarzenegger in his weightlifting days and say the guy wasn't talented (of course, bearing in mind finding someone as big as arnie is a very, very rare occurrence)
    Indeed. I read about Arnold Schwarzenneger's relationship with Wag Bennett, a British bodybuilder who turned him into Mr Universe.

This isn't the article I read but it describes the same thing:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4862637.ece

Schwarzenegger, born in Graz not long after the Second World War, was only 19 when he came to Britain in 1966, with his eyes on that year’s Mr Universe title. Bennett, who was one of the judges of the competition, and Dianne were impressed by the determination of the virtually penniless youth, as well as by the bizarre impression he made, almost visibly growing out of his clothes in front of them
    How many people would be prepared to do that for their sport? Not many. Most people would wuss out long before any such challenge presents themselves to them.

It's easy for people who don't do sports competitively to assume that everything is just about being talented/not talented and if you're talented, then it's all about just doing the sport for fun.

I respect a sport like bodybuilding although it's not one I'd ever want to get into. But it takes a lot of determination for people to take it that far. It's one thing just messing about in the gym...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    It doesn't require any special talents or skills. Yes determination and perseverance are both very important, but not, in most people's eyes, as important as having something special about you that other people don't have. Anyone could lift weights and bulk up, not everyone can be a skilled footballer/rugby player etc.
    You're completely and utterly wrong. The genetic component in bodybuilding success at the top level is just the same as at any other sport i.e. if you aren't in the genetic cream of the crop, you will never get to the top.

Genetically gifted bodybuilders have good 'lines,' muscle attachments and a bone structure which is pretty much entirely genetic. You can't change your attachments through any amount of training and this will hurt you at top level competition. In the same way some people instinctively 'get' football/rugby because of better hand-eye co-ordination, having a gifted structure for running fast etc.

ReputationRep:
    Bodybuilding is entirely subjective and qualitative, where as real sports are quantitative in their results. TBH bodybuilding is more of an art form and it definitely isn't easy otherwise there wouldn't be so many skinny sh*ts in the gym

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloodbath)
    Bodybuilding is entirely subjective and qualitative, where as real sports are quantitative in their results.
    Is figure skating a sport? I think so, but that's qualitative.

----

OP, I don't consider bodybuilding a sport because there's no athletic component in the competition. This doesn't mean that it isn't worthwhile or fun though, just means (in my view) that it ain't a sport.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.