Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is a fairly specific question so I don't know how well you guys will be able to answer, but any attempts would be appreciated. Basically I am planning to apply for GEM entry in 2012/2013, and I am currently working as an HCA (six months now, really enjoying it). I may have the opportunity to live and work abroad next year as a language teacher - I would be sorely tempted to take this opportunity if I am offered it as I have been studying/working constantly since leaving school, and would I love some time to travel and experience another culture - I am slightly concerned, however, about how such a move would be viewed by those reviewing applications at medical schools: would it be seen as indicating a lack of commitment to healthcare/medicine?

By the time I leave I will have had approximately ten months full time HCA work under my belt, so perhaps that will deemed good enough. I also feel that I can argue that many of the skills I would develop and acquire from going abroad (communication/mental agility/ability to work independently) are relevant to medicine, and would hope that this would be viewed in the context of me only being 21 and never having had a gap year or anything similar. Ultimately though, I don't know whether these things would be deemed an adequate "defence".

Sorry about the length of this post, it's just that this is kind of stressing me out now - getting in is going to be difficult enough without me doing anything that could potentially harm my chances! If anybody has any insights or opinions shout out.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see how that would hinder your application at all. I think that sounds like a brilliant opportunity and I would take it if I were you! It'll be a nice talking point at interview. You've done a lot of HCA work so I wouldn't worry about the medical-related work if I were you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusicNow)
    This is a fairly specific question so I don't know how well you guys will be able to answer, but any attempts would be appreciated. Basically I am planning to apply for GEM entry in 2012/2013, and I am currently working as an HCA (six months now, really enjoying it). I may have the opportunity to live and work abroad next year as a language teacher - I would be sorely tempted to take this opportunity if I am offered it as I have been studying/working constantly since leaving school, and would I love some time to travel and experience another culture - I am slightly concerned, however, about how such a move would be viewed by those reviewing applications at medical schools: would it be seen as indicating a lack of commitment to healthcare/medicine?

By the time I leave I will have had approximately ten months full time HCA work under my belt, so perhaps that will deemed good enough. I also feel that I can argue that many of the skills I would develop and acquire from going abroad (communication/mental agility/ability to work independently) are relevant to medicine, and would hope that this would be viewed in the context of me only being 21 and never having had a gap year or anything similar. Ultimately though, I don't know whether these things would be deemed an adequate "defence".

Sorry about the length of this post, it's just that this is kind of stressing me out now - getting in is going to be difficult enough without me doing anything that could potentially harm my chances! If anybody has any insights or opinions shout out.
    Where are you applying to? Some weight work experience more highly than others!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure - but just as a logisitical thought, is it going to be feasible to travel back for 1-4 interviews from wherever you're planning to go? As you're talking of another culture, I'm assuming it'll be somewhere slightly more far-flung than Europe, and that can make comeing back for interviews time consuming and expensive. Sounds like a great opportunity though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winter_mute)
    Where are you applying to? Some weight work experience more highly than others!
    I'm currently planning on Nottingham, St Georges, Swansea and a UKCAT University (my numerical reasoning needs so much work I'm not thinking too much about the UKCAT schools).

That is something I have thought about, and I can envision it causing problems, financially as well as logistics wise! I do think it will be possible, however, particularly if I make the slightly negative (but fairly reasonable assumption) that I will probably only get one or two interviews at most.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.