Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There have been studies to suggest that shopping everyday makes you healthier than the next person, well kind of obvious really? Shopping=Walking around= Exercise.

Anyway the obvious has been proven. More about it here.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if the thread has been done before, also heard this was discussed on loose women.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, so long as you're not shopping for cakes, sweets, chocolate and other junk food, and you don't stop for calorific drinks while you have a rest.

ReputationRep:
    Women finding ever more cunning ways to get into my wallet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Women finding ever more cunning ways to get into my wallet.
    haha yeah this is just going to be an added excuse now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    Yes, so long as you're not shopping for cakes, sweets, chocolate and other junk food, and you don't stop for calorific drinks while you have a rest.
    Wait, but it is better that your shopping for them rather than just having them cakes, sweets, chocolate and other junk food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Wait, but it is better that your shopping for them rather than just having them cakes, sweets, chocolate and other junk food?
    Not particularly, because a lot of people vastly over-estimate how many calories are actually burnt by walking and think that they can justify having treats in town because they've 'burnt all the extra calories off anyway' when it's simply not true. They will eat more than they would have done at home.

ReputationRep:
    This helps to justify the frequency of my Westfield trips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    Not particularly, because a lot of people vastly over-estimate how many calories are actually burnt by walking and think that they can justify having treats in town because they've 'burnt all the extra calories off anyway' when it's simply not true. They will eat more than they would have done at home.
    yeah but I bet they also don't account (underestimate) how many calories they are burning or by simply standing there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    This helps to justify the frequency of my Westfield trips.
    Surely it is all just common sense though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Surely it is all just common sense though?
    Very much so. I'd argue that the emotional benefits outweigh the physical benefits though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Very much so. I'd argue that the emotional benefits outweigh the physical benefits though.
    Arr fair point but do they?
    I mean surely it is only short term gratifcation really?

ReputationRep:
    Ah my psychology teacher told us to look at it in the way that the more you shop, the more money you are likely to have, the better healthcare etc you are able to afford therefore you live longer as opposed to the whole walking argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicaaax)
    Ah my psychology teacher told us to look at it in the way that the more you shop, the more money you are likely to have, the better healthcare etc you are able to afford therefore you live longer as opposed to the whole walking argument
    I think that is a pretty terrible point in all fairness.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.